NIT-ology

• 64 replies
Re: NIT-ology
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
They now have SJU as a 4 seed in the NIT, how is this possible?

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
16 wins...some against decent opponents.  we're a lock for the nit today...even if uconn beats us by 20.

the thought of another year of bad basketball...then year eight of even worse basketball is chilling.

Tha Kid

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
They now have SJU as a 4 seed in the NIT, how is this possible?

We won on Fri, Louisville beat Cuse on Sat, ND beat Marquette on Sat...SOS went way up I bet.  THat's how.
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
St. John's was listed as a 4 seed before - a week ago, I believe.

Not sure how accurate the site is, so don't take it as gospel.

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »

It's updated to today.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2010, 12:38:52 PM »

It's updated to today.
But there's the question about accuracy. St. John's was listed as a 4 seed a week ago as well.  I don't see much movement in their seeding.  Updated or not, not sure how accurate it is.

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 08:59:35 AM »
I would be surprised if we got in especially if we lose to Uconn...RPI is in the 70s and maybe that is what they're going on ...If we get in that would mean 8 Big East teams get in the NCAA and 5 Big East teams in the NIT.  I just don't see it.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2010, 09:46:35 AM »
Jumpin - but look at the other major conference teams' record, or look at a list of teams by strength of schedule and RPI.  I am not sure how their formula differs from the NCAA committee's... but there is a chance.

Poison

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2010, 09:51:49 AM »
I think we need to beat Uconn to have any chance of getting into the NIT.

"So you're saying there's a chance?"

boo3

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2010, 09:59:34 AM »
Hypothetically speaking,  If we lose to Uconn and still get an invite (btw, i don't see how this could happen), Norm is back?  Same to assume?  Wow.  Talk about nine lives. 
  Unfortunatley, my personal interest in this program will disappear. Whatever little amount is left.  Oh well.

Tha Kid

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 10:10:21 AM »
I really don't think an NIT invite saves Norm.  I think whatever is done is done barring a run to the Big East finals which would mean 20 wins.  That said, it's also possible that he's safe RIGHT NOW.  I just don't think the NIT invite will play any role.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »
I do think we need to beat UConn to get a NIT bid.
It also depends on how many upsets there are in the Mid Major Conference Tournaments. Regular Season Winners who do not win their Conference Tournaments get an invite to the NIT. I think that plays a big part of us getting in.

If we make the NIT I think Norm is back.

Poison

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2010, 10:37:13 AM »
I do think we need to beat UConn to get a NIT bid.
It also depends on how many upsets there are in the Mid Major Conference Tournaments. Regular Season Winners who do not win their Conference Tournaments get an invite to the NIT. I think that plays a big part of us getting in.

If we make the NIT I think Norm is back.

We can't beat Uconn. Nevermind the fact that we are outcoached in every facet of the game, they have something to play for. The NCAA tourney. If they can beat Nova and WV, a run isn't out of the question.

For us, it simply is, and always will be with Roberts coaching.

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2010, 10:39:47 AM »
Norm was on Mike'd Up yesterday and said he thinks if we win 2 game in the Big East Tourny, we can make the NIT.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

boo3

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »
 Did Mike say anything else to him?  i missed it.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »
Norm was on Mike'd Up yesterday and said he thinks if we win 2 game in the Big East Tourny, we can make the NIT.
Interesting.  Then no NIT because, come on.  That's not going to happen.  I think U Conn is like green kryptonite to St. John's - they have quick penetrating guards and height.  (Strangely, Pomeroy's site thinks it's a 50/50 chance of a win?!) It shouldn't be that difficult to minimize turnovers, pack it in, and defend, but guys still get beat and still gave up fastbreak points.  And U Conn found a shooting touch they just haven't had. 

And Marquette?  Give them a second crack at St. John's and I think they will shore up their deficiencies. One of the best 3-point shooting teams in the country couldn't find their stroke at Carnesecca... I wouldn't place money on that happening again.

I'd love to be less negative, but without Hardy, the team looked painful on offense and it affects their defense.

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2010, 11:54:11 AM »
Interesting.  Then no NIT because, come on.  That's not going to happen.  I think U Conn is like green kryptonite to St. John's - they have quick penetrating guards and height.  (Strangely, Pomeroy's site thinks it's a 50/50 chance of a win?!) It shouldn't be that difficult to minimize turnovers, pack it in, and defend, but guys still get beat and still gave up fastbreak points.  And U Conn found a shooting touch they just haven't had. 

And Marquette?  Give them a second crack at St. John's and I think they will shore up their deficiencies. One of the best 3-point shooting teams in the country couldn't find their stroke at Carnesecca... I wouldn't place money on that happening again.

I'd love to be less negative, but without Hardy, the team looked painful on offense and it affects their defense.

The only reason Pomeroy has it so close is b/c he considers it a "home" game. That being said, anyone who pays the slightest bit of attention knows that their will be more uconn fans at msg than johnny fans anyway.

Poison

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2010, 12:09:43 PM »

What do you mean without Hardy? They stunk with him.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2010, 12:12:54 PM »

The only reason Pomeroy has it so close is b/c he considers it a "home" game. That being said, anyone who pays the slightest bit of attention knows that their will be more uconn fans at msg than johnny fans anyway.
Yeah, I think there have to be factors not plugged in there - U Conn's dominance over St. John's, St. John's lack of offense against height, and Dwight Hardy's likely absence (dude was on crutches at DePaul, though he seemed to be able to stand up without them, for what it's worth).

@Poison - they may have stunk without him, but at least against DePaul they looked LOST without someone to jack up threes.  Keep in mind that they did have some good offensive performances against USF, Notre Dame, Louisville.  Those weren't all Hardy, but the effect of putting another shooter on the floor about 4-5 minutes in helps stabilize the "attack."

Poison

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »

Yeah, I think there have to be factors not plugged in there - U Conn's dominance over St. John's, St. John's lack of offense against height, and Dwight Hardy's likely absence (dude was on crutches at DePaul, though he seemed to be able to stand up without them, for what it's worth).

@Poison - they may have stunk without him, but at least against DePaul they looked LOST without someone to jack up threes.  Keep in mind that they did have some good offensive performances against USF, Notre Dame, Louisville.  Those weren't all Hardy, but the effect of putting another shooter on the floor about 4-5 minutes in helps stabilize the "attack."

I think the players have been proven to be completely irrelevant.

It doesn't matter who he plays, and or what he does. The plan is so piss poor, the results are always the same. The card he used to pull was always "We're hurt, but we keep fighting" and it worked for a bit, but now it's crystal clear to me, that it doesn't matter who he has out there, it's the same story.