« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 11:40:06 PM »
I hear they want Mark Jackson

Re: Well, there is a committee
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 01:27:05 AM »
PMG was right. So give him credit.
That much I know is true.
What they will do remains to seen.
And your evidence is??? 

I understand that PMG has his people and they gave him this “tip”, but do you know anything beyond what he has already posted?

If so, spill your guts…
Quotes… rumblings… links?

If not, why would you start a new thread???

gonzalo

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 02:18:36 AM »
I hear they want Mark Jackson

One of the critics about Roberts was his inexperience as Division I Head Coach. Right.

And what´s the solution? A guy who has never been assistant, a guy who has never been coach, a guy who has never recruited, a guy who has not lived in New York since...

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 02:21:42 AM »
I would welcome mark jackson. It would be instant buzz, plus if he can get a good season out of these guys next year, the sky is the limit when he s got 9/10 schollies to dish out. What NYC pg wouldnt want to learn under jackson?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 02:24:17 AM »
I would welcome mark jackson. It would be instant buzz, plus if he can get a good season out of these guys next year, the sky is the limit when he s got 9/10 schollies to dish out. What NYC pg wouldnt want to learn under jackson?
One who wants to win?

Or one who has no idea who Mark Jackson is.

Every person who is in love with the Mark Jackson idea, please find 16-17 year old who is good at what they do - preferably basketball - and tell them to describe Mark Jackson to you.  They'll be, "he's that announcer.  He says funny stuff."

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 02:32:25 AM »
well whatever they do they need 2 get a new coach asap so we can get on these recruits fast!!
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

xhoops

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 04:19:03 AM »
One who wants to win?

Or one who has no idea who Mark Jackson is.

Every person who is in love with the Mark Jackson idea, please find 16-17 year old who is good at what they do - preferably basketball - and tell them to describe Mark Jackson to you.  They'll be, "he's that announcer.  He says funny stuff."
I am kinda tired of the thinking that if it didn't happen in this week....accomplishments didn't happen. Mark Jackson is a winner as a college player, NBA player, and TV work. He is on TV constantly, more than the KARDASHIANS.......if you are on TV, everybody knows you are a star. If this team had a  solid point guard and  ran a smart offense that shared the basketball they would have way over twenty wins. I think Jackson knows those things very well.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 05:25:21 AM »
Mark Jackson will be known by kids who see him on TV and parents who watched him play.

Remember dad's play a role in recruiting too.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 08:34:53 AM »
See what Choz said on this topic a few days ago, Red and xhoops.

Also see all the threads where posters ask the question, who is the last coach to come in to Div 1 with NO coaching experience at all - let alone high Division 1.  There is a lot to being a head coach of a college team. 

There's no history of this.  He hasn't coached. To me, there would be too much at stake to trust the program to a complete neophyte.  If he'd coached ANYWHERE - done some aspect of the work of coaching, even on an assistant level, maybe.

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »
The way mark jackson is an acceptable hire is if pete gillen or other VERY experienced coaches act as his assistant coaches.  That's the only way I'd be cool with it - and I don't think its a bad idea bc mark is a smart pg - can't compare him to clyde - and I think he has the stuff to be a very good coach.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 09:23:29 AM »
When do I make claims like this?
Why would I start now?

gonzalo

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 09:39:09 AM »
Ok, Mark Jackson is a winner.

But, Isiah Thomas, Dennis Johnson (R.I.P.) and Maurice Cheeks were also good point guards and are/were winners. But do you consider that are/were good coaches?

boo3

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »
  There is little upside to hiring Jackson.  If he succeeds , he will jump to the NBA.  That being said, i wouldn't be upset if he's hired.  We need a change in culture around here.  Mark can do that i think.

Foad

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »
See what Choz said on this topic a few days ago, Red and xhoops.

The problem with what Choz said last week - that kids want the flavor of the week with a track record of getting players to the league  -- is that there's virtually no one who fits the bill (a description that applies to Calamari and who else?) and certainly no one who fits the bill who's coming to SJU. If kids aren't excited by MJ they're not going to be excited by Tom Pecora or Jim Baron or Seth Greenberg or whatever other mediocrity is otherwise going to end up in Jamaica. 

Foad

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 09:47:16 AM »
Ok, Mark Jackson is a winner.

But, Isiah Thomas, Dennis Johnson (R.I.P.) and Maurice Cheeks were also good point guards and are/were winners. But do you consider that are/were good coaches?

Unless your point is that winners are necessarily bad coaches you haven't made one.

gonzalo

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 10:04:35 AM »

Unless your point is that winners are necessarily bad coaches you haven't made one.

My point is that a winner point guard is not always a good coach.

Tha Kid

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »
When do I make claims like this?
Why would I start now?

The problem here is we have 1 poster (PMG) who always puts himself out there and never lies, 1 poster (Poison) who rarely gives any inside info so why would he lie now, not to mention he's never lied before, and 1 poster (RSHF) who never lies.  So obviously there's a conflict.

Personally, I don't care whether or not there is a committee.  I think Norm is done-zo.  And that's all that matters.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:13:07 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 10:18:12 AM »
My point is that a winner point guard is not always a good coach.

What color is the sky? Do you have a theory on that?

Foad

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 10:20:37 AM »
The problem here is we have 1 poster (PMG) who always puts himself out there and never lies,