Seth Davis on St. John's

• 3 replies
Seth Davis on St. John's
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/seth_davis/02/17/mailbag/2.html

I am a huge St. John's fan and follow every game waiting for them to turn the corner, but after a promising start with wins over Temple, Georgia and Siena, they have fallen off and remain a bottom feeder in the Big East. I know the conference is tough, but I see schools like Seton Hall, South Florida and others achieve big wins against the top-tier programs in the conference and I am beyond frustrated with our being on the cusp but unable to make the next step. I appreciate what Norm Roberts has done in the wake of the Mike Jarvis era, but I think it is time for a change of direction. What are your thoughts on the situation at St. John's and what candidates would you look toward as potential replacements?
-- Russell Corbin, Syracuse, N.Y.

This is a common lament, Russell, and I wish I had an easy answer for you. I have written in the past about the depth of St. Johns' problems, and why it will be difficult (more likely impossible) to re-capture the glory years of Lou Carnesecca.

Norm Roberts is now in his sixth year as coach, but to be fair the first two really shouldn't count given how depleted the program was in the wake of Jarvis' departure. Even so, four years is enough to prove to fans that the program is headed in the right direction. As for what is going to happen with Roberts, I know most people assume he will not make it, but Jim O'Connell of the Associated Press, a St. John's alum who knows the program as well as anyone, told me recently that he believes Roberts has a good chance of coming back. The way Oc sees it, there is only one person that will have a say into whether Roberts will be retained as coach, and that is Rev. Donald Harrington, the St. John's president. Harrington is far less concerned with the team's performance on the court than its performance in the classroom and in the community. There are no more scandals at St. John's, no blaring headlines to embarrass the university. As long as that is the case, Roberts will have a fighting chance to keep his job.

Re: Seth Davis on St. John's
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:06:21 PM »
And this is why us as fans have to embarrass the program by chanting, signs, bags on heads, booing, etc.  If they keep Norm after this year, there is no reason to go to any games, because if they aren't interested in winning, what is honestly the point of having a basketball team.  Hundreds of other teams win without scandal.  I'm sure we can find another good guy to coach but who also knows how to win/.

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:16:10 PM »
If Roberts is retained, every coach at the school should feel safe in their respective job. It will be obvious that success is not a criteria that is taken into consideration when coaching a sport at the University.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:26:40 PM »
If Roberts is retained, every coach at the school should feel safe in their respective job. It will be obvious that success is not a criteria that is taken into consideration when coaching a sport at the University.

Every other coach at STJ alredy enjoys success, though.  It makes Norm's struggles that much more puzzling.