SNY Coach's Corner With Norm Roberts

• 7 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
SNY Coach's Corner With Norm Roberts
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:00:24 PM »
http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091012&content_id=7440494&oid=2&vkey=21

An interesting team-related note (besides Roberts' relationship with Carnesecca and wishing the team was a little bit taller like Skee-Lo) on Mase:

What about Mason now that he's back?
Anthony Mason, Jr. has a great impact. He gives us a lot of versatility. He has the ability to score and to rebound. He adds a lot to our team. The thing with Mason is he's going to have to find a way to re-connect with the team and get involved. He's been out for a whole year. It's like any other situation where an individual goes away to the army or to school and he leaves his younger brothers. While he's gone his younger brothers grow up. And while he [Mason] was gone, his younger brothers have gotten better. So now we need to try to fit Mason into that. Once we do that our team will grow even more.

LJSA

Re: SNY Coach's Corner With Norm Roberts
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:06:35 PM »
Is this the best unit you've had entering a season?

We're deeper than we've ever been. I wish we were a little taller. I also think we're more versatile than we've ever been. I think we have 13 Big East players. Guys that can be effective in the Big East. I don't think I've been able to say that in the last few years. I think we have a group that really, really competes every day. I think there's a lot of different lineups we can put on the floor and be very successful.

Why can't Norm just bring himself to say, "Yes, this is the best"? Would it create too many expectations for his boss?

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 03:11:27 PM »

We're deeper than we've ever been. I wish we were a little taller. I also think we're more versatile than we've ever been. I think we have 13 Big East players. Guys that can be effective in the Big East. I don't think I've been able to say that in the last few years. I think we have a group that really, really competes every day. I think there's a lot of different lineups we can put on the floor and be very successful.

Why can't Norm just bring himself to say, "Yes, this is the best"? Would it create too many expectations for his boss?

Nitpick

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »
"How's the work ethic?
Even guys like DJ, the new guys in Dwight Hardy, Malik Stith. These
guys really, really work. Omari Lawrence is getting better. Justin
 Brownlee is a tremendous athlete and going to be a very good player."

I look forward to the depth & Brownlee, Stith & Hardy's immed contributions.

I sense thet Omari might be a little behind in conditioning ?
Even if Omari is not ready yet, his time to shine will come.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:56:25 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 01:50:24 PM »
Hopin fo the best.
Expectin... well thats a whole other story.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 02:06:56 PM »

Nitpick

I agree no need to nitpick! 88-169 there is A LOTto pick at.

kjd01067

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 02:13:23 PM »

What about Mason now that he's back?
Anthony Mason, Jr. has a great impact. He gives us a lot of versatility. He has the ability to score and to rebound. He adds a lot to our team. The thing with Mason is he's going to have to find a way to re-connect with the team and get involved. He's been out for a whole year. It's like any other situation where an individual goes away to the army or to school and he leaves his younger brothers. While he's gone his younger brothers grow up. And while he [Mason] was gone, his younger brothers have gotten better. So now we need to try to fit Mason into that. Once we do that our team will grow even more.

This might be the key to the season.  Can mason fit in with the rest of the guys or is everyone going to revert back to watching him dribble and chuck?  If Mason can learn to pass and move in an offense he can make the guys around him better and himself better.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 03:36:21 PM »
Norm is always deflecting to these types of questions. To his defense he never gets caught saying something that he has a chance of not delivering on. I can see how it would frustrate the fan to his noncommittal answers as you wish he'd show more backbone...yes we'll make the NCAA tourney, yes we'll be top 8 in the conference, yes, yes, yes. At least Norm will have a good career in politics if he chooses.  :-\
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle