I don't feel good about it........

• 37 replies
I don't feel good about it........
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:06:28 AM »
But for the first time I am going to openly root against a ST John's team. A win at Depaul does not realistically help the team at this point. Regardless of what they do against Depaul they would need a run in the BET to make the NIT. Now I am not fully convinced a Depaul loss and a first round BET blowout loss will def mean Norm's departure. But a loss at Depaul can't help Norm's cause. For the good of the program I hope we lose to Depaul and that is what I will be rooting for :(

kob24

Re: I don't feel good about it........
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:23:57 AM »
wasju i would hope u of all people believe me. they are not firing him

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:28:12 AM »
If you're going to root for someone, root for the combination of wins that gets St. John's to play U Conn.  Losing to DePaul is not for the good of the program.  They need to beat the teams they're supposed to beat - and that way a decent coach won't look at the Red Storm and think, boy, I can't even win here next year, they lost to De-FREAKING-Paul.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:32:25 AM »

If Norm closes out this season with two losses and he is retained Father Harrington might just as well tell the remaining fans to FOAD.
I am not saying this won't happen KOB, but I have to hope you are wrong!

Tha Kid

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 11:33:57 AM »

this your opinion based on nothing or opinion based on details you can't share?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 11:35:31 AM »
If you're going to root for someone, root for the combination of wins that gets St. John's to play U Conn.  Losing to DePaul is not for the good of the program.  They need to beat the teams they're supposed to beat - and that way a decent coach won't look at the Red Storm and think, boy, I can't even win here next year, they lost to De-FREAKING-Paul.

Peter nothing this team can do in the remaining games short of winning the BET is going to make it any more attractive to anyone. After next year we are starting all over again, I just hope the school is smart enough to hire someone who will at least have a full roster and a little time to start to rebuild.

kob24

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:44:33 AM »
just a havard educated guess

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 11:47:18 AM »
How can they retain this coach?

Foad

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 11:48:37 AM »
But for the first time I am going to openly root against a ST John's team. A win at Depaul does not realistically help the team at this point. Regardless of what they do against Depaul they would need a run in the BET to make the NIT. Now I am not fully convinced a Depaul loss and a first round BET blowout loss will def mean Norm's departure. But a loss at Depaul can't help Norm's cause. For the good of the program I hope we lose to Depaul and that is what I will be rooting for :(

It's hard to believe that a meaningless road game against a basement dweller would be the straw that breaks the Harrington's back. Especially since it's obvious that Harrington doesn't care about basketball. I still think it's 60-40 he's back and maybe they make him bring in an X and O guy. As for the rooting against, I wouldn't know how: I cringe when they miss shots on ESPN Classic in 1992.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »

It's hard to believe that a meaningless road game against a basement dweller would be the straw that breaks the Harrington's back. Especially since it's obvious that Harrington doesn't care about basketball. I still think it's 60-40 he's back and maybe they make him bring in an X and O guy. As for the rooting against, I wouldn't know how: I cringe when they miss shots on ESPN Classic in 1992.

With each loss the media brings up Norm's struggles. A loss to a terrible team that already fired it's coach would just shine more light on things. Or maybe not. I don't know. I just know I would like to enjoy the games again and I can't with the way this man coaches.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 12:17:51 PM »
If Norm is retained I might actually throw up.

Beyond any doubt the students, and fan base would know that the administration does not value success. And for that it's a school that should be held accountable. Not just for basketball.

What kind of message does that send? If I go to SJU, and I try, but fail, should I still get an A?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:19:46 PM by Poison »

sjd8886

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 12:54:07 PM »
prob not, but you would probably be allowed to retake the class over and over and over and over...;)

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 01:27:42 PM »

You were right last year, KOB, but this time I think you are wrong. Norm is a goner. 

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »
this is scary on three levels..
one, kob is closer to those in the program than anyone on these boards...so he has to be more in the know than anyone.

two, body language...monasch sitting on the st john's bench during the syracuse game.  he's physically tying himself into the debacle.  if norm was gone, he'd be distancing himself.

three, i believe FH has a deep seated hatred for sports, sports fans, the websites and its posters.  he'll keep norm around just to stick it up everyone's asses.

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »
one, kob is closer to those in the program than anyone on these boards...so he has to be more in the know than anyone.

two, body language...monasch sitting on the st john's bench during the syracuse game.  he's physically tying himself into the debacle.  if norm was gone, he'd be distancing himself.

three, i believe FH has a deep seated hatred for sports, sports fans, the websites and its posters.  he'll keep norm around just to stick it up everyone's asses.

I agree that its scary that KOB thinks he's staying.  I don't necessarily think Monasch would be distancing himself.  He could have orders to oversee them carefully and make a decision.  Perhaps he has some stones and they like Norm so they are doing the right thing and analyzing the team closely.  if they closely analyze, he should be gone.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 02:56:29 PM »

My understanding is that Kob is close to Justin/Omari and the coaching staff. So unless Kob has become Monasch's tanning buddy or has been hanging with Father H, his opinion is just that his opinion. I do not think anyone outside of Father H knows exactly what is going to happen in regards to Norm. 

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »
I think that Norm will be retained and have a long tenure here.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 11:57:26 PM »
If Norm is retained, I will seriously go into a depression. 

As a sports fan, it'll be more depressing than when my Yankees blew a 3-0 lead to the Sox in the 2004 ALCS.  That's my prediction.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 12:40:07 AM »
If Norm is retained, I will seriously go into a depression. 

As a sports fan, it'll be more depressing than when my Yankees blew a 3-0 lead to the Sox in the 2004 ALCS.  That's my prediction.

Try being a Met fan, pure torture. Knick fan too, I root for all the losers. Jets and IONA are back though!

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 01:10:46 AM »
I've been contact by a few people outside of St. John's who are hearing grumblings...
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle