what happened to Omari Lawrence

• 65 replies
what happened to Omari Lawrence
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:45:09 AM »
Does anyone know why Omari Lawrence is not playing? The starting 2 guard is scoring 7 points a game. Not exactly setting the world on fire. We are 5-11 in the conference. What gives?

sjd8886

Re: what happened to Omari Lawrence
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »
when your about to lose your job, you play your top kids, or what you think is your top kids, all long as you can, as much as you can...omari will be a part of this program in the future, as long as he doesnt completely hate the new coach and leaves...even this year, in what was supposed to be basically a throwaway year for the kid, coming back from his injuries and getting himself completely back in shape, he's been effective almost every time on the court...i feel bad for him bc he really hasnt played much in the last two years, for diff reasons obviously, but also, if i was him, or even stith for that matter, i would be quite upset sitting on the bench watching a guy like boothe play just bc hes got seniority on me

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:36:17 PM »
I would personally try and shake things up. Obviously things haven't been working and Norm shook it up a bit for Syracuse which was laughable at this point.

Personally I'd like to see Omari steal Stith's minutes at the point. Either Omari handle the ball or DJ. Norm always says once we reach the half court everyone is a guard so why not play him over Stith?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:41:17 PM »
I would personally try and shake things up. Obviously things haven't been working and Norm shook it up a bit for Syracuse which was laughable at this point.

Personally I'd like to see Omari steal Stith's minutes at the point. Either Omari handle the ball or DJ. Norm always says once we reach the half court everyone is a guard so why not play him over Stith?

Stith isnt ready for the BE. He hasn't prepared for one BE game this year.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:22:26 PM »
But his top kids aren't good. DJ had a good year. No doubt. Parris Horn? No way. Malik Booth? No way did he have a good season. Hardy did play well. Per 40 minutes Horn's numbers are inferior to Omari's. Forget about Booth ans Stith. They should barely be on the court. Most important your loosing with your line up. The loosing atmosphere is toxic. Unfortunately this team and program will never win number one because administration lives in the past.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 09:00:01 AM »
      The funny thing is there is nothing wrong with Omari. St. Johns just has a coach who does not know his team's/players potential or their weakness. I have watched all year as this coach basically took the game/fire out of his players especially his top recruit!

There was no reason why Omari did not get a lot of playing time except the fact that the coach did not feel his player could contribute.....Simple.  WHAT A DUMB @#$%!

He might be the only player on that roster who really has a love for St. Johns NY and would leave it all on the floor each night........St.Johns is his favorite team!!! He came here because he felt he could make a difference....he was led to believe he would make a difference...Not in 2 years but NOW! HE WAS LIED TO!!!             

But I strongly feel it is not his favorite team anymore!!!

"Attitude reflects leadership"....Thanks coach.

The kid doesn't even get any burn! How do you go from a top five recruit in the city to the St. John's Redstorm bench!? I Know.......A stupid coach ..that's how!

Same Shiznit....Different Year!

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »
AAU folks, including KOB, seem to indicate giving Omari some point time would be wise. Clearly he has more to offer than Stith. Dave is correct IMHO.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:39:24 AM »
maybe he should put that he wants to play on his facebook instead of transfer.  i'd bench him too.

kob24

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
he did boo

boo3

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 11:31:08 AM »
good to know, thanks Kob

kob24

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 02:29:16 PM »
what kills me is that today durand looked good playing the point and kevin plays the point foward for zona. why isnt omari getting a chance

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »
what kills me is that today durand looked good playing the point and kevin plays the point foward for zona. why isnt omari getting a chance
The same question has been on my mind for half the season.

mkras99

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 03:52:25 PM »
Norm back = Omari gone imho.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 05:18:26 PM »
don't think he ever said he wants to transfer on facebook. But that is a great observation. All his peers ,those he was ranked ahead of are playing and doing well. Durant at Miami, Parrom at Zona, Triche at the Cuse, all play and are doing well because they got a chance. Lasy night they played Malik Booth and Malik Sith in the backcourt at the same time!! I think he is telling Omari to transfer actually. You now that is the one thing Norm is good at. He will get a player to transfer out. No Dwight Hardy and he still didn't play. Crazy! He'll get his and just don't think it will be at St. John's especially under this regime. What, to sit anothr year on a loosing team behind players who are not getting it done?

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 08:27:45 PM »
When Omari was getting some minutes he showed "flashes" of real talent but at other times it seemed like he was having trouble adapting to the speed of the college game. Many have said that he seemed "out of shape" (not sure if that was accurate). Hope he works hard this summer on his conditioning, his handle and his free throws and comes back next season regardless who the coach is. IMO if he does all of the above he will get minutes next season and be a big part of this team.

kob24

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 10:06:25 PM »
My thing is that the season wasn't a success and he is supposed to be part of the future why not redshirt him if he wasn't gonna play or give him 10 minutes a game. Unless they feel he really sucks

mkras99

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 10:09:31 PM »
Norm's probably trying to force the kid out.  Then again, Omari should've come in in better shape, cardio-wise.  He'll be the man by his junior year, if he's willing to wait it out.

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 10:44:42 PM »
He definitely did not come in to the season in shape. But that was then. The bottom line is skill set and he has it. He was the first ALL-City NYC recruit he got. Why didn't they monitor him in the off season and have conditioning plan for him. It is partly his responsibility yes, but it also comes down to the program. I asked around and apparently he does very well in practice. I think your right, he is trying to get the kid to transfer. Like I said Norm is great at that and ultimately he will succeed. But at the expense he will never get a top NYC player again, let alone a player from the NY Panthers, Gauchos etc. What big NYC AAU coach will send his kid there now after this mishap with Omari. And let's be realistic, it is the AAU coaches who pull the most weight.

mkras99

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 11:28:32 PM »
He definitely did not come in to the season in shape. But that was then. The bottom line is skill set and he has it. He was the first ALL-City NYC recruit he got. Why didn't they monitor him in the off season and have conditioning plan for him. It is partly his responsibility yes, but it also comes down to the program. I asked around and apparently he does very well in practice. I think your right, he is trying to get the kid to transfer. Like I said Norm is great at that and ultimately he will succeed. But at the expense he will never get a top NYC player again, let alone a player from the NY Panthers, Gauchos etc. What big NYC AAU coach will send his kid there now after this mishap with Omari. And let's be realistic, it is the AAU coaches who pull the most weight.

Norm will be gone, so it won't matter.

LJSA

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 01:01:42 AM »
I think Norm fancies himself as an old-time coach, building character through punishment and embarrassment. The problem is that it's not 1950, so a kid is just as likely to transfer as he is to get the lesson. Just fire this goddamn idiot already before he drives Omari off.