Roberts hasn't brought in enough talent

• 70 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Roberts hasn't brought in enough talent
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 02:43:09 PM »
Aww, you didn't have to answer the question.  Way to cave to pressure, Baldi!

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 02:45:55 PM »
Aww, you didn't have to answer the question.  Way to cave to pressure, Baldi!

Theres no pressure at all. Noone should be happy til a champioship is won. My stance hasnt changed, I still support Norm. He is our coach

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 02:45:55 PM »
I have to disagree with the headline...I believe there actually is enough talent on this team now.

How can you say the talent is there when we are massively lacking at both point guard and center.?

I disagree about the center part and almost to a degree the PG spot too. How do we lack at center? Look around the league and tell me Burrell, Evans, and Coker who has a better trio?

PG is our biggest glaring weakness but we should be able to mask that with a better offensive scheme. Notre Dame has done pretty well with Tory Jackson for 4 years and he isn't anything special. Or what about WVU with Joe Muzzula? Granted we need a better PG there is no question about it and the elite teams have one.

In general I think we have enough talent but the utilization of the talent we have has been very poor.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 03:05:45 PM »
I have to disagree with the headline...I believe there actually is enough talent on this team now.

How can you say the talent is there when we are massively lacking at both point guard and center.?

I disagree about the center part and almost to a degree the PG spot too. How do we lack at center? Look around the league and tell me Burrell, Evans, and Coker who has a better trio?

PG is our biggest glaring weakness but we should be able to mask that with a better offensive scheme. Notre Dame has done pretty well with Tory Jackson for 4 years and he isn't anything special. Or what about WVU with Joe Muzzula? Granted we need a better PG there is no question about it and the elite teams have one.

In general I think we have enough talent but the utilization of the talent we have has been very poor.

I think we have middle of the pack talent and sub CYO coaching. That is a bad mix. We do not have any low post scoring the worst point guard situation in D1 and not enough shot makers. We have more athletic wing players, but not necesarily skilled players! We have not cracked 60 points in two BE games and are averaging a PATHETIC 69.4 for the season.

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »
I do believe that we do have talent on the team, its just the coaching staff--CASEY, BRACCIA, Q and NORM have not shown ANY X and O talent.

With almost any other Big East coaching staff, our frontline would not be bringing the ball up, Evans, JB1.

Heck, I can teach these guys better box out positioning than this crew and my only experience was St Marys CYO and Pace Intramurals.

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »
I do believe that we do have talent on the team, its just the coaching staff--CASEY, BRACCIA, Q and NORM have not shown ANY X and O talent.

With almost any other Big East coaching staff, our frontline would not be bringing the ball up, Evans, JB1.

Heck, I can teach these guys better box out positioning than this crew and my only experience was St Marys CYO and Pace Intramurals.

What years? Pleasantville/Briarcliff campus? WASJU was a intramural legend there and at the New Rochelle bars where I would steal all the Iona chicks from Baldi and his friends!

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 05:39:04 PM »
After reading this link and watching games... I still don't understand why Norm doesn't press more than he does. Especially when we are down and not hitting our jump shots (like the Providence game).

We really don't have a "go to" guy (I think DJ is good player. But not a "go to" guy.) and I think we have the depth and players on this team to press for a good part of the game.

For example in the 2, 2, 1 press:

Boothe, Stith, Hardy, Horne, Kennedy, Omari, Mase and probably Brownlee/Evans all have enough foot speed to play the 2 and 2. Then we have Coker, Burrell, Brownlee, Evans and Thomas to play D on the 1.

Therefore, IMO... I think if we pressed more, get alot of turnovers and easy buckets.

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 05:54:17 PM »
What years? Pleasantville/Briarcliff campus? WASJU was a intramural legend there and at the New Rochelle bars where I would steal all the Iona chicks from Baldi and his friends!

I had an old g/f who went to Pace Pleasantville back in 78-79. I would have gladly given her to you!

It rained every Sunday night for two years straight while I drove her back to school from Long Island.

Tha Kid

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2010, 06:58:40 PM »

Thanks Baldi.

You prefer the new ro bars to the white plains bars, wasju?  I disagree!  Perhaps its different now.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 07:57:48 PM »

I had an old g/f who went to Pace Pleasantville back in 78-79. I would have gladly given her to you!

It rained every Sunday night for two years straight while I drove her back to school from Long Island.

That would been fun, but I was only 7 or 8  during those years :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:58:33 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2010, 08:02:06 PM »

Thanks Baldi.

You prefer the new ro bars to the white plains bars, wasju?  I disagree!  Perhaps its different now.

Back then there were a couple clubs that only asked for College ID to get in. Also there was like 4 or 5 schools in the area(New Rochelle). Other than to go to the Galleria and one class, I never went to White Plains. Was pretty scuzzy back then if memory serves. Of course that was in the early 90's though maybe it changed?

Poison

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »
What could be scuzzier than New Rochelle?

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2010, 08:47:54 PM »

Thanks Baldi.

No problem kid.

IN the early to mid 90's New Rochelle bars were crazy, than a couple of local kids killed themselves driving home from these places and they got shutdown.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:47:06 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
What could be scuzzier than New Rochelle?

At the time White Plains

Tha Kid

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2010, 10:14:02 PM »

Thanks Baldi.

Back then there were a couple clubs that only asked for College ID to get in. Also there was like 4 or 5 schools in the area(New Rochelle). Other than to go to the Galleria and one class, I never went to White Plains. Was pretty scuzzy back then if memory serves. Of course that was in the early 90's though maybe it changed?

Its changed big time!  I live in downtown White Plains now - its reallly nice - im walking distance from prob 10-15 bars and restautrants, ranging from ahole in the wall sports bar to as fancy and ritzy as you get.  Lots of good upscale sports bars and irish pubs which get great turn out ont he weekends.

Poison

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »
Those kids flew by me on North Avenue.
I won't forget that.

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »
Kid,  where in WP do you live?  I'm in the highlands neighborhood (right off of south lexington ave).  sweet that u live near mamaroneck & east post rd.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »

Thanks Baldi.

Its changed big time!  I live in downtown White Plains now - its reallly nice - im walking distance from prob 10-15 bars and restautrants, ranging from ahole in the wall sports bar to as fancy and ritzy as you get.  Lots of good upscale sports bars and irish pubs which get great turn out ont he weekends.

They still have that Galleria?
Guy I worked with lives there now too. Loves it. In the early 90's I didn't think much of it. But remember my dorm was in Briarcliff Manor, so a lot of places looked scuzzy in comparison.

pmg911

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »

The problem with your argument is that both Evans & Burrell are really power forwards being forced to play out of position becuse of Coker's lack of development.

and all 3 are below average centers...

Tha Kid

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2010, 01:15:56 PM »

Thanks Baldi.

They still have that Galleria?
Guy I worked with lives there now too. Loves it. In the early 90's I didn't think much of it. But remember my dorm was in Briarcliff Manor, so a lot of places looked scuzzy in comparison.

Yep they do.  Galleria is still kinda scuzzy ha ha, a lone holdover from your glory days!

Why were Pace's dorms in briarcliff manor?