Challenge to fans

• 24 replies
Challenge to fans
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:35:17 AM »
Since we are on a bit of a high right now, come to the games.  Pack CA and the Garden.  Give kids a reason to want to come play for St. John's.  Let's make this early season success work for us.  While we will still be a middle of the pack team in the BE, we will be more competitive.  Fan support will make this season that much more successful.

Re: Challenge to fans
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:43:51 AM »
Yea...Lets rock CA this week. Dont let Stony Brook feel welcome/comfortable

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:11:56 AM »
To be fair, the student sections have been filled at CA for the first two games. They have been somewhat quiet however save for a few minutes at the end of the Brown game. We need to work on that.

It would be great if the rest of the CA crowd were half as enthusiastic about the game as they are about trying to get a free t-shirt.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 03:50:04 AM »
To be fair, the student sections have been filled at CA for the first two games. They have been somewhat quiet however save for a few minutes at the end of the Brown game. We need to work on that.

It would be great if the rest of the CA crowd were half as enthusiastic about the game as they are about trying to get a free t-shirt.

Thats been my gripe for years. Carnesecca is like a catholic church mass until free tshirts then all hell breaks loose. Hence the reason I started Johnny Jungle We need to create more home court atmosphere.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:17:30 AM »
From the NY Post Article

The team's next game is Dec. 2 against Stony Brook in Carnesecca Arena, and the players believe they've earned a packed house.

"If this is your first time coming to a St. John's game, come and check us out," said forward Justin Burrell. "Then we'll prove it to you and we'll make you a fan.

"And if you've been to games before, we're glad you stayed with us," Burrell said. "We're going to make it great for you to wear a St. John's sweater in the city."
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »
It's a challenge to the alumni who should be ashamed of themselves.

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »
It's a challenge to the alumni who should be ashamed of themselves.

Who can blame them?  The team hasn't been any good since Hatten and then there was the horrible scandal.  Why would alumni have paid for EXPENSIVE games in the Roberts era before now?  Fr. Harrington chose to bring in Norm and go the slow route...well 5+ years without even an NIT appearance, how can you blame the alumni for not coming?

The students are the ones I can't believe.  100-200 students out of a school of 20,000 at a D-1 bball game? It's pathetic.  CA could have been 1/4 full with students if st johns did enough to get the apathetic student body interested (or gave them tix for free).
"I drink and I know things"

boo3

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »
 Good job Kid!  Hit nail on head.  Its very simple and been discussed ad nauseum:  Win and they will come. 2009-2010 could be the start of something. Lets hope. New yorkers aren't going to throw good money after bad.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »
Good job Kid!  Hit nail on head.  Its very simple and been discussed ad nauseum:  Win and they will come. 2009-2010 could be the start of something. Lets hope. New yorkers aren't going to throw good money after bad.

Why not? They go to see the Jets,Knicks and Mets?

boo3

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 12:50:45 PM »

Why not? They go to see the Jets,Knicks and Mets?

Mets had a new stadium this season. however when the season went to shit, people were not showing up to the games.  For the 1st time in a very long time Knicks tickets are readily available and you can even get season tix if you want.   this was never the case in years past.  Its all relative.  As far as the Jets go,  football is a completely different animal and can't compare it to St. Johns situation.  But , even the Jets are having a hard time filling out their season ticket packages for next season. 

boo3

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 12:54:47 PM »
  I'll also add that those Pro teams all have a tremendous amount of corporate tickets.  Business and corporations own blocks of tickets.  They end up giving these away to people, who end up going to the games,  many times for free. So you will always have a certain amount of people in the seats.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »
I wasn't planning on coming to the Stony Brook game, but after reading Burrell's quotes and rallying cry, I think it's important to be there.  Let's get a nice turnout and lets turn the energy UP!
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »
I got season tix for the first time 3 years ago because I wanted to do my small part to help the team come back.  I didn't want to wait until they are good before I climbed aboard.  I know it costs money to go to the games but right now might be a good time for those who haven't been going to attend a few games. 

And for the people behind me:  When I stand up to cheer a great play, stand up too.  Don't just scowl and wait for me to sit back down.  The seats are uncomfortable anyway.  Standing might prove to be a relief.

gonzalo

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »
I wasn't planning on coming to the Stony Brook game, but after reading Burrell's quotes and rallying cry, I think it's important to be there.  Let's get a nice turnout and lets turn the energy UP!

Very good.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 03:10:24 PM »
Pro teams and college teams are a world apart.
You can't compare a kid going to school to happens to play ball to a pro
making millions.

The difference is, if you chose SJU, it's your school, and if they lose,
those are the breaks. What we have at sju are what I like to call front-runners, or pretenders.

If Rutgers can sell tickets, why can't SJU?

As for the Jets, they've had 2 good years in the last 40.
They are without a doubt the worst NY franchise in the history of new York city. But they're ny, so I support them. Nevermind if they've earned it.

Clearly, they have not.

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »
i bought season ticket again this year, after not buying them the last 2 years. ill be at the sb game and i hope other students follow suite. The student sections at CA have been filled thus far at games. However, about half of the students are sitting down, not paying attention, as if its part of class requirement. We need to get these fans energized.

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 03:57:02 PM »
if the alumni cant fill the seats, they need to let students attend for free. looking at the seating charts, the student seatings are limited to section 9,12,1, and 5. we need to let students in free to fill the higher sections.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/stjo-basketball-seating-chart.pdf

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »
It was great to see a couple people with st johns gear on today. Hopefully we keep winning and creating some buzz in NY and start filling up CA and the Garden

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 09:43:11 PM »
I'll be there. Hope to see you there too.

matt6

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 03:47:33 AM »
 I like the ethusiasm out of burrell I hope its packd..I'm trying my hardest to get to the city wed but its a little hard for me..I live in the hartford area with no car :-\ but I hope I can get out there..plus its free bobble head night!! Haha

I already got my tix for the double header next week I hope that a lot of johnny fans show up!