Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY

• 784 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #760 on: June 30, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »
Because they cared about winning back then maybe?  It was stupid to fire him when they did, but that had noithing to do with Keita either, Baldi.  So what's your point?

In all seriousness, why do you think they got rid of Jarvis? How did it go down in your opinoin, meaning in senses of timing of events?

First of all, I think Harrington did not like the fact that Jarvis would call the program out and demand all this $ be spent to improve facilities, etc.  Jarvis was right, too.

I think in Feb 2003, they were ready to fire Jarvis at season's end for poor performance, lack of recruiting, etc.  Then St. John's made a crazy run, beat Duke, won the NIT, hopes were high, and they couldn't fire him.  They start off the next season HORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLY and Harrington goes well now public opinion is against him, I better do it now before they make a stupid run at season's end again, and he cans him.

Then because Jarvis had the planes chartered and st johns stopped that, the Pitt incident happened, etc. etc. etc.

Do you remember the incidents Marco?  Do you REALLY believe Keita talks if he doesn't get expelled for the Pitt incident? I think it's pretty obvious how it all went down.

How do YOU think it went down Mr. Mel Gibson from Conspiracy Theory?

Of course I remember the incidents, just the timetable of events is a bit blurry. Do  you think the Erick Barkley incidents were the start of Harrington and the administration decisison set in motion?

Were you even a St. John's fan back then?  Do you not remember anything?  Barkley's incidents went down in 1999-2000.  Then Barkley left.  After that, there was Omar Cook's first season (2001-02), Hatten's first season AND NCAA berth (2002-03), and the NIT title season (2003-04).  Now you tell me.  Do you think the Barkley incident which was TOTALLY separate from Jarvis had anything to do with Jarvis' firing 3+ years later?

He was fired because the team wasn't winning, they were getting bad recruits, etc.  And this is a guy who took us to THREE NCAA tourneys and an NIT title in 5 years!  He brought in 2 MCD AA's of his own AND Daryll Hill and Marcus Hatten.

Jarvis had NOTHING to do with the Pitt strip club scandal.
Jarvis - if he directly had something to do with Keita's payments, which there is no proof of, he was paying a poor dude from West Africa $250 a month.  If you're gettin the heebiejeebies because of that, perhaps you should get a reality check.

Jarvis hurt this program badly...but he hurt it by ruining the ties to the city AAU programs.

I think you need to pull up some articles of the Jarvis years and re-read them, bro.  I don't think you quite get it.

Why so angry? You should take some time off ;) 

What I meant was maybe the Barkley ordeal was the beginning-by the time of the firing maybe Harringtone had had enough of the shenanigans. But since you are a better fan than me, mabybe you know better

So if you're right, why does Harrington wait OVER 3 years to fire him?  Why doesn't he fire them after the Omar Cook season where they don't make NCAA and Omar is a 1 and done?

Your conspiracy theories lack proof and have too much BS.  I have no idea if I'm a better fan than you, but if you think the Erick barkley car incident had ANYTHING to do with Jarvis getting fired in 2004 you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

I'm not angry - I'm just sick of your BS where you throw around rumors and BS without anything to back it up.  It pollutes every board you post on.  Stick to the stuff you know.  You do realize Jarvis was never alleged to have anything to do with the Barkley car thing, right?
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #761 on: June 30, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »
As for Lance and Cincy, I hope we utterly dominate his sorry @$$ when we play them.  His recruitment has been a total circus.

« Reply #762 on: June 30, 2009, 01:48:27 PM »
Because they cared about winning back then maybe?  It was stupid to fire him when they did, but that had noithing to do with Keita either, Baldi.  So what's your point?

In all seriousness, why do you think they got rid of Jarvis? How did it go down in your opinoin, meaning in senses of timing of events?

First of all, I think Harrington did not like the fact that Jarvis would call the program out and demand all this $ be spent to improve facilities, etc.  Jarvis was right, too.

I think in Feb 2003, they were ready to fire Jarvis at season's end for poor performance, lack of recruiting, etc.  Then St. John's made a crazy run, beat Duke, won the NIT, hopes were high, and they couldn't fire him.  They start off the next season HORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLY and Harrington goes well now public opinion is against him, I better do it now before they make a stupid run at season's end again, and he cans him.

Then because Jarvis had the planes chartered and st johns stopped that, the Pitt incident happened, etc. etc. etc.

Do you remember the incidents Marco?  Do you REALLY believe Keita talks if he doesn't get expelled for the Pitt incident? I think it's pretty obvious how it all went down.

Of course I remember the incidents, just the timetable of events is a bit blurry. Do  you think the Erick Barkley incidents were the start of Harrington and the administration decisison set in motion?

Were you even a St. John's fan back then?  Do you not remember anything?  Barkley's incidents went down in 1999-2000.  Then Barkley left.  After that, there was Omar Cook's first season (2001-02), Hatten's first season AND NCAA berth (2002-03), and the NIT title season (2003-04).  Now you tell me.  Do you think the Barkley incident which was TOTALLY separate from Jarvis had anything to do with Jarvis' firing 3+ years later?

He was fired because the team wasn't winning, they were getting bad recruits, etc.  And this is a guy who took us to THREE NCAA tourneys and an NIT title in 5 years!  He brought in 2 MCD AA's of his own AND Daryll Hill and Marcus Hatten.

Jarvis - if he directly had something to do with Keita's payments, which there is no proof of, he was paying a poor dude from West Africa $250 a month.  If you're gettin the heebiejeebies because of that, perhaps you should get a reality check.

Jarvis hurt this program badly...but he hurt it by ruining the ties to the city AAU programs.

I think you need to pull up some articles of the Jarvis years and re-read them, bro.  I don't think you quite get it.

What I meant was maybe the Barkley ordeal was the beginning-by the time of the firing maybe Harringtone had had enough of the shenanigans. But since you are a better fan than me, mabybe you know better

So if you're right, why does Harrington wait OVER 3 years to fire him?  Why doesn't he fire them after the Omar Cook season where they don't make NCAA and Omar is a 1 and done?

Your conspiracy theories lack proof and have too much BS.  I have no idea if I'm a better fan than you, but if you think the Erick barkley car incident had ANYTHING to do with Jarvis getting fired in 2004 you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

I'm not angry - I'm just sick of your BS where you throw around rumors and BS without anything to back it up.  It pollutes every board you post on.  Stick to the stuff you know.  You do realize Jarvis was never alleged to have anything to do with the Barkley car thing, right?

You need to settle down. Somebody run over your poodle?

I never said I was right, I said MAYBE the Barkley situation was the start of it.  Wasnt Jarvis the coach when Barkley was driving around campus is his new ride? If he had no idea what was going on, he should have never been hired.

Do you think I make up these rumors out of thin air? If so, you give me too much credit.

« Reply #763 on: June 30, 2009, 01:49:14 PM »
As for Lance and Cincy, I hope we utterly dominate his sorry @$$ when we play them.  His recruitment has been a total circus.

I agree! Is this kid even eligible?

Tha Kid

« Reply #764 on: June 30, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »

I never said I was right, I said MAYBE the Barkley situation was the start of it.  Wasnt Jarvis the coach when Barkley was driving around campus is his new ride? If he had no idea what was going on, he should have never been hired.

Do you think I make up these rumors out of thin air? If so, you give me too much credit.

Baldi kids drive around with nice cars around campuses THROUGHOUT the country.  It is NOT the coach's job to inquire how he got it and report the kid to the NCAA, is it?  Out of sight out of mind I'm sure is the policy.  The Duke guys were driving in Escalades everywhere...do I think Duhon and his mom had enough money to afford one? Probably not.  Did Coach K pay for them? No.  So why should Coach K inquire as to how he got it?

« Reply #765 on: June 30, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »

Baldi kids drive around with nice cars around campuses THROUGHOUT the country.  It is NOT the coach's job to inquire how he got it and report the kid to the NCAA, is it?  Out of sight out of mind I'm sure is the policy.  The Duke guys were driving in Escalades everywhere...do I think Duhon and his mom had enough money to afford one? Probably not.  Did Coach K pay for them? No.  So why should Coach K inquire as to how he got it?

They should inquire about it because the STUDENT ATHLETE could get in trouble or suspended,like Barkley did

Tha Kid

« Reply #766 on: June 30, 2009, 02:08:18 PM »

They should inquire about it because the STUDENT ATHLETE could get in trouble or suspended,like Barkley did

Should it anger Duke's AD and get him on a path where he fires Coach K for not monitoring what his players are driving closely enough?

« Reply #767 on: June 30, 2009, 02:14:54 PM »

Should it anger Duke's AD and get him on a path where he fires Coach K for not monitoring what his players are driving closely enough?

When the University gets negative attention and negative press because of it, than maybe paying attention to what the studen athlete is driving should be looked after. Coach K makes a alot of money and makes alot of money  for the University, maybe a coach should put one of his underlings to look after the players and their extracurricular activities(the obvious stuff anyways,like vehicles)

Tha Kid

« Reply #768 on: June 30, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »

When the University gets negative attention and negative press because of it, than maybe paying attention to what the studen athlete is driving should be looked after. Coach K makes a alot of money and makes alot of money  for the University, maybe a coach should put one of his underlings to look after the players and their extracurricular activities(the obvious stuff anyways,like vehicles)

Why is it their business?  What if it was obtained legally through hard work, or gift from a family member? Why should it be looked into without other evidence?

« Reply #769 on: June 30, 2009, 02:35:33 PM »

Why is it their business?  What if it was obtained legally through hard work, or gift from a family member? Why should it be looked into without other evidence?

Thats what I meant, somebody from the staff should make sure its not an NCAA violation that would come back and haunt them. In the case of Barkley, he said the car was a loaner-maybe it was,maybe it wasnt. Some higher ups didnt believe that and not that it matters, neither did I

Tha Kid

« Reply #770 on: June 30, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »

Thats what I meant, somebody from the staff should make sure its not an NCAA violation that would come back and haunt them. In the case of Barkley, he said the car was a loaner-maybe it was,maybe it wasnt. Some higher ups didnt believe that and not that it matters, neither did I

Why look into it at all unless there is more evidence than "it's surprising this kid has this nice a car"

« Reply #771 on: June 30, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »

Why look into it at all unless there is more evidence than "it's surprising this kid has this nice a car"

Because if there is a doubt, maybe this will throw up a red flag and the NCAA will come knocking on your door. And as you said, if this is happening all over the country-you dont want to draw the Investigators attention. See Erick

Tha Kid

« Reply #772 on: June 30, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »
What drew the investigators attention was Fran Fraschilla being pissed off he was fired, IMO.

« Reply #773 on: June 30, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »
What drew the investigators attention was Fran Fraschilla being pissed off he was fired, IMO.
Or the more likely,
rival coaches angry over Ernie Lorch, the then head of the most powerful AAU program in NY, helping out St. John's

Tha Kid

« Reply #774 on: June 30, 2009, 03:55:14 PM »
Or the more likely,
rival coaches angry over Ernie Lorch, the then head of the most powerful AAU program in NY, helping out St. John's

Agreed.

« Reply #775 on: June 30, 2009, 11:04:06 PM »
UC has endless potential & good depth.Mick Cronin really uses his ships well, they are spread out over five positions.

Does Mike Williams still have eligibility left ? If so I can see UC being like WakeForest last year dominating the regular season & cooling off in the NCAA
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:17:37 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

kob24

« Reply #776 on: July 01, 2009, 12:59:49 AM »
lance is gonna crush them. norm needed lance in the worse way. cincy is in the ncaa tournament

« Reply #777 on: July 01, 2009, 02:06:33 AM »
lance is gonna crush them. norm needed lance in the worse way. cincy is in the ncaa tournament

KOB, not if you can wake up JB!
We all know he has the talent, there's no question about his ability.
We just need to find a way to get him to show it again!!!

kob24

« Reply #778 on: July 01, 2009, 02:16:39 AM »
listen i love justin thats family. but im being so serious lance is a program changer. anyone who thinks other wise needs their heads examine. i dont care about his attitude or his legal issues. im talking skills. he is a talent. this kid would throw it on his mom while she is breast feeding his younger brother. and that is what they need. if lance gets cleared and that is a big if oh my god. im gonna be so pissed.

« Reply #779 on: July 01, 2009, 02:18:49 AM »
Not sure what part confuses you ;)   Haven't you ever heard a girl you dumped say those things?  Shocking?  So sudden?  I remember Baldi saying the same things to RSHF at the last gathering.

Yes, Baldi turned to me and said “shocking” and  “so sudden” when WASJU informed the entire St. John’s crowd that Marillac did in fact like girls, and that he was not a homo, despite what he had always said.

It was very difficult for most of us to accept knowing him as we do.