Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY

• 784 replies
Re: Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #480 on: February 12, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Does anyone have Rivals they have an article on why Lance didn't make the Jordan team but it is for members only
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #481 on: February 12, 2009, 11:45:32 PM »
Does anyone have Rivals they have an article on why Lance didn't make the Jordan team but it is for members only

Doesn't give distinct reason but sites the under armor conspiracy theory and mentions that this might be the reason why he visited and now interested in Maryland.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #482 on: February 13, 2009, 08:24:49 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/02/12/lance-to-visit-kansas/#more-11700

visiting kansas.

imo, he is just visiting kansas because the university pays for official visits. if i was a betting man, he lands at STJ. why announce @ MSG that your attending Kansas?

« Reply #483 on: February 13, 2009, 08:30:57 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/02/12/lance-to-visit-kansas/#more-11700

visiting kansas.

imo, he is just visiting kansas because the university pays for official visits. if i was a betting man, he lands at STJ. why announce @ MSG that your attending Kansas?

I really really hope you are right. We need Lance bad.

« Reply #484 on: February 13, 2009, 10:15:04 AM »
the way Lincoln has been playing, they are no lock to make it to MSG this year..

Lincoln is playing a national against the top programs in the country. Unfortunately, they only have one great player that can compete at that level.  Many of those opponents have multiple impact D1 players. The PSAL is mediocre.  Most of the best NYC players are in the CHSAA.  Lincoln will likely sleepwalk their way to the Garden unless Lance is injured or has a really bad game.  That's unlikely to happen.

LJSA

« Reply #485 on: February 14, 2009, 01:14:30 AM »
Looks like Lance and Strickland are in the game:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/02/13/lance-talks-kansas-jordan-game-stephenson-strickland-chosen-mcdonalds-all-americans/#more-11807

STRICKLAND, STEPHENSON GOING TO MICKEY D’S
As for the Jordan Brand Classic and McDonald’s All-American Games, both Stephenson and Strickland were left off the former, but made the latter.

“I think McDonald’s is more important than anything,” Stephenson said. “If I didn’t make the McDonald’s I’d be more mad, but the McDonald’s I’m happy to be in it.”

Strickland said he was “surprised” that he wasn’t chosen for the Jordan Brand game, but “I just moved on from it.”

“I just look at it as other players getting an opportunity to showcase their talent,” Strickland said.  “But God Bless anyone making it.

“But I’ll have an opportunity to play in the McDonald’s All-American Game.”

As reported here earlier, the Senior Showcase in Orlando on April 18 has also reached out to both players, along with Villanova-bound guard Maalik Wayns, to play in their event.

“We’d love to have Lance, Dexter and Maalik,” said Sean Russell, publisher of Faaz Magazine, the title sponsor of the showcase.

« Reply #486 on: February 16, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/02/15/lance-sets-new-york-scoring-record/#more-11933

Stephenson recently took an official visit to Maryland and his father, Lance Stephenson Sr., told The Washington Post that he could envision his son leaving New York for college.

“Coming from New York, the fans just want to see a show every night; there’s no real support,” Lance Sr. said. “He wants to go to a place where the fans are behind him.”

Several recruiting experts say don’t think Stephenson would be a good fit with Maryland coach Gary Williams, a task-master who won the 2002 national championship but is facing serious heat for his recruiting failures in recent years.

“Lance is not in a position to pick his school,” Jerry Meyer, the national recruiting analyst for Rivals, told The Washington Post. “There are schools that didn’t want to mess with him. That’s the irony of Gary Williams recruiting him. It sounds like a match made in hell to me.

“Gary Williams, as we all know, is being maligned for his lack of recruiting. Maybe he sees this as a chance to get the monkey off his back. He has a chance to land a consensus top 10 prospect. It’s like he’s going for broke.”

« Reply #487 on: February 16, 2009, 06:18:21 PM »
Top-10 prospect Lance Stephenson put his name in the New York State record book, passing Sebastian Telfair as the state's all-time scoring leader on Sunday. On the recruiting front the New York Lincoln star has a couple new schools in his top five list as he heads toward an official visit to Kansas.

Lance Stephenson will be in Lawrence, Kan., this weekend.
UCLA and Wake Forest now join Kansas, St. John's and Maryland on Stephenson's school list. According to Stephenson, he will visit both UCLA and Wake Forest after the season.

This weekend Kansas will try to make a favorable impression on Stephenson like Maryland did when Stephenson visited College Park, Md.

"I had fun down in Maryland," Stephenson said. "I had a chance to meet the coach and the players. They play up and down and that's the way I like it. Coach [Gary] Williams said he wanted to use me as a go-to player."

Stephenson has also spent time on the St. John's campus in an unofficial capacity.

Sunday was a big day for the physical wing scorer. Along with breaking Telfair's state scoring record, Stephenson's Lincoln squad beat Jefferson High School 81-61 for the PSAL Brooklyn Championship. Stephenson made it clear that his focus was on getting a championship and not the record.

"I wasn't thinking about the record," said Stephenson, who now has 2,808 points in his career. "I was focused on just playing my game and getting a city championship. Now we start the real playoffs. We're playing well and have a chance to win the state."

The more I read about him changing school's on his list, the less I think he will commit to St. John's.  I don't think the kid knows what he wants.  He is probably changing his mind on a daily basis!!!

Marillac

« Reply #488 on: February 16, 2009, 06:25:59 PM »
We've been down this road a million times in the Norm era.  For two years everyone thought we would land Syl...some even guaranteed it.  We were close with Casaan Breden, Fields, and Leo Criswell and so many other locals that kept STJ in their top five with four other teams changing almost weekly.

We didn't get any of them.

« Reply #489 on: February 16, 2009, 06:31:46 PM »
I don't think the admin should use the "if we get Lance, then Norm stays" excuse.  But if we lose out on Lance, that has to be the Final Straw!!!

My perfect end of March would be, preparing for fantasy baseball drafts, watching the NCAA tourney with buddies, and reading about who the Johnnies are interviewing for Norm's replacement!!!!

« Reply #490 on: February 17, 2009, 05:09:07 PM »
Lance Stephenson told Jerry Meyer of Rivals that he would like to visit UCLA and Wake Forest before making a final decision, but no visit dates have been set

« Reply #491 on: February 22, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »
http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090222&content_id=1492352&oid=2&vkey=21

Lance Stephenson, the No. 1 prospect in the Class of 2009 out of Brooklyn Lincoln High School, took an official visit to Kansas this weekend. He has already visited Maryland and is also considering St. John's, USC and UCLA. St. John's coaches are attempting to set up an official visit in the near future but none has been set.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #492 on: February 24, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »
How come Lance isnt on the local roster for the Jordan Brand game? Would that be a step down I guess?

« Reply #493 on: February 24, 2009, 10:50:47 PM »
Lance was in the first row on the baseline tonight.  He caught a t-shirt but didn't seem to be having too much fun.  A few students went up to him and talked to him until they were told to get lost by security.

« Reply #494 on: February 25, 2009, 07:35:44 AM »
Lance said he likes  :-* Wakeforest because they have a good group of big men & that is the same reason why he likes the Jayhawks because of the twins that is not a good sign for us. Our  C & PF position are one of our weak points  :'(.That scares me to know he actually watches college basketball.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #495 on: February 25, 2009, 08:32:26 AM »
Lance said he likes  :-* Wakeforest because they have a good group of big men & that is the same reason why he likes the Jayhawks because of the twins that is not a good sign for us. Our  C & PF position are one of our weak points  :'(.That scares me to know he actually watches college basketball.

Evans and Burrell are not the weak point of our team shooting is and Lance would cure that quickly. Replace Kennedy with Mason and Boothe with Lance and we are bsting that zone

« Reply #496 on: February 25, 2009, 11:08:40 AM »
Does anyone else think that last nights game will be the sole reason that Lance doesnt come here?

« Reply #497 on: February 25, 2009, 11:47:17 AM »
Does anyone else think that last nights game will be the sole reason that Lance doesnt come here?

He has said before last nights game that he want to be a part of bring St John's back.

The fact that he likes playing at MSG is in our favor, but last night did not help.

« Reply #498 on: February 25, 2009, 12:20:52 PM »
hes not considering STJ because of norm.

« Reply #499 on: February 25, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »
i'd say he'd come if he had a coach who could take him to the next level.  I'm not convinced he believes norm's the guy.