Is this the year St. John's plays uptempo?

• 41 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Is this the year St. John's plays uptempo?
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:00:25 PM »
Thinking about the depth this team has - seemingly real depth - and a repeatedly stated desire of Norm Roberts to play uptempo, is this the year the team actively tries to run and gun, force turnovers with the press, and get quick shots?

Consider: there are two quick point guards; depth at the guard/ wing positions; and the roster is heavily weighted towards the smaller players; the main ballhandlers are also not strong offensive threats unless on the run.  The team's "depth" in the past has consisted of players who look terrible on the court (from the diminished Daryll Hill to Ricky Torres and TyShwan).

Also consider: Norm has run with the team at times, but will pull the reins in during conference play (though the team was running with Pitt and some of the other teams last year); the ballhandlers, as far as we know, are not going to be low turnover players (and there are turnovers to be had at the forward positions as well); it takes a stifling defense or turnovers to create a real running team, or else the other team's defense can set up and slow down run-outs and be in position to defend quick shots.

What do you think?

Re: Is this the year St. John's plays uptempo?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »
1 last thing to consider ... Our bigs are all real athletic.  They aren't your typical post up bigs and I think in a track meet they'd excel vs other bigs. 

The biggest concern I have in regards to our team running is rebounding, if you dont grab defensive boards its hopeless.  JB has to board like he can and throw those outlet passes to get this team moving.   

Overall I hope we run as atleast it'll be more exciting basketball.  With this season being so important for recruits it'd be real helpful for them to all see a running team rather then the stagnant ugly team of previous years. 

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:37:20 PM »
Coach dont seem to prefer the uptempo base on his years here.
Dont press much.
Dont trap much.
Dont outlet much.
All that equal no runnin' despite havin the horses.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »
NO!!!!!

In order to run you need:
1. To rebound-Evans is undersized, and JB is an awful rebounder. Our best rebounder is Kennedy and he is 6-6.

2. Wings and a point that are good three point shooters- Kennedy and Horne are not really what you would call knockdown shooters. Hardy supposedly shoots much better than that clip we saw, but since he plays the same position as Horne, how much will he play? Oh and Boothe shoots like a kid at a carnival trying to shoot the ball through those little 15 foot hoops. It is actually sad to watch.

3. Quality point or wings that can bring the ball up off a rebound-Nothing I have seen from Boothe in two years has made me believe he could be a solid BE point guard. As for the wings, Kennedy and Horne def would be better in a running system, however......

4. Coach who wants to run- If someone does something for 5 years that is who they are, it is not something they will change. 5 years is a long time! If you are with a girl for 5 years, don't expect her to start swinging from chandeliers or suggesting a threesome with another chick in the 6th year! It aint gonna happen, just like Norm aint going to magically turn into Paul Westhead!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 12:48:54 PM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 01:23:51 PM »
I think running in the past was always a challenge
Because we weren't athletic, or deep enough.

Also, if you're playing a team that runs better than you,
What's the point?

Tha Kid

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:35:44 PM »
We should run but I agree with choz, don't see any reason to think we will.  Basketball isnt like football...you dont need a complete team overhaul to implement your strategy.  If we didnt run last year, why would we run this year?  We SHOULD, I just doubt it.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 01:39:21 PM »

What's the point?

I agree he hasn't had the personal to run, but he still doesn't! He has had 5years to recruit to play a faster style and he has not. You do not need 5 star recruits to run, look at the Pitino Providence team! Either Norm chose to recruit players that fit his boring ball or he has no idea what he is doing recruiting wise.. Probably a bit of both.

gonzalo

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 01:43:23 PM »
NO!!!!!

1. To rebound-Evans is undersized, and JB is an awful rebounder. Our best rebounder is Kennedy and he is 6-6.

2. Wings and a point that are good three point shooters- Kennedy and Horne are not really what you would call knockdown shooters. Hardy supposedly shoots much better than that clip we saw, but since he plays the same position as Horne, how much will he play? Oh and Boothe shoots like a kid at a carnival trying to shoot the ball through those little 15 foot hoops. It is actually sad to watch.

3. Quality point or wings that can bring the ball up off a rebound-Nothing I have seen from Boothe in two years has made me believe he could be a solid BE point guard. As for the wings, Kennedy and Horne def would be better in a running system, however......

4. Coach who wants to run- If someone does something for 5 years that is who they are, it is not something they will change. 5 years is a long time! If you are with a girl for 5 years, don't expect her to start swinging from chandeliers or suggesting a threesome with another chick in the 6th year! It aint gonna happen, just like Norm aint going to magically turn into Paul Westhead!

1. St. John´s outrebounded Big East opponents last season (+3.3).

2. Your argument is illogical. You need more shooters if you don´t run because you are losing an offensive option.

3. True.

4. True.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 02:00:15 PM »
NO!!!!!

2. Your argument is illogical. You need more shooters if you don´t run because you are losing an offensive option.

3. True.

4. True.

I would expect nothing else from you! You can't possibly understand basketball from following box scores on the internet! Running teams shoot more threes than half court teams it is a fact! Look up the UNLV, LMU, any Pitino team, Mike D'antoni's teams and see where they placed in three attempts. Running teams get open looks at threes that half court teams do not. Furthermore there are more possesions so more shots. Lastly if you are getting more possesions it makes sense to shoot more threes as even if you shoot a lower % you still will score more points. ANYONE WHO HAS PLAYED OR WATCHED BASKETBALL WOULD KNOW THIS!

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 02:02:16 PM »

What's the point?

I agree he hasn't had the personal to run, but he still doesn't! He has had 5years to recruit to play a faster style and he has not. You do not need 5 star recruits to run, look at the Pitino Providence team! Either Norm chose to recruit players that fit his boring ball or he has no idea what he is doing recruiting wise.. Probably a bit of both.

We got the horses.
Paris, DJ, JB, Sean, Malik, Omari, the kid from Harrisburg. All them is straight up athletes.
This aint no team made up of Fred Lysons.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »

What's the point?

We got the horses.
Paris, DJ, JB, Sean, Malik, Omari, the kid from Harrisburg. All them is straight up athletes.

Do you have faith in Boothe running a break?
Will we rebound well enough in the BE?
Do we have enough three point shooting?
WILL NORM ACTUALLY HAVE THE TEAM RUN?

gonzalo

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »

What's the point?

We got the horses.

You are the only one who says that you need shooters to be a running team. You are more intelligent each day. Congratulations.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »
I agree with wasju that we need to rebound in order to orchestrate a fast break style of play. I do think we have that ability. Our rebounding numbers were + in our favor last year but we had a staggering amount of offensive rebounds which showed good hustle but also poor shooting. We do need to pick up some slack on the defensive end. We aren't THAT bad though at rebounding like wasju might be making us out to be.

Also to respond to tha kid, we didn't run last year because we were very short handed on ball handlers. We did run the ball a lot up until the BC game and then the injuries started coming in to play. A healthy Boothe and Stith will really aid our ball handling in terms of running the break and hopefully cut down on turnovers in general. Also having Hardy and Lawrence in addition to Horne, Kennedy, Roberts as secondary ball handlers will also be an improvement.

Also depth is just huge, we don't have to worry about minutes as much because of foul trouble. We played timid at times last year because of this. We can play much more aggressive when you have guys like Hardy, Lawrence, Brownlee coming off the bench instead of Edmondson, Wait, and Tomas.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 02:32:52 PM »
We should run but I agree with choz, don't see any reason to think we will.  Basketball isnt like football...you dont need a complete team overhaul to implement your strategy.  If we didnt run last year, why would we run this year?  We SHOULD, I just doubt it.

I think they run, Norm hasnt had the horses to get out and move the ball up the court. This year he finally does

gonzalo

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »
NO!!!!!

3. True.

4. True.

I would expect nothing else from you! You can't possibly understand basketball from following box scores on the internet! Running teams shoot more threes than half court teams it is a fact! Look up the UNLV, LMU, any Pitino team, Mike D'antoni's teams and see where they placed in three attempts. Running teams get open looks at threes that half court teams do not. Furthermore there are more possesions so more shots. Lastly if you are getting more possesions it makes sense to shoot more threes as even if you shoot a lower % you still will score more points. ANYONE WHO HAS PLAYED OR WATCHED BASKETBALL WOULD KNOW THIS!

According to the team records, the 2006-07 team is the St. John´s team that has attempted more three point shots per game. Norm was the coach.

According to your "argument" the 2006-07 team (with Eugene Lawrence) was more running that the 1998-99 team (with Erick Barkley).

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 02:36:07 PM »
NO!!!!!

3. True.

4. True.

According to the team records, the 2006-07 team is the St. John´s team that has attempted more three point shots per game. Norm was the coach.

According to your "argument" the 2006-07 team (with Eugene Lawrence) was more running that the 1998-99 team (with Erick Barkley).

SJU has never been a running team becuase they were usually small and lacked good three point shooters. Norm's team shoot threes becuase they are passing the ball around the perimeter and that is the only shot they have as the clock expires. The Elite 8 team was an opportunistic running team becuase both forwards rebounded and all 5 guys could pass. This team does not have that skill.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:40:29 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 03:00:41 PM »
NO!!!!!

3. True.

4. True.

SJU has never been a running team becuase they were usually small and lacked good three point shooters. Norm's team shoot threes becuase they are passing the ball around the perimeter and that is the only shot they have as the clock expires. The Elite 8 team was an opportunistic running team becuase both forwards rebounded and all 5 guys could pass. This team does not have that skill.

I thought Larry Wright was a 3 point specialist? ;D ;D

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 03:08:16 PM »
NO!!!!!

3. True.

4. True.

I thought Larry Wright was a 3 point specialist? ;D ;D

I am going to rip off Gorgonzola's thing here for a minute.
Wright shot 40% from three his last year.
Horne shot 33%, Kennedy shot 33% and Boothe only shot 21% better than you did last year from three.

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »

1. No doubt.
2. Dont know.
3. Dont know.
4. No way.

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 03:26:25 PM »
I agree with wasju that we need to rebound in order to orchestrate a fast break style of play. I do think we have that ability. Our rebounding numbers were + in our favor last year but we had a staggering amount of offensive rebounds which showed good hustle but also poor shooting. We do need to pick up some slack on the defensive end. We aren't THAT bad though at rebounding like wasju might be making us out to be.

Also to respond to tha kid, we didn't run last year because we were very short handed on ball handlers. We did run the ball a lot up until the BC game and then the injuries started coming in to play. A healthy Boothe and Stith will really aid our ball handling in terms of running the break and hopefully cut down on turnovers in general. Also having Hardy and Lawrence in addition to Horne, Kennedy, Roberts as secondary ball handlers will also be an improvement.

Also depth is just huge, we don't have to worry about minutes as much because of foul trouble. We played timid at times last year because of this. We can play much more aggressive when you have guys like Hardy, Lawrence, Brownlee coming off the bench instead of Edmondson, Wait, and Tomas.

No disrespct to Malik Stith, but I think you puttin too much into him.

I aint ever seen the brother play so what do I know? But thing is this: I aint ever seen a frosh point play exceptional 'less they come in wit a rep.