Marquette Post Game Discussion

• 62 replies
Marquette Post Game Discussion
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »
That was a tough one...
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

paultzman

Re: Marquette Post Game Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:11:46 PM »
Exhausting to say the least. The effort was there in most respects, but the execution as usual was not. Our blown shots (Evans, etc) are simply a symptom of a very sick patient. Calling Dr. Kavorkian!

Wods317

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 10:14:51 PM »
I got so into that game, that buzzer beater honestly killed me. This loss really hurts our NIT chances which is probably a good thing because the NIT could be used by the administration to keep Norm. In the long run a loss was probably better but man that was really tough. We deserved to lose though even on that bs shot because we missed tons of layups.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »
I just got back from the game.  Here are a few thoughts.

The refs were AWFUL in the second half and it probably costed us the game. 

I don't care if Boothe made the shot to tie at the end of the 2nd half or not, there is no way he should be allowed to take that shot.

Why was Burrell not on the floor at the end of the game?

Evans and Hardy missed layups that absolutely killed us.

That play under the basket in OT was the most pitiful display of defensive rebounding I have ever seen.

We went through a stretch in the second half where we just couldn't run any offense.  Too much run up jumpers by Evans, Brownlee and Boothe with plenty of time left on the shot clock.

The crowd was flat for the first 35 minutes but electric for the last 10 minutes.

DJ Kennedy is the man.

Just an extremely heartbreaking loss.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:22:01 PM »
Burrell fouled out.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »
When it was close at the end, I was thinking we might as well win. A loss in a close game is just as good as a win for Norm to stay.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:24:58 PM »
Burrell fouled out.

Yea that's my bad, it was really loud in there and everyone was going nuts...I should have been on top of that, I was probably yelling at the refs like a maniac at the time.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:25:28 PM »
Wife (Marquette grad) just said "sorry" and left me alone. She's not really sorry which makes it worse. I want to crawl under a rock.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »
Tough loss for the kids. That was a heartbreaker. The crowd REALLY seemed loud in the last minutes!

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »
Tomorrow the Post wil say that this was a moral victory after we got killed by them in BE Tourney last year.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 10:37:26 PM »
I honestly heard two other students talking on their way out and one kid said to the other, "I don't know why everyone hates Norm Roberts, We got to overtime against Marquette"  I had to try very hard to restrain myself.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 10:48:17 PM »
I honestly heard two other students talking on their way out and one kid said to the other, "I don't know why everyone hates Norm Roberts, We got to overtime against Marquette"  I had to try very hard to restrain myself.

LOL  Those kids are use to St. John's losing....  So, they'll find any silver lining in a close game to an average-to-decent Marquette team.

I bet, if they had been watching St. John's basketball for 20 years or more then they would see why many folk dislike Norm the coach (not the person) and the administration.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 10:49:31 PM »
If they'd been watching for 10 years they'd see!

Heck, 5 years should be enough.

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 10:51:50 PM »
way too many blown layups

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:54:38 PM »
If they'd been watching for 10 years they'd see!

Heck, 5 years should be enough.

I'm a sophomore now but I've been following the team religiously since I was about 7.  I had season tickets for a while before I came to school here so I guess I've been a bit more exposed to the downfall than most students but the apathy towards the program was, quite frankly, shocking upon coming here.  I know we don't have a lot to cheer about but it's still absolutely pathetic.

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 11:13:21 PM »
I was there.  Heartbreaking, heartbreaking loss. 

Yes, the refs hurt is late in the 2nd half and OT, BUT we got A LOT of calls from them in the first half and the beginning of the 2nd half, so it sort've evened out.

Burrell was awful tonight.  He gave up THREE wide open threes without coming CLOSE to contesting the shots, and he lacked so much confidence offensively with the ball, it was hard to watch.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 11:18:51 PM »
I'm not sure it was lack of confidence.  They knew what he was gonna do with the ball and they defended it well.  He has to make the move before the double team can get there---and he doesn't.

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 11:24:55 PM »
burreell had three great passes
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 11:25:35 PM »
Hey TRab was that you in Sec 3 that put the bag on at the end of the game?

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 11:37:34 PM »
yep. where were you??
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap