Hoyas draw 1200 to their Open Practice

• 32 replies

boo3

Re: Hoyas draw 1200 to their Open Practice
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 04:46:11 PM »
i wrote the post on casual hoya.  i find this thread very amusing because no matter the school or the topic, people find ways to bicker about the most minute details.

there were not 1200 people at the open practice.  there were not 300.  i have no idea how many people there were, i cant estimate crowd sizes.  the 300-1200 estimate was a joke...

you beat us twice last year.  i cried.  twice.  reminded me of when you beat us with 4 schollies players in 2004.  looking forward to our new year's eve matinee this year...

Same to assume your not the biggest JT3 fan?  Wanna trade coaches?  We'll even throw in a couple shooting guards,  no problem!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 04:48:43 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 05:15:19 PM »
i wrote the post on casual hoya.  i find this thread very amusing because no matter the school or the topic, people find ways to bicker about the most minute details.

there were not 1200 people at the open practice.  there were not 300.  i have no idea how many people there were, i cant estimate crowd sizes.  the 300-1200 estimate was a joke...

you beat us twice last year.  i cried.  twice.  reminded me of when you beat us with 4 schollies players in 2004.  looking forward to our new year's eve matinee this year...

Yea like redstormhoopsfan said no bickering. We do tend to nitpick at times though but thats what forums are for  ;D

Love the site and welcome to Johnny Jungle. I love when other school's fans sign up here and participate in discussion. Its always great to get the other perspective.

Did you get a chance to go the hoyamania?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 05:20:12 PM »
I'm actually a huge supporter of JT3.  The blogging name comes from a horribly bad inside joke with friends that involves a Linksys router and not being able to use the same network name twice.  I got fed up after spending hours on the phone trying to figure out why my WiFi network wouldn't work only to be told I can't reuse my "Fire Esherick" network name again.  The "F" bitterly and illogically turned into an "H" and the rest is history... [Insert awkward silence].

I think we will be alright in the Big East this year, it is definitely less top heavy than last year.  Predicting 5th, hoping for 4th, think Louisville is overrated this year.  Nova and WVU run away with the top, UConn takes third and the rest is a dog fight.  We still have a weak bench but praying Monroe starts to take over games instead of looking to pass first.  Can blame last year on a lot of factors: chemistry, schedule, youth but this year there should be no excuses. 

What you guys thinking this year?  Tough break on Mason Jr., I feel like he has been on your team for 10 years and been injured for 11 of them.

Tha Kid

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 05:22:55 PM »
I wasn’t trying to compare the events, but obviously it seemed to some posters that a comparison was in order. I thought it was pretty good that they drew 1200 people to an “enhanced” open practice. I didn’t see the attendance figures from their Midnight Madness event, but it would not surprise me if they drew several thousand fans.

You asked me “Are you trying to compare this to our pep rally? There is a large difference between pep-rally and open practice.”

I replied “Yes! This was much more than an open practice.”
I think maybe you took my yes to be that I was comparing the events. It wasn’t a plug for GT or a dig at SJU, and I’m sorry if some readers seemed to take it one way or the other.

As for our Stormfest, I was unable to attend due to a work commitment. I would have attended without question if the situation permitted. From memory I have missed two home games in the last four or five years, and made up for that with five or six road trips to see them play.

I don’t know what public safety considered the capacity at Taffner for this event, but if it were held in CA I would have liked to hear that we drew 3000-4000.

Lastly I thought the website’s tagline was a very interesting way of stating the middle ground for an issue: where cynical meets the delusional.   
Think of it this way:  WASJU = cynical,  RSHF = delusional.

Oh ok that clears up a few misinterpretations of your post I had.

I do think having 1,200 people at Georgetown's open practice is pretty good. I don't think its amazing either though.

I think having mostly 1,200 students at St. John's midnight madness event was pretty good in comparison to recent years but idealy I think it can be much greater if marketed to the alumni and public better. Also it needs to be in CA and St. John's administrators conceived that to me as well when I questioned them on it that night. 

The coaching staff has a soft spot for Taffner though because I think they want to show off the practice facility, weight room, and offices to the recruits. 

I see no reason why next season we can't get 5,000+ at the event. I will do everything I can to assist the University if they are open to ideas I have.

The Uni can undoubtedly do a better job marketing, but there is ONE BIG THING needed in order to even dream of getting 5000 fans at a midnight madness ---- WIN!   If the team doesn't win this year, and Norm is retained, I would wager $1000 there is no way to get 5000 at st johns madness unless they are giving free ipods away to every attendee.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »
I wasn’t trying to compare the events, but obviously it seemed to some posters that a comparison was in order. I thought it was pretty good that they drew 1200 people to an “enhanced” open practice. I didn’t see the attendance figures from their Midnight Madness event, but it would not surprise me if they drew several thousand fans.

You asked me “Are you trying to compare this to our pep rally? There is a large difference between pep-rally and open practice.”

I think maybe you took my yes to be that I was comparing the events. It wasn’t a plug for GT or a dig at SJU, and I’m sorry if some readers seemed to take it one way or the other.

As for our Stormfest, I was unable to attend due to a work commitment. I would have attended without question if the situation permitted. From memory I have missed two home games in the last four or five years, and made up for that with five or six road trips to see them play.

I don’t know what public safety considered the capacity at Taffner for this event, but if it were held in CA I would have liked to hear that we drew 3000-4000.

Lastly I thought the website’s tagline was a very interesting way of stating the middle ground for an issue: where cynical meets the delusional.   

I do think having 1,200 people at Georgetown's open practice is pretty good. I don't think its amazing either though.

I think having mostly 1,200 students at St. John's midnight madness event was pretty good in comparison to recent years but idealy I think it can be much greater if marketed to the alumni and public better. Also it needs to be in CA and St. John's administrators conceived that to me as well when I questioned them on it that night. 

The coaching staff has a soft spot for Taffner though because I think they want to show off the practice facility, weight room, and offices to the recruits. 

I see no reason why next season we can't get 5,000+ at the event. I will do everything I can to assist the University if they are open to ideas I have.

The Uni can undoubtedly do a better job marketing, but there is ONE BIG THING needed in order to even dream of getting 5000 fans at a midnight madness ---- WIN!   If the team doesn't win this year, and Norm is retained, I would wager $1000 there is no way to get 5000 at st johns madness unless they are giving free ipods away to every attendee.

I agree 100% with your post.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »
I'm actually a huge supporter of JT3.  The blogging name comes from a horribly bad inside joke with friends that involves a Linksys router and not being able to use the same network name twice.  I got fed up after spending hours on the phone trying to figure out why my WiFi network wouldn't work only to be told I can't reuse my "Fire Esherick" network name again.  The "F" bitterly and illogically turned into an "H" and the rest is history... [Insert awkward silence].

I think we will be alright in the Big East this year, it is definitely less top heavy than last year.  Predicting 5th, hoping for 4th, think Louisville is overrated this year.  Nova and WVU run away with the top, UConn takes third and the rest is a dog fight.  We still have a weak bench but praying Monroe starts to take over games instead of looking to pass first.  Can blame last year on a lot of factors: chemistry, schedule, youth but this year there should be no excuses. 

What you guys thinking this year?  Tough break on Mason Jr., I feel like he has been on your team for 10 years and been injured for 11 of them.

I think I would throw Cuse into the mix with UConn. I agree with your top 2 though they are clearly ahead of the pack and Louisville and Pitt are both overrated. I'm on the Seton Hall bandwagon this year as I think they are gonna make some noise.

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »

Dave staff wanted the event in CA but the admin refused.
The university was closed to that idea this season.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
No guarantees that a bad team becomes a good one
Just because they're a year older.

It see GTown in the same boat as us, they have more pressure
Because of the top rated talent they've signed.

But at SJU, we know only too well that press clippings
Are sometimes only that.

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 08:38:49 PM »

Dave staff wanted the event in CA but the admin refused.
The university was closed to that idea this season.

With renovations there was no way of guaranteeing that it would have been ready in time. So instead of having plan A and plan B they went right for plan B. I don't have all the exact details just very brief conversations I had with a few people on the night of the event.

This is the 2nd year we've done this in a long time so I'm hoping they've gotten all the kinks out and next year will be awesome.

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 08:40:42 PM »
No guarantees that a bad team becomes a good one
Just because they're a year older.

It see GTown in the same boat as us, they have more pressure
Because of the top rated talent they've signed.

But at SJU, we know only too well that press clippings
Are sometimes only that.

Even if no one improved from last season, we'd still move up in the standings as other teams have taken a step back. I'm pretty confident this team will make some noise this year within the Big East. Not saying we're going to magically turn into a powerhouse but I like our chances every night.

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 11:57:11 PM »

The Hoyas looked disinterested last year.  It was bizarre watching them...almost like they quit.  They definitely have talent..definitely expect more out of them this year.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »

I think I would throw Cuse into the mix with UConn. I agree with your top 2 though they are clearly ahead of the pack and Louisville and Pitt are both overrated. I'm on the Seton Hall bandwagon this year as I think they are gonna make some noise.

Not so sure about Cuse.  Losing the top three players can take a toll.  Interested to see if Rautins can create his own shot this year, now he doesn't have a Cheddar Bob or Flynn feeding him open looks.  Onuaku is great until the last five minutes, and then he becomes a liability on the FT line.  I guess their season depends on Wes Johnson and if he can make an immediate impact.

re: Georgetown, I hear you all.  Last season was an incredible disappointment but as I look back on it, I am an idiot for expecting so much.  I came into the season thinking we'd be alright, I mean we lost Ewing, Wallace and Hibbert from the previous year.  But the wins against Memphis and UConn gave us all hope.  You see hope is a dangerous thing, drive a man insane.  I agree that experience does not necessarily mean success but system Thompson runs is based upon reading defenses, which only comes as you play in more games.  That '07 team that took Gtown to the Final Four had the same thing happen to them in '05 - when Green, Wallace and Hibbert were freshman.  They started out hot and then faded badly at the end.  Don't know if the team stopped caring, they had a big win at Nova and overcame a 10 point deficit in 3 minutes to take Cuse to overtime at the Dome.  I think they were just wildly inconsistent and stopped believing in the system.  Anyway, I'm back to hoping again this year...

Hope you guys do well this season.  It is funny that as I have come to learn more about the nuances (ie money) of college basketball I actually root for St. John's because (1) having a strong NY team is critical for the Big East and (2) the better non-BCS football schools do, the longer it will take the BCS schools to push us off into our own conference.

Six years ago Gtown and St. John's were in the same boat.  Programs heading straight for irrelevancy, brand new coaches, horrible facilities, etc.  We were able to turn it around, you guys will be able to soon enough.  Just gotta hire Lou Carnesecca III...

Poison

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »
cuse just played an exhibition.

In the game, apparently Jardine and freshman from Queens James Southeland (sp) excelled. From what I saw last year, if Rick Jackson can make a free throw, like 65-70%, he can do 18 and 10. 

Jardine and Triche split time at the point. Triche started.

Here's the stat of the night: zero turnovers for Triche and Jardine. They just have so many options. I'm not looking forward to playing them.

They lost a lot, yet somehow they're an experienced team.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:53:14 AM by Poison »