Calm Before the Storm: Stony Brook [Johnny Jungle]

• 15 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Calm Before the Storm: Stony Brook [Johnny Jungle]
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:39:05 PM »
St. John's battles the defensively sharp Stony Brook Seawolves on Wednesday night. The Storm can't get giddy about 5 wins or overlook a tough local opponent...

Read More: Calm Before the Storm: Thunder on the Island
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:39:59 PM by peter »

Re: Calm Before the Storm: Stony Brook
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 03:42:12 PM »
Great job Pete.

We should own the paint,SHOULD! Burrell needs to get going, hopefully this game does wonders for his confidence

kjd01067

Re: Calm Before the Storm: Stony Brook [Johnny Jungle]
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 05:13:48 PM »
Nice work Peter.  I am pumped to finally be able to watch a game rather than have to listen and watch stats.  Like Marco said hopefully our height and length will put us over the top for a win.  I think we definitely create match-up problems for them so lets hope Norm exploits them.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:26:41 PM by kjd01067 »

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:24:19 PM »
Great piece. Psyched for tomorrow!

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:26:56 PM »
I'm very excited to see how we fare against the Seawolves. Can we jump out to an early lead and sustain it? Can we go through the game without any scoring droughts?

Also I posted this in the comments as well which you can also do (you can easily connect through facebook) is what recruits will be in attendance for this game?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:40:48 PM »
I think the Seawolves are the one team where I really don't know what's going on there.  the other teams I know by sight or have seen their style.  But Stony Brook has a very interesting profile - they might be very good defensively. But then again, they don't have height and have played some of the poorer teams in D-1.  But they have really spanked those teams, defensively.

At the very least, I want to see our team become the kind of squad that dictates the speed of the game.  That means that there are certain fundamental things the Storm is imposing on another squad, and that bodes well for the future.  They can't keep playing other teams' games.  In the Johnnies' case, I think this speaks to a lack of dominance on the boards, so far.  If you can rebound and run, if you can keep your own possessions alive, you can dictate the pace. 

(I haven't looked to see if the stats bear that out. That's just my intuition.)

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 06:14:50 PM »
I think the Seawolves are the one team where I really don't know what's going on there.  the other teams I know by sight or have seen their style.  But Stony Brook has a very interesting profile - they might be very good defensively. But then again, they don't have height and have played some of the poorer teams in D-1.  But they have really spanked those teams, defensively.

At the very least, I want to see our team become the kind of squad that dictates the speed of the game.  That means that there are certain fundamental things the Storm is imposing on another squad, and that bodes well for the future.  They can't keep playing other teams' games.  In the Johnnies' case, I think this speaks to a lack of dominance on the boards, so far.  If you can rebound and run, if you can keep your own possessions alive, you can dictate the pace. 

Other than the Temple game, I think that we have controlled the tempo in all of our games.  There are times when we have had to slow it down, but we've played Norm's offensive scheme for the better part of all of the games played so far.

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 07:37:18 PM »
I think we have to get Stith in the game early and get him some confidence. Against Brown and Siena he had early turnovers, but played very well in 2nd half. He has to be ready for Saturday.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 11:25:08 PM »

Other than the Temple game, I think that we have controlled the tempo in all of our games.  There are times when we have had to slow it down, but we've played Norm's offensive scheme for the better part of all of the games played so far.
Bonaventure made the team play a little slower than they had in other games.  And it reminded me how last year, the team played to counter the opponents' tendencies (but failed a lot) - not playing to establish their style. 

Again, that's a feeling, I haven't delved into the numbers yet.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 11:39:32 PM »
Yea, but most importantly, let's get Burrell's confidence up before Duke.
He could go off against them. That's what I'm hoping for.

matt6

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 03:00:24 AM »
i agree the teams confidence is soaring right now so it would be great to see us just flat out dominate this game so that we go into duke with even more momentom..id like to see us have a nice 20+ win but well see what happens

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »
Rob Thomas is going to try and suit up tonight.

This could be in preparation for the weekend in case we need an extra body down low. Will be interesting to see where he fits into the rotation.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »
Rob Thomas is going to try and suit up tonight.

This could be in preparation for the weekend in case we need an extra body down low. Will be interesting to see where he fits into the rotation.

I wish Mase was able to suit up also, work out some kinks on Stony Brook rather than in Big East play

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 01:39:17 PM »
I anticipate that the target date for Mase will be the Holiday Festival

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »
Interesting on Rob Thomas... I have to say that his points were often from garbage last year, so adding him in won't disrupt the flow.  Mase, however, will require an adjustment.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 03:51:44 PM »
Things I think they should work on tonight:

Defending the three (in anticipation of Duke)
Shooting the three (because with all these guards, the team's still shooting like a drunk)