Tommy Amaker

• 58 replies
Re: Tommy Amaker
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2010, 02:42:40 AM »
willard and his dad would be great gets.
Is it because you feel anyone would be an upgrade over Roberts?
What have either of them done as a head coach that would make you believe that they were "great gets" for a Big East program? Just curious.
the younger willard who'd be head coach is doing a great job at iona.  this team had a two win season before he got there.  no one would be surprised to see them in the ncaa's this year.  he's a pitino pedigree, which says alot.

ralph willard is also a pitino pedigree.  he was an assistant at syracuse the year they went to the final game against indiana.  he was an assistant coach for the knicks.  associate head coach at kentucky.  as head coach at western kentucky, the team was top 25 and made the sweet 16.  he's a former patriot league coach of the year who put holy cross on the map.  admittedly didn't do well at pitt...but we're not asking him to come aboard as head coach.

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2010, 03:50:35 PM »
Ralph was mediocre at... Pitt?  Was it Pitt?  But Kevin's doing a decent job bringing Iona up from a no-talent assclown of a team to one that's 9-1 in the MAAC.  He might be worth a look. 

Who do you think are the up and coming coaches, Not-Sleeveless?
"Up and coming" varies, but almost all are relatively young. I included a few older guys that may be looking for that one career crack at a high-major program (a la Jarvis at GW).

I think it will take an exceptional recruiter and a disciplined mind to be able to be able to restore the program to the upper echelon of the Big East and be a consistent Top 25 program. Given the likely below-average salaryand Chris Monasch, St. John's will likely have to hire outside counsel to enable the transition to be a success.
Tony Barbee
Chris Mack
Randy Bennett
Erik Reveno
Brad Brownell
Larry Harrison
Josh Pastner
Brad Stevens
Jeff Capel
Charlton Young
Dave Rose
Kevin Willard
Vince Taylor
Fran McCafferey
Jeff Battle
Tony Shaver
Blaine Taylor
Ben Jacobsen
Doug Wojcik
Brian Gregory
Russ Springmann
Donnie Jones
Chris Collins
Sydney Johnson
Joe Dooley
Rod Strickland
Scott Duncan
Ken McDonald
Steve Forbes
Billy Kennedy
Ed Cooley
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:51:25 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »

"Up and coming" varies, but almost all are relatively young. I included a few older guys that may be looking for that one career crack at a high-major program (a la Jarvis at GW).

I think it will take an exceptional recruiter and a disciplined mind to be able to be able to restore the program to the upper echelon of the Big East and be a consistent Top 25 program. Given the likely below-average salaryand Chris Monasch, St. John's will likely have to hire outside counsel to enable the transition to be a success.

Tony Barbee
Chris Mack
Randy Bennett
Erik Reveno
Brad Brownell
Larry Harrison
Josh Pastner  X
Brad Stevens
Jeff Capel  X
Charlton Young
Dave Rose
Kevin Willard
Vince Taylor
Fran McCafferey
Jeff Battle
Tony Shaver
Blaine Taylor
Ben Jacobsen
Doug Wojcik
Brian Gregory
Russ Springmann
Donnie Jones
Chris Collins
Sydney Johnson
Joe Dooley
Rod Strickland
Scott Duncan
Ken McDonald
Steve Forbes
Billy Kennedy
Ed Cooley

Good list to start.  I've put X's next to those that already have better jobs.  ONe of you do the same to those who are too old and another to those that don't have HC experience (a mandatory next time).  Let's see where we end up.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2010, 05:05:40 PM »
I'd add Chris Mooney from Richmond to this list myself.  he's put a solid team together from Wainwright's crap at Richmond.

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2010, 06:37:15 PM »
Rod Srickland? He's Calipari's weed dealer

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »
Maybe Roy Williams might like Queens?

hahaha. if for some strange reason (aka the planets align and the basketball gods bless stj)
and he were to come here.

i think i would seriously cream my pants. hahah

but this would never happen. hes never leaving unc

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2010, 02:19:28 AM »

Ralph was mediocre at... Pitt?  Was it Pitt?  But Kevin's doing a decent job bringing Iona up from a no-talent assclown of a team to one that's 9-1 in the MAAC.  He might be worth a look. 

Who do you think are the up and coming coaches, Not-Sleeveless?

Tony Barbee
Chris Mack
Randy Bennett
Erik Reveno
Brad Brownell
Larry Harrison
Josh Pastner  X
Brad Stevens
Jeff Capel  X
Charlton Young
Dave Rose
Kevin Willard
Vince Taylor
Fran McCafferey
Jeff Battle
Tony Shaver
Blaine Taylor
Ben Jacobsen
Doug Wojcik
Brian Gregory
Russ Springmann
Donnie Jones
Chris Collins
Sydney Johnson
Joe Dooley
Rod Strickland
Scott Duncan
Ken McDonald
Steve Forbes
Billy Kennedy
Ed Cooley
Good list to start.  I've put X's next to those that already have better jobs.  ONe of you do the same to those who are too old and another to those that don't have HC experience (a mandatory next time).   
Thanks. Although they weren't placed in any particular order, I didn't exactly pick them randomly.

Tony Barbee:38, turned UTEP (horrible place to recruit to) around, very good track record as a recruiter, does have the seal/stench of Calipari:)
Chris Mack -very good rep as an instructor and a solid Midwest recruiter, limited hc (Xavier) experience, 40
Randy Bennett- has made St. Mary’s into a consistent mid-major winner, Catholic school experience
Erik Reveno-rep as a very good big man coach, has made perennial doormat Portland into a postseason contender in short time, Catholic School experience
Brad Brownell-very successful at both UNC-W and  Wright State, 41
Larry Harrison-Created the pipeline for Huggins to WV from our area, from Danbury, coached at Hartford (AE COY) , ex-NBA scout,
Josh Pastner
Brad Stevens-Butler is a top 25 team, 32, never missed the NCAA Tournament, 74-14 in 3 years
Jeff Capel
Charlton Young-CY helped Hewitt get a lot of SE players, not exactly articulate
Dave Rose-will very likely win MWC COY for the third time in his five years, Mormon
Kevin Willard-
Tony Shaver-took the beyond rural and womanless Hampden-Sydney to a D-III title game and made absolute doormat W&M into a contender and was named CAA COY twice already, mid-50s
Blaine Taylor-300+ wins, coached at ODU, Montana, and Stanford
Ben Jacobsen-39, set the record for wins last year and will likely break it this year, MVC COY last year
Doug Wojcik -played with David Robinson, revived Tulsa, 45, worked w/Izzo, but coached with Doh and Quartlebaum-with Jordan leaving, he’ll likely do the same
Brian Gregory-very good recruiter, Izzo disciple
Sydney Johnson-35, Assistant on Georgetown’s FF team, slowly resurrecting Princeton
Joe Dooley-NJ native, ECU head coach, 44, assistant for Fraschilla and Self’s NCAA title team
Ken McDonald-RI native, 39, great recruiter for Barnes at Clemson and Texas, led WKU to the second round of the NCAA Tournament in his only year
Billy Kennedy-a success at Southeastern LA and Murray St., was an assistant coach literally all over the country, 46
Steve Donahue-led isolated and frigid Cornell to back-to-back titles and the first Top 25 ranking in over forty years, 47
Ed Cooley-Al Skinner disciple, solid basketball mind, with the ability to get after it on the recruiting trail, has made Fairfield, a perennial coaching graveyard, into a competitive program
--------------------------------------
Only assistant coaching experience
Jeff Battle-right hand man for Skip Prosser and Gaudio, along w/ Pat Kelsey helped Wake land all of the talent
Scott Duncan-great eye and recruiter, arguably the go to guy on the West Coast
Russ Springmann-With McDonald, helped make Texas a recruiting powerhouse
Vince Taylor-Very good recruiter and articulate, spent time with three coaches that have won national titles: Pitino, Krzyzewski, and Tubby Smith
Chris Collins-hands down, Duke’s best recruiter over the past decade, very analytical basketball mind, has interest in the NBA
Donnie Jones-Pearl’s right hand man at UT and UWM,
Rod Strickland-sells the ex-NBA angle to guards, Bronx native, actually hits the pavement on recruiting
Steve Forbes-Pearl’s chief recruiter, got players for Gillispie at A&M, former head coach at JuCo powerhouse, Barton, 42

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2010, 03:01:31 PM »
Great eyes don't mean a guy can coach.  I am a big fan of the job Brownell has done, though I expected both better results and expected him to move on... I'll take a longer look at these soon.

And some of these guys can bring in a coach who knows the area and the recruits well. 

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
Great eyes don't mean a guy can coach.  I am a big fan of the job Brownell has done, though I expected both better results and expected him to move on... I'll take a longer look at these soon.

And some of these guys can bring in a coach who knows the area and the recruits well.
Suit yourself. As for the eye aspect, I only referenced that once, which was regarding the career assistant, Scott Duncan (who is ubiquitous during recruiting's open period).

boo3

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »
What about Jim Christian  TCU?  Did a great job at Kent state. Local guy with roots all over LI.  He can coach.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »

Suit yourself. As for the eye aspect, I only referenced that once, which was regarding the career assistant, Scott Duncan (who is ubiquitous during recruiting's open period).
I'm not ripping your list; I just don't think a coaching first-timer should be cutting his teeth in the Big East, even if he's really knowledgeable and crafty about the game.

Additionally, and you alluded to this, I'm not sure that the current admin staff is all that great at identifying a candidate who hasn't been a head coach before who will have actual success.

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 04:19:21 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that every one would be a worthy candidate for the St. John's position, but they're all capable of moving up in their profession and will be on the short list of ADs in March. Although you could theoretically include Capel as a candidate (the Maven had written that Coach K had recommended the then young VCU coach to Wegrzyn), it's hard to believe that one could come up with a worse final list than Roberts, Leitao, and Doherty. All three have or will very likely be fired in short time.

mkras99

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 04:45:41 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that every one would be a worthy candidate for the St. John's position, but they're all capable of moving up in their profession and will be on the short list of ADs in March. Although you could theoretically include Capel as a candidate (the Maven had written that Coach K had recommended the then young VCU coach to Wegrzyn), it's hard to believe that one could come up with a worse final list than Roberts, Leitao, and Doherty. All three have or will very likely be fired in short time.

Don't forget Tim Welsh.

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 04:56:55 PM »
Don't forget Tim Welsh.
Thanks for the help. I knew there was another glorious candidate, but I had a mental block on Wegrzyn and the other candidate. ;)

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 06:21:35 PM »
Don't forget Tim Welsh.
Thanks for the help. I knew there was another glorious candidate, but I had a mental block on Wegrzyn and the other candidate. ;)

Would not supprise me to see Welsh get the Fordham job, with Siena being a longshot if Fran leaves

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 10:11:50 PM »
Don't forget Tim Welsh.

Would not supprise me to see Welsh get the Fordham job, with Siena being a longshot if Fran leaves

thats an interesting thought baldi and certantly a possibility. it will be interesting to see where siena looks if mckaffery leaves ,wonder how coaches will look at the siena job
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2010, 07:12:03 PM »

Tony Barbee
Chris Mack
Randy Bennett
Erik Reveno
Brad Brownell
Larry Harrison
Josh Pastner  X
Brad Stevens
Jeff Capel  X
Charlton Young
Dave Rose
Kevin Willard
Vince Taylor
Fran McCafferey
Jeff Battle
Tony Shaver
Blaine Taylor
Ben Jacobsen
Doug Wojcik
Brian Gregory
Russ Springmann
Donnie Jones
Chris Collins
Sydney Johnson
Joe Dooley
Rod Strickland
Scott Duncan
Ken McDonald
Steve Forbes
Billy Kennedy
Ed Cooley
Good list to start.  I've put X's next to those that already have better jobs.  ONe of you do the same to those who are too old and another to those that don't have HC experience (a mandatory next time).  Let's see where we end up.
Gottlieb is now reporting that DePaul just picked off two of these guys. Tony Barbee and Rod Strickland

Watch Cal now make a run at WWW's best friend, Kenny $$$ Payne-if Phil Knight allows it ;)

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2010, 07:41:15 PM »
Not a good fit. Amaker most def burn some bridges 'round here. Told a lotta peeps and parents he was stickin at the Hall and the next day he jet fo UM.

Don't all coaches do that now a days LOL? That's standard operation procedures today.

mkras99

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2010, 07:56:02 PM »
Gottlieb is now reporting that DePaul just picked off two of these guys. Tony Barbee and Rod Strickland

Watch Cal now make a run at WWW's best friend, Kenny $$$ Payne-if Phil Knight allows it ;)

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/colleges/post/_/id/190/gottlieb-uteps-barbee-likely-depaul-coach