what happened to Omari Lawrence

• 65 replies

Foad

Re: what happened to Omari Lawrence
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 07:58:51 AM »
Norm's probably trying to force the kid out.  Then again, Omari should've come in in better shape, cardio-wise.  He'll be the man by his junior year, if he's willing to wait it out.

To recap your opinions in this thread: Omari should have gotten some burn, but he wasn't in good enough shape to get any burn, and he'll probably transfer, and Norm is trying to force him out, and he'll be the man in two years. You'd think you'd have all the bases covered in there but you're still way off the mark IMHO.

What I think will happen is that Omari will have a sex change operation and transfer to Uconn to play for Gene Auriemma, his dream coach. Unfortunately Omari, now Omarina, will develop plantar fascia while recuperating from the operation, which causes her to report to Uconn 40 pounds overweight. Not only does this effect her playing time, but she will not get invited to the home coming dance because nobody likes a fattie. Upset and depressed, Omarina's will turn to food for comfort  (she will be particularly fond of Combos, the official cheese snack of Nascar); her weight will spiral out  of control and she will balloon to 270 pounds, causing Auriemma to kick her off the team. The 28 year old Omarina will then undergo a penile implant, a round of hormone therapy, and a course of liposuction and will transfer back to Saint John's, where she will finally be a man, if not the man, for new head coach, Family Guy creator Seth Green, who had been hired when Father Harrington mistook him for VAtech's Seth Greenberg, all of those people looking pretty much alike. 

mkras99

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 09:49:52 AM »
Norm's probably trying to force the kid out.  Then again, Omari should've come in in better shape, cardio-wise.  He'll be the man by his junior year, if he's willing to wait it out.

To recap your opinions in this thread: Omari should have gotten some burn, but he wasn't in good enough shape to get any burn, and he'll probably transfer, and Norm is trying to force him out, and he'll be the man in two years. You'd think you'd have all the bases covered in there but you're still way off the mark IMHO.

What I think will happen is that Omari will have a sex change operation and transfer to Uconn to play for Gene Auriemma, his dream coach. Unfortunately Omari, now Omarina, will develop plantar fascia while recuperating from the operation, which causes her to report to Uconn 40 pounds overweight. Not only does this effect her playing time, but she will not get invited to the home coming dance because nobody likes a fattie. Upset and depressed, Omarina's will turn to food for comfort  (she will be particularly fond of Combos, the official cheese snack of Nascar); her weight will spiral out  of control and she will balloon to 270 pounds, causing Auriemma to kick her off the team. The 28 year old Omarina will then undergo a penile implant, a round of hormone therapy, and a course of liposuction and will transfer back to Saint John's, where she will finally be a man, if not the man, for new head coach, Family Guy creator Seth Green, who had been hired when Father Harrington mistook him for VAtech's Seth Greenberg, all of those people looking pretty much alike.

FRAT.

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 10:07:56 AM »

FRAT.
Are you two frat brothers?

Foad

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 11:44:49 AM »

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 11:45:31 AM »
I thought his play was up and down, but never a liability on the court.  As for  his limited minutes, he got what he deserved for being out of shape. What I have a hard time understanding is why bench him in the back end of the season when he obviously looked better.  I watched Villanova     
and think he has the goods.  I'm sure he is in better shape now than he was in October.  For that i'm at a loss.
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »
His best game of the season was against Nova and he had decent contributions in limited minutes for I think 2-3 games after that then he hasn't played a lick.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
how was he out of shape? im confused

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 05:44:37 PM »
how was he out of shape? im confused
I have been laughing at those "out of shape" statements all year! Ridiculous
Same Shiznit....Different Year!

mkras99

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »
Just like Dele was out of shape past two years. Omari may have been cut, but he's carrying an extra 15-20 lbs.

kob24

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
omari was always a big guard people. HE USED TO PLAY THE FOUR. we would use him to guard pfs and centers during the summer. u have never seen him bent over gasping for air. so once again where does this out of shape thing come from.levance is a big kid no one was calling him out of shape. the only thing u can get on him about is his explosiveness. and thats for the trainer to get him better.

mkras99

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »
omari was always a big guard people. HE USED TO PLAY THE FOUR. we would use him to guard pfs and centers during the summer. u have never seen him bent over gasping for air. so once again where does this out of shape thing come from.levance is a big kid no one was calling him out of shape. the only thing u can get on him about is his explosiveness. and thats for the trainer to get him better.

By all accounts he put on a lot of muscle/weight while he was out with his shoulder injury and he never took it off.  You don't think that extra muscle hurt his explosiveness/quickness?  You can say it's on the trainer, but it's on him as well.  It's all a moot point/lost season anyway.  Another reason for Norm to go is b/c I don't want this kid to transfer

kob24

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »
omari wasnt explosive he is athletic but not explosive. that is something they should have worked on. the brief times we seen him play he was hitting the open man in transition. he was pushing the ball up court. his problem is his jump shot which has been documented. and he was not making his bunnies.

mkras99

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 06:19:17 PM »
omari wasnt explosive he is athletic but not explosive. that is something they should have worked on. the brief times we seen him play he was hitting the open man in transition. he was pushing the ball up court. his problem is his jump shot which has been documented. and he was not making his bunnies.

He's one of the more intelligent players on the team imho.  Will be interesting to see how he does under a new coach, be it at St. John's or elsewhere.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »
Here's the thing, though.  I really like his game and his ability to get his shot off (and his ability to do things all over the court).  But you know what, he can;t be on the court shooting like that.  His numbers make the other guards look consistent (ok, maybe not Malik Stith). 

I do hope he comes back, because I think he just needs to shore up his jump shot/ shooting motion/ free throws.  Because if he stays, I see him starting as the 3 in 2 years and being jst f'ing annoying and relentless for the rest of the league.  I said to some cat (some other blogger, I forgot who). he's like Ol' Dirty - no father to his style.  (Well, maybe a little Paul Harris? Except he wasn't much of a passer and was more of a leaper.)

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 07:28:56 PM »
Its hard to look at Omari's poor shooting numbers in such a small sample size. He's played in 10 BE games and in 4 of them he is shooting 50% or better. In the Villanova game he was 4-6 (2 missed layups).

What I like about Omari is he sees the floor well and makes good decisions with the basketball. He rebounds and runs the floor starting the break. He also gets to the line at a higher rate than all of our guards. However my God he's been atrocious from the FT line. I mean he's worse than Sean Evans. 35% WTF? Seriously he needs to focus more.

Now with all that being said I don't think Omari has gotten into any type of rhythm with this team. Its hard to come into a game and you do something and get yanked. (missed layups against Nova and they blew that lead however Omari was a huge part in getting that lead in the first place) The next game you start second guessing yourself saying what do I do because I don't want to get yanked. (WVU he played pretty well and again they blew a huge lead) Then next thing you know you're not seeing the floor at all and any confidence you had in yourself is gone. (barely sees floor in blowout win again UL nor does he see any action in SHU game) As a coach you have to see this and its your job to keep all your players happy and motivated.

I wanted to see Omari in a few situations against certain teams. I think the biggest question mark came when we played SHU and we couldn't get anything going and DJ and Mason couldn't throw the ball into the ocean and Omari sat. Also a team like SHU who's defense is well whack! is a team Omari could pick apart. He could drive on that team with no interior defense to stop him. Also I thought we could have used him against Marquette at times too.

Malik Stith isn't deserving of minutes right now. Its not like he's playing bad but he just isn't a factor. Perhaps when Boothe was playing so putrid in the beginning of the year, fine try Stith out a bit more but Stith doesn't bring enough to the table right now to play him 8-11 min a game.  (21 vs Nova, 15 vs Rutgers, 16 vs WVU).

I think Omari offers a nice change of pace from Boothe and he doesn't even need to play on the ball either. Why not run DJ there who can see over the press and is a good distributor (when he wants to be).

Omari has a right to be upset and if he feels he's been mistreated I can see that. Its hard to keep your head up when you're not playing and getting spanked on a nightly basis. However Omari can change that by busting his ass twice as hard as anyone else on the team. Beat everyone down in practice no mercy, go Rudy on them. If he's sulking in practice or just going through the motions he isn't helping his case. (I'm putting scenarios out there not saying I know what goes on in practice).
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 11:09:18 PM »
It's surprising Omari hasn't had some run since D-buckets went down.

I think he's shown well, other than at the line, in his limited minutes.  He's strong, plays tough and defends.  Plus he's not afraid to shoot and can get his shot off in traffic.

He's got a guaranteed two years as a starter ahead of him here and hopefully an improved role off the bench next year.

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 12:21:37 AM »
His jumper was never great but he made improvement in it from soph to junior year at St. Ray's.  I think his struggles with it are tied in some ways to his conditioning. The free throw shooting struugles are  out of the blue. He was never this bad in HS

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »
Its hard to look at Omari's poor shooting numbers in such a small sample size. He's played in 10 BE games and in 4 of them he is shooting 50% or better. In the Villanova game he was 4-6 (2 missed layups).

What I like about Omari is he sees the floor well and makes good decisions with the basketball. He rebounds and runs the floor starting the break. He also gets to the line at a higher rate than all of our guards. However my God he's been atrocious from the FT line. I mean he's worse than Sean Evans. 35% WTF? Seriously he needs to focus more.

Now with all that being said I don't think Omari has gotten into any type of rhythm with this team. Its hard to come into a game and you do something and get yanked. (missed layups against Nova and they blew that lead however Omari was a huge part in getting that lead in the first place) The next game you start second guessing yourself saying what do I do because I don't want to get yanked. (WVU he played pretty well and again they blew a huge lead) Then next thing you know you're not seeing the floor at all and any confidence you had in yourself is gone. (barely sees floor in blowout win again UL nor does he see any action in SHU game) As a coach you have to see this and its your job to keep all your players happy and motivated.

I wanted to see Omari in a few situations against certain teams. I think the biggest question mark came when we played SHU and we couldn't get anything going and DJ and Mason couldn't throw the ball into the ocean and Omari sat. Also a team like SHU who's defense is well whack! is a team Omari could pick apart. He could drive on that team with no interior defense to stop him. Also I thought we could have used him against Marquette at times too.

Malik Stith isn't deserving of minutes right now. Its not like he's playing bad but he just isn't a factor. Perhaps when Boothe was playing so putrid in the beginning of the year, fine try Stith out a bit more but Stith doesn't bring enough to the table right now to play him 8-11 min a game.  (21 vs Nova, 15 vs Rutgers, 16 vs WVU).

I think Omari offers a nice change of pace from Boothe and he doesn't even need to play on the ball either. Why not run DJ there who can see over the press and is a good distributor (when he wants to be).

Omari has a right to be upset and if he feels he's been mistreated I can see that. Its hard to keep your head up when you're not playing and getting spanked on a nightly basis. However Omari can change that by busting his ass twice as hard as anyone else on the team. Beat everyone down in practice no mercy, go Rudy on them. If he's sulking in practice or just going through the motions he isn't helping his case. (I'm putting scenarios out there not saying I know what goes on in practice).

I haven't seen enough of him to really evaluate, however he might have the worst looking jumper in the BE. For a 6-4 guy that is a problem.

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »

I haven't seen enough of him to really evaluate, however he might have the worst looking jumper in the BE. For a 6-4 guy that is a problem.

When since has the look of  anyone's jumper caused a problem......again...ridiculous! Has anyone seen him play a full game lately!? For a 6'4" guy that's the problem.
Same Shiznit....Different Year!

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 12:45:04 PM »

When since has the look of  anyone's jumper caused a problem......again...ridiculous! Has anyone seen him play a full game lately!? For a 6'4" guy that's the problem.
http://espn.go.com/ncb/teams/stats?teamId=2599

It sems to be causing Omari a pretty big problem!
34% from the field 34% from the line-BTW I couldn't shoot that bad from the line if I tried. 27 % from three. Now again I haven't seen enough of him to judge the rest of his game but HE CAN'T SHOOT!