What about Steve Alford?

• 21 replies

Tha Kid

What about Steve Alford?
« on: February 03, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
I haven't heard his name mentioned much but I think he is a very good coach...he got his Big 10 job as a young 35 year old and made the NCAAs a few times.  He's done well at NM --- only NIT last 2 years but good records, and this year he's like 20-3 or something.  I think he is someone who deserve another shot at a power 6 conference...I dont put him in a class of someone like Welsh who tried at it and failed and is past his time...I dont know if Alford has any NY connections, but with Bobby Knight in his corner, as well as others, I'm sure he'd be able to assemble a good staff esp. with Knight probably advising him on how/what to do to start it up.  What about Alford?
"I drink and I know things"

Re: What about Steve Alford?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:02:30 PM »
No thanks

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:06:38 PM »
No thanks

typical baldi.  why not?  Who's your personal top 5?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:10:40 PM »
No thanks

typical baldi.  why not?  Who's your personal top 5?

You said it yourself, no NY connections. I would prefer a local guy

The MAAC has some good coaches who might be worth a look.

Fran McCaffrey
Kevin Willard
John Dunne
Ed Cooley

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »
Fran McCaffrey. 
(1) Recruited NY successfully
(2) Has won
(3) Develops talent
(4) Runs a system NY kids would die to play in
(5) Has never been fired

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
Maybe, if and when Norm is canned....  We can write in our list of coaches who would like to see coaching at St. John's.  Remember, our say (especially, the folk who resides in NYC, NJ and Connecticut) should matter, as it's our money who they are getting.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 02:29:49 PM »
I thought our terrible coach beat McCaffrey this year?

Steve Alford is money. He got a raw deal at Iowa (and did well there) and now they suck. New Mexico was 15-17 before he got there and now they're awesome. AND he loves Jebus (which people on this board or the other board seem to want for whatever reason).

xhoops

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 02:37:31 PM »
I haven't heard his name mentioned much but I think he is a very good coach...he got his Big 10 job as a young 35 year old and made the NCAAs a few times.  He's done well at NM --- only NIT last 2 years but good records, and this year he's like 20-3 or something.  I think he is someone who deserve another shot at a power 6 conference...I dont put him in a class of someone like Welsh who tried at it and failed and is past his time...I dont know if Alford has any NY connections, but with Bobby Knight in his corner, as well as others, I'm sure he'd be able to assemble a good staff esp. with Knight probably advising him on how/what to do to start it up.  What about Alford?
Don't get me started on Stevie boy... I'm a Hawkeye.......He was horrible at IOWA......while he pocked 1.2 million a year..no March MADNESS.......but fluffy hair....a pretty boy......IOWA fans have a shoot on sight bulletin.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »

Steve Alford is money. He got a raw deal at Iowa (and did well there) and now they suck. New Mexico was 15-17 before he got there and now they're awesome. AND he loves Jebus (which people on this board or the other board seem to want for whatever reason).

I don't think it is a good strategy for your coach to be your best player. One look at Sean Evans, Omari Lawrence or Paris Horne shooting a free throw and he might die of shock.

xhoops

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 02:43:48 PM »

RAW deal??......he got 1. 2 million and could not get in the tourney ......8 years... talk to an IOWA fan........you think you know frustration........15, 000 seat arena on campus steps away, 30,000 students and the BIG TEN......people quit going to games he was so bad(sold out every game under DR. TOM DAVIS(Keno's dad).

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »

RAW deal??......he got 1. 2 million and could not get in the tourney ......8 years... talk to an IOWA fan........you think you know frustration........15, 000 seat arena on campus steps away, 30,000 students and the BIG TEN......people quit going to games he was so bad(sold out every game under DR. TOM DAVIS(Keno's dad).

I assume since then you guys have been awesome?

I think the biggest issue there was he was an Indiana boy.  No doubt the alums didn't like that very much, no?

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 02:49:59 PM »

I think the biggest issue there was he was an Indiana boy.  No doubt the alums didn't like that very much, no?
He made the NCAA tournament 3 times and won the Big 10 tournament twice.

And now they're 8-14.

boo3

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »

And now they're 8-14.

Alford obviously didn't feed Burrell the ball in the post enough.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 02:56:39 PM »
Why do you need to be from NY to have NY connections?
Bob Huggins has some pretty talented New Yorkers.

I think the NY ties line is a complete load of crap.
These kids are itching to get away from NY, and if we want to convince
them to stay we need a great basketball mind first, and a New Yorker second.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 02:59:16 PM »
Agreed on NY ties, in a sense.  if a coach needs to get in the door, why can't he hire an NY person as a recruiter?  And then the coach can say "I win games. And I have this guy you trust (let's say Oz Cross who's on staff if he's connected).  Join the team."

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »
Why do you need to be from NY to have NY connections?
Bob Huggins has some pretty talented New Yorkers.

I think the NY ties line is a complete load of crap.
These kids are itching to get away from NY, and if we want to convince
them to stay we need a great basketball mind first, and a New Yorker second.

It would also help if we can pay players or give them some merchandise like West Virginia,Villanova etc

kob24

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 04:01:38 PM »
HALL OF FAMERS THATS IT. no one else. u have to be in the hall of fame or on ur way

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 04:08:20 PM »
HALL OF FAMERS THATS IT. no one else. u have to be in the hall of fame or on ur way

No Hall of Fametr is leaving their job to come to St Johns. Much like Providence, St Johns is becoming a no win situation

xhoops

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 04:24:17 PM »

And now they're 8-14.
That's all correct... may I add never past the 2nd round in tourney.....DR TOM DAVIS made the tourney every year before him..not 3 out of 9. They did get hot in tourney a couple of times......never won the conference title though. Very poor conference record. The current team is horrible.......ALFORD left the cupboard completely bare.... One last thing.......he asked  for IOWA to pay for his Final  FOUR trips after he was working  for NM as well as university issued cell phones , cars etc. Real classy.
You want to learn about Steve......Search Steve Alford Hair gel blog.

kob24

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 04:29:10 PM »
keno davis will be a hall of famer