Pecora at the next level?

• 47 replies
Re: Pecora at the next level?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »
I wouldn't want to work in New Jersey. I don't blame him one bit.

Why not, can't wait to hear this reply..?

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »
Hofstra actually got screwed and didnt get a bid the year they beat mason twice in 2 weeks to end the year. They prob would have won the national championship had they been invited considering what they did to GM  **sarcasm**

Poison

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 12:55:55 PM »
Hofstra actually got screwed and didnt get a bid the year they beat mason twice in 2 weeks to end the year. They prob would have won the national championship had they been invited considering what they did to GM  **sarcasm**

sarcasm, eh.

Laugh all you want. That was a very good team.

TONYD3

Tom Pecora
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
Why would/should this guy even be considered? He seems like a decent coach. His teams have been over .500. He has beaten SJU before. That is a decent resume. In my mind he should be allowed to keep his job not get a better one. Since they joined new Colonial Hofstra has been in the middle of the pack to the bottom of their conference. This year 10-8 that is 7 Th place. VMI, George Mason, and old Dominion are no push overs. But if you a cant win there how are you going to beat Syracuse, UCONN, and Georgetown? Pecora does not = Jay Wright.

Wods317

Re: Tom Pecora
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »
He should not be one of the top choices in my mind for the next coach of SJU. I do think though that we could do worse them him also. He is a good coach with ties to NY and hes done a good not great job at Hofstra. Its not that easy to recruit there and hes had some good players and teams.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 08:52:39 PM »
I think there is a lot of parity in the CAA.

Jay Wright did a great job putting the Pride on the map,
but he competed in a weak conference.

The CAA isn't a world beater, but they are no slouch, either.
I think if he had the BE and MSG to sell, he'd be able to recruit BE players.

You judge a coach on a sample of his coaching career, and you could wind up with a guy that got lucky. Is Pecora a home run? Probably not, but he understands the game, and he gets the most out of the talent he has.

Imagine is Norm got the most out of half his players. 

Poison

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 08:54:54 PM »
And speaking of Old Dom, why does it feel like they own GTown?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:25:05 PM by Poison »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 09:31:06 PM »
Please. A mediocrity and proven as so. He had a nice run with Agudio and Stokes. Otherwise, he runs a guard-friendly freelance offense.

That lost to St. John's.

They struggle to score when they don't have a creative enough pair of guards.  So they struggled to score the past 3 years.  They have a number of guys shooting from distance would shouldn't be.  Every year there's a whiny paper article about how haaard it is to compete in the CAA - a league that still seems to get one damned bid every year, parity or no.

Weirdly overrated, don't know why he comes up - because he's one of the only local coaches with a kind of winning record?  That speaks more to the lack of quality in NY-area coaches.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 09:52:11 PM »
Peter, instead if judging the sample. Judge the career.
What Pecora's record against SJU? All time record?

We beat him this year, and it felt like we beat Duke.
Doesn't that count for something?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 10:09:21 PM »
He beat 3 crappy St. John's teams.  Kudos to him.  That team, much like the current team, is not indicative of the teams that he would need to beat.

Our low standards do not count.  I don't care about his all time record.  And neither should you.  The job isn't to beat St. John's or dominate the mediocrity that is NY-area D-1 ball. It's to compete in the Big East.

Pecora is a middle of the pack competitor in the Colonial.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 10:20:08 PM »
Peter, how many BE games would Jay Wright have won if he had to compete with the players he had at Hofstra?

Pecora's CAA players aren't on the table, although Ill take Charles Jenkins. That guy would get burn on any BE team. Even Syracuse.

Can't say that he wouldn't be able to recruit in the BE. We don't know that. What we do know is that he has made decent players good players. And good players very good players.

In the case of Jenkins, a great player. Probably will get some votes for the Naismith Award next year.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:23:25 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
I wouldn't want to work in New Jersey. I don't blame him one bit.

Why not, can't wait to hear this reply..?

I honestly can't tell if you're joking.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 10:33:12 PM »
Peter, how many BE games would Jay Wright have won if he had to compete with the players he had at Hofstra?

Pecora's CAA players aren't on the table, although Ill take Charles Jenkins. That guy would get burn on any BE team. Even Syracuse.

Can't say that he wouldn't be able to recruit in the BE. We don't know that. What we do know is that he has made decent players good players. And good players very good players.

In the case of Jenkins, a great player. Probably will get some votes for the Naismith Award next year.
Jay Wright won in the America East with his players.

Tom Pecora isn't doing so well. With his players.  He's a middle of the pack competitor in the Colonial in conference play - even with this guy who could get burn on Big East rosters.  That speaks to his coaching and team building ability. 

Poison

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 11:32:48 PM »
So what Jay Wright won the America East?
Who cares?

What Pecora is doing is much harder, and yea, I know, he likes to tell us that, but he's right.

He plays in a conference that's usually right there with the MAC and the A10.

Like I said before, let's see how he does now that he knows he's auditioning for higher profile jobs. He's at 18 wins. I think he gets to 20. We'll see.

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 01:19:10 AM »
I always enjoy redstormshoops disclaimers on his posts so I don't move them :)

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

This has turned into one of the most intelligent threads I have read on any of the boards lately. Thanks guys for contributing solid opinions and leaving the nonsense for the next “fire norm” thread.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 09:53:58 AM »
Who cares?

What Pecora is doing is much harder, and yea, I know, he likes to tell us that, but he's right.

Like I said before, let's see how he does now that he knows he's auditioning for higher profile jobs. He's at 18 wins. I think he gets to 20. We'll see.

He's been auditioning for higher profile jobs for years. Every year this article comes up.  The conference isn't actually that good. When was the last time they got 2 bids?  There is parity in the conference, for sure, but it's not that spectacular - there's not really a Xavier in the league.

By bringing up Jay Wright, I'm saying Jay won in the conference he was given.  You have to win in the conference you are in to impress enough to move up. 

Poison

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »
Who cares?

He's been auditioning for higher profile jobs for years. Every year this article comes up.  The conference isn't actually that good. When was the last time they got 2 bids?  There is parity in the conference, for sure, but it's not that spectacular - there's not really a Xavier in the league.

By bringing up Jay Wright, I'm saying Jay won in the conference he was given.  You have to win in the conference you are in to impress enough to move up.

Jay Wright is a great coach. No doubt about that.

But I think Pecora has actually accomplished a lot more at Hofstra than Wright did. Yes, Wright made the Tourney with Claxton, and then he got whooped by 25 in the first round.

Pecora was left with nothing when he got here. His star players were thugs, and he had to kick them off the team, and basically start pver. But he gets no credit for having to do that.

He's not our first choice, and I think we're all in agreement there, but at the end of every season, except for one, his teams are still playing for something—and to me, that's impressive.

And as far as the other coaches in the league, not all of them are looking to leave it. Jim Larranaga has built good teams at Mason, but he hasn't been great every season. Even still, I think that program is every bit as good as Xavier—maybe better.

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 02:07:25 PM »

And as far as the other coaches in the league, not all of them are looking to leave it. Jim Larranaga has built good teams at Mason, but he hasn't been great every season. Even still, I think that program is every bit as good as Xavier—maybe better.

And in one fell swoop the man they call Poison lost any and all credibility to discuss college hoops . . . forever.   ;D

Poison

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »

And in one fell swoop the man they call Poison lost any and all credibility to discuss college hoops . . . forever.   ;D

Remember when I said pre-season #73 Syracuse was going to contend this year?

Neither do a lot of people. That's okay. Keep talking.

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 04:09:14 PM »

Remember when I said pre-season #73 Syracuse was going to contend this year?

Neither do a lot of people. That's okay. Keep talking.

But are they a better program than George Mason???