Dwight Hardy vs Avery Patterson

• 28 replies
Dwight Hardy vs Avery Patterson
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:20:49 PM »
Before the season I wasn't sure what to expect from Hardy other then hearing he can shoot the lights out.  Insantly I was concerned he'd be another Avery Patterson type.  I wasn't sure how he would react to coming off the bench and if he'd relish the role as 6th man scorer or if he would sulk and be pist he wasn't starting (like Avery in Providence).  Unfortunately I haven't been able to see any of the games yet so can some of you who have tell me what you think of Dwight compared to Avery.  Can he shoot it from deep a variety of ways or just a stand still spot up shooter?  Can he drive at all?  Defense?  Rebounding (which Avery was actually good at)?  Thanks in advance!!

Poison

Re: Dwight Hardy vs Avery Patterson
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 12:53:21 PM »
I saw a scorers touch from Hardy against both LIU and Brown,
but it's really too soon to know how he'll do for the long haul.

He's off to a very good start. He doesn't force shots,
or lollygag on defense.

Patterson was imop, a disease. For every 3 he hit, he'd give 2 threes
with his non-existant d.

Luckily, Hardy doesn't have to play like he's the only guy who can score.
We're playing a team game with different Johnnies stepping up.

We may not be dangerous yet, but at least there isn't one clear way to guard us.

Hardy showed me a couple of nice up and unders. He won't be another Patterson. I think there is too much NY in him to be so soft.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:36:22 PM »
Hardy boys will be a key ingredient in the mix this year and I'm very happy to have him.  Want's the ball, works hard to get it, good form on the jumper and is always looking to get his shot off.  Not averse to driving either.

Big factor in both Philly wins.

However, he has a long way to go before we can mention him in the same sentence with Avery "3 point record holder" Patterson. 

One excited poster even suggested that barring injury Dwight would surpass the unbreakable Patterson record in this very season.

How is he doing with that?

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 03:57:36 PM »
I don't want Hardy to be anything like Patterson. Hardy is doing just fine being Hardy.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »

One excited poster even suggested that barring injury Dwight would surpass the unbreakable Patterson record in this very season.

I still stand by my prediction. We have 25 regular season games to play, so he has to step up his production slightly as he is on track for 60.

What was AP’s record, 72 or something?

Poison

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 05:42:12 PM »
It's not how many threes you hit.
It's how many meaningful threes.

Patterson against Syracuse. That's it.
Nothing else against a good team. His
numbers against winning teams is horrid.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »
It's not how many threes you hit.
It's how many meaningful threes.

Patterson against Syracuse. That's it.
Nothing else against a good team. His
numbers against winning teams is horrid.

Do you pick apart and seek to diminish the accomplishments of other Johnny single season record holders or is Avery "3 point record holder" Patterson the only lucky one.

Has Walter Berry's 76 blocks; Bob Zawoluk's 208 FT's; and Mel Davis' 436 rebounds records undergone the same level of scrutiny from you.

Hitting a lot of 3's in a season is a good thing  He doesn't own the single season turnover record.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 10:10:05 PM »
Carmine why stop at Berry? Try Mullin? He never hit one three.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »
Patterson was a shooter, Hardy is a scorer.  Patterson could have been a weapon if he was used right.  He had a great shot when he set his feet but shot like 10-15% when he was moving or shooting off the dribble.  Coach should have taken that privilege away.

I haven't seen a game yet, but it seems like Hardy (as well as Bownlee) score a lot in transition.  I'm hoping that is true. 

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »
FWIW, I also believe Hardy will have the record by season's end.  He'll have some games in which he hits 5-6 treys for sure. 

Poison

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 09:58:57 AM »
Patterson only has that record because he was a black hole

Foad

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »

DH is 10 for 23 from 3 after 5 games (43 percent). His PPS is 1.42.

AP shot 72 for 220 from three (32 percent) in 2006-7. He had 23 3's after 5 games in 49 attempts (47 percent). Thereafter he shot 49 for 171 (28 percent) meaning he made slightly less than 2 threes per game over the remaining 26 games. His PPS was 1.05. Which is to say that after wasting powerhouses Thomas Aquinas and Navy, he basically sucked.

Compare AP to Willie Shaw, who made 71 threes in 189 attempts (one less three made in 30 fewer attempts) in 2001.

Hardy's numbers extrapolate to ~ 60 threes over the course of the season, playing ~ 10 minutes less per game than Patterson and taking about half as many shots.

So he's doing pretty well with it.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 11:10:05 AM »
Foad, I thought you'd have something to say about that - I know you'd commented on Avery's mediocrity against opponents who weren't brought in to take their beatings on one of the other boards a while back.

To add: they're different players.  Avery took 71% of his shots from beyond the arc.  Hardy's taken 54% of his shots from beyond the 3-pt line. Hardy, even against the early competition, has shown that he's a little more versatile - he's got more assists per game in fewer minutes (or a higher assist rate), gets to the line at a higher rate... and has more turnovers, because he's more than a catch-and-shoot guy, and driving with the ball leaves any player more vulnerable to the turnover.

It's early yet.  For all we know, he'll turn into Avery.  But Dwight seems willing to play a number of different roles - bring the ball up in a pinch, and look to score in different ways than the spot-up three.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 11:50:04 AM »
And remember, there's no D in Avery Patterson...

while there's plenty in
Dwight Hardy!

Poison

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 11:55:39 AM »
Hardy is closer to Bootsy than any other shooting guard that I can remember here.

Bootsy was successful here because he knew how to
move without the ball. Sure, he could stroke it, but he always under the basket looking for a rebound.

I see some of that in Hardy. He can score in a variety of ways.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 12:09:32 PM »
Hardy is closer to Bootsy than any other shooting guard that I can remember here.

Bootsy was successful here because he knew how to
move without the ball. Sure, he could stroke it, but he always under the basket looking for a rebound.

I see some of that in Hardy. He can score in a variety of ways.

Bootsy was a very good rebounder.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 12:11:23 PM »
And remember, there's no D in Avery Patterson...

while there's plenty in
Dwight Hardy!

There isn't much D in Dwight Hardy either besides his name. He is an average defender but there is no disputing his lack of effort on defense. He tries but I wouldn't feel confident with him for extended minutes.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
I think Bootsy had the same problem.
A lot jucos just score, and don't d up as much.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 02:28:01 PM »
Carmine why stop at Berry? Try Mullin? He never hit one three.

Now your finally making sense.  I too believe that Chris would own the 3 point record if they had it when he played.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 02:30:50 PM »
FWIW, I also believe Hardy will have the record by season's end.  He'll have some games in which he hits 5-6 treys for sure.

That is because you, Michael and others of the same ilk have no respect for Avery "3 point record holder" Patterson or his great achievement in his only season with us and mistakenly think then any Tom, Dick or Harry could throw in 72 threes if given the opportunity.

How wrong you are.