St. John's vs. Georgetown prediction thread

• 25 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
St. John's vs. Georgetown prediction thread
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:06:49 PM »
Starting this just to share the froth coming from the Hoya fans on their message boards.  Link to more if you find 'em.

http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=20887

http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=20878

http://hoyaballa.yuku.com/topic/212/t/St-Johns-Eve.html

And look for Calm Before the Storm this afternoon/ evening (or VERY early AM at latest).

I think we can take the Hoyas.

Tha Kid

Re: St. John's vs. Georgetown prediction thread
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:10:35 PM »
If Burrell plays:

St. John's 68, GTown 66.

If Burrell does not play:

GTown 70, St. John's 60
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »
If Burrell plays:

St. John's 68, GTown 66.

GTown 70, St. John's 60

So Burrell is worth 12 points?

If Burrell doesn't play Gtown 68 ST John's 60
If Burrell plays Gtown 68 ST John's 60
If Ron Artest plays ST John's 74 Gtown 68

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 03:28:14 PM »
Tough game away. 66-65 St Johns

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:16:36 PM »
72-59 Gtown

mkras99

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:20:45 PM »
Georgetown by 14.

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »
If Burrell plays:

St. John's 68, GTown 66.

GTown 70, St. John's 60

You think Burrell is worth 0 points?  12 is pretty reasonable, IMO.

sjd8886

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 07:09:39 PM »
what have you seen in the last 2 years to make you think 12 points against Georgetown is reasonable for JB coming off injury, a guy who isnt even that good to begin with...and yea sorry, jb isnt that good...brownlee is better, evans is way better, even coker at least brings defense and toughness to the game...if jb never came back to this team, i wouldnt care in the least

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »
Gtown 69
STJ 65
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 07:41:12 PM »
what have you seen in the last 2 years to make you think 12 points against Georgetown is reasonable for JB coming off injury, a guy who isnt even that good to begin with...and yea sorry, jb isnt that good...brownlee is better, evans is way better, even coker at least brings defense and toughness to the game...if jb never came back to this team, i wouldnt care in the least

I'm guessing that the 12 pt diference is a combination of added defensive presence as well as points scored.  I hope he's right.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 09:29:11 PM »
Note that I'm not thinking the same way, but consider that it's not just the combination of offensive scoring and defensive minutes in isolation, though simplyred's on the right track.  It's having a few less "creative sean evans" moments, and at least one fewer blocked shot by Georgetown.  Plus the ability to possibly take Vaughn or Monroe away from the basket, opening up space.

I do hope one of the forwards dedicates himself to being a beast rebounder.  I think that's where this game will be won or lost.

sjd8886

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 12:13:09 AM »
yea thats why im for coker playing...hes not gonna give you anything more than easy buckets on offense, but he plays hard as hell and blocks shots, alters shots, and really, him just being in the lane, changes the opponents offense, even if just slightly...being as strong as he is, and our tallest guy by about 2 inches, he should be able to clean up his fair share of boards against the other big east forwards...plus it helps evans out not having to cover each teams beast big man every single game...let evans concentrate on scoring...when hes in control, hes one of our best offensive players

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 12:42:19 AM »
Carnesecca - 63
Thompson Sr. - 59

Tha Kid

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 09:06:18 AM »

As various posters correctly deduced, I think burrell will be responsible for 12 points between both o and d, and my guess was an increase of 8 on O and 4 on D. 

It is pathetic to me that burrell is the whipping boy for some reason. He hasn't played healthy in the middle of the season since his frosh year.  I think its unfair to judge his likely output on last season w a mask.  Have any of you played ball w a mask?   I have and it sucks. You lose peripheral vision and it makes you feel robotic. Give the kid a chance at least.  Anyone who think TO Machine sean evans is the answer after watching him against cornell is sadly mistaken.  Sean brings good energy in spurts but is not a solid play him 30 mins type player.  Burrell can be.  Burrell improves the flow of the offense, gives us a guy who needs to be respected from 18 feet, who boxes out (even if he doesn't subsequently explode for the rebound), and who plays good interior D.  He also has a higher bball iq than evans and coker...possibly combined.

Burrell is worth some amt of points to us whether its 12 or a diff amount.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 09:33:03 AM »
If Justin can give us 15+ mins then I think we win 68-63.  A win tomorrow puts us in the top 25. 

This is a very winnable game.  We need this. 

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 09:35:25 AM »
St. John's 70 G Town 66

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 09:35:43 AM »
Oh, and Justin Brownlee gives us the go-ahead basket from the baseline off a nice dish from DJ!

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 09:55:40 AM »
If Burrell plays:

St. John's 68, GTown 66.

GTown 70, St. John's 60

You think Burrell is worth 0 points?  12 is pretty reasonable, IMO.

Really at this point Burrell needs to show he can be a rotation player as he basically is starting at zero. He is averaging 4 and 4 and has not proven to be any kind of difference maker in the last 2 years! Does he have the talent, I think so, but will he be a difference in a win or a loss after missing two weeks? No way! Even if he plays his contribution and most likely PT will be limited. You are asking waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for a struggling player, coming off an injury to be a difference maker his first game back!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:00:43 AM by we are sju »

tims19

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 01:07:09 AM »
If Burrell plays:

St. John's 68, GTown 66.

GTown 70, St. John's 60