Pregame CBTS + Predictions: Marquette

• 33 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Pregame CBTS + Predictions: Marquette
« on: February 23, 2010, 02:23:58 PM »
The Red Storm hope to continue their spoiler ways and hopefully, cobble together enough wins to see a postseason berth.

Is it possible? Sure.

Is it feasible? Ask after the upcoming stretch of games against the better teams in the league, Marquette, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse.

St. John’s favorably has the Golden Eagles and Panthers at home, and have already faced the Pittsburgh squad. But unlike the recent opponents, these teams have tended to execute well this year. Marquette, in particular, has mastered the close loss – against Florida State, against NC State, at West Virginia, against Villanova twice by a total of 4 points, against Syracuse by 5… and against DePaul by 1. The Golden Eagles may not be traditional, and they may not be able to knock off teams at the top of the conference, but they have won enough to likely secure themselves a spot in the Round of 64....

It’s senior day, finally, for Anthony Mason Jr, who has endured a tough road to stay on the court. Here’s hoping for a little Carnesecca magic for the boys. If the Red Storm are really a better team, they need to show it with a win over the Eagles at Carnesecca.

Read More at Calm Before the Storm: Soaring Storm?

And read 5 questions answered by Marquette bloggers Cracked Sidewalks about their team (I answered 5 questions on the Red Storm as well).

Re: Pregame CBTS + Predictions: Marquette
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »
Al McGuire 60
Al McGuire 45

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:42:17 PM »
Marcus Hatten - 71
Dwayne Wade - 64

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »
We need a big game from Burrell. I think we get a win

Steve Shurina 72
Doc Rivers  68

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
Dwight Buckets - 65
Dwight Buycks  - 61

I feel bad about missing Jr. on Sr. night.  JJ, come strong as you did against SH.
Let's make this season interesting.
Let's go Redmen. 

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 03:20:42 PM »
We don't matchup well with Marquette.  They are skilled, they can shoot, and they don't make mistakes.  We only beat teams that are bad or that are prone to mistakes. 

Lazar is ridiculous.  I think he'll be a very good pro, if not an all-star even if he gets drafted in the second round. 

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 03:34:05 PM »
We don't matchup well with Marquette.  They are skilled, they can shoot, and they don't make mistakes.  We only beat teams that are bad or that are prone to mistakes. 

Lazar is ridiculous.  I think he'll be a very good pro, if not an all-star even if he gets drafted in the second round.

I'll agree with you, in that Marquette can shoot the ball.  I've seen them put five players on the floor and all of five were capable of hitting the trey.

As, far as Lazar Hayward....  He's a decent player....  But, I've seen him toss up quite a few bad shots in the paint.  Just flip it up and it's either an ugly shot or a shot getting volleyballed (I made up that word, lol) back in his face.

Otherwise, if they create any dribble-penetration then we're mud.  They are gonna make it rain....  The 3-ball, that is.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:34:49 PM by mjdinkins »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:39:24 PM »
I don't see how St. John's actually wins this game, but a team that shoots the 3 that much can get cold for stretches.  MJDinkins has it right though, if they start dribble penetrating they're gonna drop 3-bombs from every corner of the arc.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 03:49:18 PM »
Perhaps they'll shoot poorly into the sea of red behind the baskets in their first time at the quirky Alumni Hall?

Maybe Jr. will go off on Sr. day and lead us to victory.

Or maybe we can outrebound them and do some damage inside as they are downright lilliputian.

How could we go 1 - 3 in confence at Alumni this season?  We probably didn't even do that in Norm's first season of walkons.

Wods317

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 03:53:36 PM »
MU-76
SJU-68

More inconsistent play

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 04:00:22 PM »
Cheese-68
Concrete-59
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 04:05:22 PM »
Bo Ellis - 68
Malik Sealy- 58

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »
Steve Novak 65
Sergio Luyk 58

kjd01067

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 05:40:51 PM »
Got a feeling this one could be real ugly.

STJ 59
MARQ 74

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
Marquette 63
St. John's 50
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
Cheese - 75
Authenticity - 62

Dare these guys to hit wide open threes,
and we'll be down 20 at the half. Maybe more.

Only chance is get Burrell and Evans going inside.
If we start launching threes, they'll murder us-and we'll deserve it. Well, Norm will at least.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:18:50 PM by Poison »

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 06:20:25 PM »
Lazar Hayward 65
Lamont Hamilton 58

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 06:21:48 PM »
St. John's 64
Marquette 60

"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 10:46:16 PM »

I'll agree with you, in that Marquette can shoot the ball.  I've seen them put five players on the floor and all of five were capable of hitting the trey.

As, far as Lazar Hayward....  He's a decent player....  But, I've seen him toss up quite a few bad shots in the paint.  Just flip it up and it's either an ugly shot or a shot getting volleyballed (I made up that word, lol) back in his face.

Otherwise, if they create any dribble-penetration then we're mud.  They are gonna make it rain....  The 3-ball, that is.

I'm a huge Lazar Hayward fan.  He is tremendously skilled.  He also has above average NBA athletic ability.  To have both is rare. He's clearly not a guy that is meant to carry a team as a scorer, though.  He won't have to be at the next level.  He's outstanding in the post, both rebounding and offensively.  I'm anxious to see how he measures in at the combine.  If he measures in at a true 6'6, I'm writing him down as a future all-star.

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 11:20:23 PM »
we played the worst game of basketball ever played against them in the bet last year. i have never been more embarrassed than i was watching that game. if the players cant draw from that loss last year and play well, norm prolly should phone in the last few games.