Marquette Post Game Discussion

• 62 replies
Re: Marquette Post Game Discussion
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
At work will watch 2morrow but we had twice as many turnovers as them...ballgame over.

kob24

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 02:55:15 AM »
i dont think burrell played bad theo. he wasnt aggresive at all but he did everything else. he was passing and grabbing boards.

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 03:06:36 AM »
I don't think Burrell played bad either. He didn't have many opportunities offensively and when he did he made things happen. 3 huge assists to Hardy (2 of them were for 3), a pretty give and go to Mason, and he had another 1 as well I can't remember off the top of my head. 

He missed a 3 point attempt himself but it was a good looking shot and he had one nice post move on hayward had the look but shot fell short(he needs more of those looks no one can stop that). Also he showed Sean Evans how to finish with a monster dunk.

Burrell was also very big on the glass on both ends of the floor. He ran down 1 offensive board late in the game which was huge it must have touched 4-5 different guys and Burrell tracked it down.

Also KOB called it....

Hayward- 15 shots
Burrell- 4 shots
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 03:09:21 AM »
Also he showed Sean Evans how to finish with a monster dunk.

when he threw down this monster dunk, he was being guarded by one of thier guards. he had about a 6" on him, and at least 75 pounds.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:09:40 AM by theoffspring447 »

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 03:11:22 AM »
A few things that hurt us....

-We collapsed too much on defense in the 2nd half and gave them a ton of open 3's which they hit

-We didn't mix the defense up at all. There was no pressure in their backcourt and when we had a lead it would have been the perfect time to stomp them while they were down instead we sat back.

-We got a pretty bum job by refs in 2nd half and gave them a ton of FT

-We play this stall offense...shit we go to the basket at will and get a lead then we stop? why? Why do we always stop what works. We went into the post and we got points either off a shot, kick, or cut. Then we stop going to the post. Shit I understand if this happens in a game but not every game.

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 03:15:35 AM »

when he threw down this monster dunk, he was being guarded by one of thier guards. he had about a 6" on him, and at least 75 pounds.

What's your point?

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 03:53:16 AM »

sean had 300 lbs and 6.5' on the bug on the floor that #$%^ed up his shot
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:53:49 AM by Glockinfora »

xhoops

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 04:16:22 AM »
burreell had three great passes
Burrell lead the team in assists with 5 and both teams in rebounding with 9.....in addition to playing the best defense on the team.

xhoops

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 04:21:01 AM »
I don't think Burrell played bad either. He didn't have many opportunities offensively and when he did he made things happen. 3 huge assists to Hardy (2 of them were for 3), a pretty give and go to Mason, and he had another 1 as well I can't remember off the top of my head. 

He missed a 3 point attempt himself but it was a good looking shot and he had one nice post move on hayward had the look but shot fell short(he needs more of those looks no one can stop that). Also he showed Sean Evans how to finish with a monster dunk.

Burrell was also very big on the glass on both ends of the floor. He ran down 1 offensive board late in the game which was huge it must have touched 4-5 different guys and Burrell tracked it down.

Also KOB called it....

Hayward- 15 shots
Burrell- 4 shots
Yes DAVE and two of his four shots were 3's  so he only shot  the ball twice inside the three........NEW COACH PLEASE !.......he was the leading rebounder for both teams with 9 plus 5 assists and strong D. How can DJ play 39 minutes and pick up one foul..guard somebody

Foad

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 08:23:30 AM »

Agree generally, although he was a little less aggressive on offense than you'd like. But, Peeve: on two occasions where he chased down rebounds he turned the ball over by letting himself get crowded out of bounds and then trying to throw the ball off the other guy's legs. Besides being pointless and bone headed, it's another symptom of the passivity he's shown on the court for 2 plus years. He lets himself get pushed around, by his opponents (who physically push him without consequences) and and by his teammates (who sometimes ignore him). That's a psychological issue that needs correcting.

It's interesting how his improved rebounding - he has more rebounds in his last 5 games than he had in the previous 21 - has coincided with his increased involvement in the offense. Obviously he was dogging it, because now he's getting about 10 per game, seemingly without effort - he could probably get 20. Hopefully the light stays on, I think he's sitting on a monster senior year.

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 08:53:58 AM »
I was there.  Heartbreaking, heartbreaking loss. 

Yes, the refs hurt is late in the 2nd half and OT, BUT we got A LOT of calls from them in the first half and the beginning of the 2nd half, so it sort've evened out.

Burrell was awful tonight.  He gave up THREE wide open threes without coming CLOSE to contesting the shots, and he lacked so much confidence offensively with the ball, it was hard to watch.

We didn't watch the same game....they were doubling Burrell right away and he had about 5 great passes.  Its not all about putting the ball in the bucket.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »

Yes, the refs hurt is late in the 2nd half and OT, BUT we got A LOT of calls from them in the first half and the beginning of the 2nd half, so it sort've evened out.

Burrell was awful tonight.  He gave up THREE wide open threes without coming CLOSE to contesting the shots, and he lacked so much confidence offensively with the ball, it was hard to watch.

We didn't watch the same game....they were doubling Burrell right away and he had about 5 great passes.  Its not all about putting the ball in the bucket.

He was too tentative when he got the ball, he stood there and 2 defenders tied him up.

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 08:58:09 AM »

He was too tentative when he got the ball, he stood there and 2 defenders tied him up.

He knew it was coming and was looking for the open man.  Great job by Burrell IMO.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 09:01:56 AM »
Burrell lead the team in assists with 5 and both teams in rebounding with 9.....in addition to playing the best defense on the team.

do you include him not even coming close to guarding his man beyond the arc 3 times in that great defense??  his man made all 3 of those threes, btw.  yes, he played well inside defensively, but he costed us bigtime by not contesting those 3 shots.

also, the reason he finished with 4 shots is because he had zero confidence.  he passed up tons of good looks.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

xhoops

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 10:32:09 AM »

do you include him not even coming close to guarding his man beyond the arc 3 times in that great defense??  his man made all 3 of those threes, btw.  yes, he played well inside defensively, but he costed us bigtime by not contesting those 3 shots.

also, the reason he finished with 4 shots is because he had zero confidence.  he passed up tons of good looks.
He plays tough D inside and challenges #3s better than anyone on team, where are the wings and guards on 3's , and what are they doing ?? I've never understood why JUSTIN has to constantly run out from the block to do that.

xhoops

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »

The day he gets "TONS" of good looks from passes.......is the day the unemployment rate will be 2 %.

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »

He plays tough D inside and challenges #3s better than anyone on team, where are the wings and guards on 3's , and what are they doing ?? I've never understood why JUSTIN has to constantly run out from the block to do that.

because it was HIS man  ::) ::)
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
I don't think the unemployment rate has ever been 2%. (first link I saw with historical data is here: http://www.davemanuel.com/historical-unemployment-rates-in-the-united-states.php)

So you're saying it's impossible?  He could get more looks with a new coach.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:10:04 AM by peter »

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 01:02:13 PM »
Other than the obvious missed layups, Justin fouling out was a big factor. He wasn't having a great offensive game but he was the only one capable of getting a big rebound. The "four put back" basket by Hayward that tied the game at 61-61 would not have happened if Justin was in the game. When he fouled out, I admit that I was glad that Brownlee was the replacement however he added nothing in the OT. In retrospect, Evans or Coker may have been a better choice (for rebounding) but they are so prone to committing fouls that probably wouldn't have worked either.

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 01:12:40 PM »