Front Court Frenzy [Johnny Jungle]

• 21 replies
Front Court Frenzy [Johnny Jungle]
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »
St. John's has a lot of talented depth in the front court but how can they develop a rotation to utilize all of their talents better? Continue Reading
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:02:56 PM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Front Court Frenzy [Johnny Jungle]
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »
Fixed the link sorry the one I posted before was broken

xhoops

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 02:12:52 PM »
St. John's has a lot of talented depth in the front court but how can they develop a rotation to utilize all of their talents better? Continue Reading
Outstanding piece DAVE.very well written. The only thing I would stress is.....Burrell can't  use his talent without the team and coach making sure he is featured and give the ball often. Kinda tough to score twenty on 3 shots !

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »
I totally agree that we should start Burrell and Coker.

Does anyone else get the feeling that DJ, Paris and Sean are not big fans of Justin. They never pass him the ball.

xhoops

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »

Does anyone else get the feeling that DJ, Paris and Sean are not big fans of Justin. They never pass him the ball.
Don't the reason but they don't!

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:09:44 PM »

so your saying they dont like justin but thats not the reason they dont pass to him?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

xhoops

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:29:33 PM »

so your saying they dont like justin but thats not the reason they dont pass to him?

No sorry I typed poorly. I meant to say I don't know if what you said is correct. But whatever the reason they sure don't pass to him as they should. I would guess it's just wanting it to be all about them and not playing the game the way it's suppose to be played unselfishly.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 06:36:10 PM »
I don't think its the players not getting him the ball more the fact of the way the offense is ran. People keep getting on DJ's case but I don't see it because he's the man he does everything.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 07:51:32 PM »
I think the piece was well written and agree about starting Coker and Burrell. I also think Coker and Evans could work well together because Coker can make up for Evans lack of concentration on the defensive end. Burrell and Brownlee would work well when we want to play smaller/faster (maybe with Kennedy and Mason as the wings and either Hardy (or Boothe) as the 5th player).

xhoops

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »
I don't think its the players not getting him the ball more the fact of the way the offense is ran. People keep getting on DJ's case but I don't see it because he's the man he does everything.
Well DAVE that's simply indisputable......that's just a fact (3 shots a game). Many possessions I see 3 or 4 times(on one possession they could hit him). They simply don't want to give the ball up. Yes DJ is a stat filler but he also takes shots outside when JB is in great position and doesn't give the ball up on drives when he should always. Nobody is perfect.its just about being totally unselfish.....As a NBA coach said on sports radio tonite...... its .just two things "PLAY HARD and BE UNSELFISH.

xhoops

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »
I think the piece was well written and agree about starting Coker and Burrell. I also think Coker and Evans could work well together because Coker can make up for Evans lack of concentration on the defensive end. Burrell and Brownlee would work well when we want to play smaller/faster (maybe with Kennedy and Mason as the wings and either Hardy (or Boothe) as the 5th player).
Can't afford lack on concentration on D

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 11:52:35 PM »
So does anyone disagree with what I said now? This is a few weeks old but I still think Burrell and Coker should be starting and Evans/Brownlee coming off the bench for energy.

kob24

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »
i think justin and justin should play together at all times

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 08:23:49 AM »
i think justin and justin should play together at all times

I think you have to look at situations there. Brownlee like Evans is a poor post defender. I also like Evans more as a rebounder than Brownlee on the defensive end. Either way both Brownlee and Evans have too many mental lapses defensively to warrant extended minutes. I do like what JB x2 lineup would offer offensively though.

paultzman

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 11:32:37 AM »
I am not a rumor monger, but a good friend with inside information tells me Justin Brownlee is disgusted and will seek to play somewhere else if Norm comes back. Short and simple, he wants to promote his chances of playing overseas for the premier teams and playing limited minutes, his recent family loss aside, is not helping that desire.He deserves 30 minutes/game, not 11.

boo3

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »
I am not a rumor monger, but a good friend with inside information tells me Justin Brownlee is disgusted and will seek to play somewhere else if Norm comes back. Short and simple, he wants to promote his chances of playing overseas for the premier teams and playing limited minutes, his recent family loss aside, is not helping that desire.He deserves 30 minutes/game, not 11.

more good news.  the worse, the better. lets be rid of Norm.

kob24

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 11:59:04 AM »
i see what u are saying dave maybe norm can switch up his defensive beliefs and play a zone. i just think both justins look for each other and both are threats in the post. and the can pull their man out 15 feet and hit the jump shot

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 12:38:12 PM »
i see what u are saying dave maybe norm can switch up his defensive beliefs and play a zone. i just think both justins look for each other and both are threats in the post. and the can pull their man out 15 feet and hit the jump shot

I agree but I think this team is more of a man to man team than a zone. We get so flat footed in a zone and its just so ineffective. If we moved to zone then we'd have to practice that for a while and not just implement it now.

I also feel confident in Dele's ability to pick and pop a midrange shots. I think he struggles identifying where to pass the ball sometimes but I also think that is due to the lack of time he gets on the floor. If he got more minutes I think we could tap more potential.

I was irate last night watching the rotation and everything seems to be based on fouls committed.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 12:46:01 PM »

Well I think "rumors" like this tend to come out during losing streaks. Also Brownlee is currently averaging over 20mpg not the 11 you claim which is good for 6th most on the team. The only 2nd highest player is Paris Horne who averages 25mpg only 5 min more than Brownlee. The only player who plays more than Brownlee in his position is Sean Evans who plays a measly 2 min more per game. I do think Mason has cut into Brownlee's minutes but that wouldn't be an issue next season.

His lowest averages have come recently but that might be to the fact he missed some practices and a game due to his leave of absence. If you don't practice you don't play policy might have been a factor. I can't say I agree or disagree with that bc I'm not sure if that is the case.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »

Off topic: did you forget to tell Justin to get any rebounds last night?