Is a lateral change...

• 39 replies
Is a lateral change...
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:32:50 AM »
better than Norm Roberts? Seriously, does a new coach who ISN'T a big name bring more to the table than Norm Roberts? Be honest. You can still want Norm gone and admit that perhaps some coaching candidates might not put this program any better off than it has been under Roberts. If you can't get a coach who will take us to the next level do you hold onto Norm begrudgingly?

This post is purely a question posed for debate and not my own personal belief
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

Re: Is a lateral change...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:45:21 AM »
We don't rebound, pass or shoot well.
He should be fired.

Oh, and we don't defend like we've been coached.

I ask any Norm supporter to tell us what he does well?

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:48:24 AM »
I like Norm as a person.  Seeing his press conference on Sports Night on SNY made me feel bad because he is just a genuinely good man and for that moment it made me think of this very question.  My answer to it is that a small-name coach would be better than Norm for the future of this program.  Norm can't hold onto players, and he simply doesn't know how to coach a basketball team.  When Paris Horne sprinted down and took an off balance three with a lot of time remaining on the clock near the end of the game it made me cringe.  When the shot clock was off at the end of the half and Burrell hoisted up a three with 14 seconds left, I was appalled.  He's always saying that the ball doesn't bounce our way and with more luck we would be better, well maybe if he taught his team to play a little more tight and disciplined the balls would bounce our way and we could win some close games.  All these simple small mistakes add up in the long run and that is why we are sitting at 17-15 asking these questions right now.  Norm is a great guy who doesn;t know how to coach basketball at a power conference level and a move needs to be made no matter what kind of replacement we can get in here. It can't get any worse, it really can't.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:58:13 AM »
Lateral movement=Tom Pecora

I'll go as far as saying I dont want Mckillop or Paul Hewitt either.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:05:07 AM »
We don't rebound, pass or shoot well.
He should be fired.

Oh, and we don't defend like we've been coached.

I ask any Norm supporter to tell us what he does well?

You really didn't answer the question posed.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 01:10:09 AM »
I think we have guys out there that have much, much higher ceilings in terms of potential than Norm. I also don't think we'd take a step back with the guys that have realistically been mentioned.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 01:11:04 AM »

Choose RIGHT NOW without beating around the bush: Kevin Willard or Norm Roberts??
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 01:13:25 AM »
Problem is no one knows what a lateral move is until it happens and there are results.  THere are only two real results better or worse than Norm.  The real question you have to ask is are you content with the current situation.  If you arent then you have to make a change.

I'd rather take a chance even if it's  on a young successful mid major guy b/c i think the chances are he will be better than Norm.  The next Jay Wright or Bruce Pearl is out there somewhere, why not take a chance and try and find him.  That's the best case scenerio and we would be lucky to find him, but even if the next guy isnt on that level there is still a good chance in my mind that he will be better than Norm.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 01:16:18 AM »
Wasn't Norm Roberts supposed to be the next Jay Wright or Bruce Pearl? Do we want to rid ourselves of Norm Roberts to get another Norm Roberts?

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 01:19:50 AM »

Choose RIGHT NOW without beating around the bush: Kevin Willard or Norm Roberts??

For next year? Norm Roberts. WIllard needs to win a MAAC tourny game first imo. He hasnt been a head coach very long, but its promising

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 01:24:47 AM »
Not necessarily because he had no track record as a head coach.  Just as a recruiter.

Ill ask you a few questions:  Are you content with the current situation?

Where does Norm Rank among Big East coaches in your mind and will that ever change?

Has he ever even gotten to 11th in the standings in 6 years? 

Will he ever be a better coach than:
JB
Jay Wright
Buzz Williams
Jamie Dixon
Mike Brey
JT3
Rick Pitino
Bob Huggins
Calhoun

If not then why stay with him.   

Think about it this way.  If you are on the board of directors and your CEO has had 6 terrible years and you competiton is consistently better each year are you going to sit on your hands and say well the next guy could be worse?     
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:30:33 AM by B-Squared »

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 01:33:18 AM »
Is that directed at me?

Norm cant be put in the same sentence as some of those coaches but at the same time hes beaten some of them. How many coaches in the land are better than those listed? A few maybe. And why would they leave their current jobs to come here in a league with a few Hall of Fame coaches and some on their way?
Does the school have the resources to lure any of the so called top coaches to the school? If they do have the resources are they willing to pay that coach on top of Norms buyout?

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 01:36:00 AM »
No Dave's previous post.  I should have quoted it. 

But i will say this, Norm right now ranks at best the 14th best coach in this conference.  I'd take a chance and hire someone else because you can only go two back but there is an opportunity to move more spots up.   

And i agree no big time coaches will prob come here, that's why you take a chance on a successful mid major guy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:39:40 AM by B-Squared »

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 01:50:15 AM »
Anyone is better than Norm.  Seriously, he is THAT bad.  It would be tough to find a true lateral move for him...maybe at the HS level.

Norm needs to go and I'll worry about the rest later.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 02:06:18 AM »
the decision is not in a vacuum. if we get an NIT bid and make a deep run, i would view that as a reason to keep him for at least another year.

pecora, willard, or any other mid-major is just not gonna cut it to move us in the top 3rd of the conference or even in the top half.

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 02:30:15 AM »
the decision is not in a vacuum. if we get an NIT bid and make a deep run, i would view that as a reason to keep him for at least another year.

we cant keep givin Norm 1 year extensions.. either hes gone at the end of this Season or give him a 4 year or more extension. the 1 year extensions kill any chances of recruiting the types of players we need.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 08:01:01 AM »
Thing is, with juniors, the team is continually in the bottom quartile.

I seriously believe any successful coach who can put together a program and has experience recruiting could do better than this.  The team has potential, but they make too many mistakes.  The negative momentum is just too great. 

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 08:42:16 AM »
better than Norm Roberts? Seriously, does a new coach who ISN'T a big name bring more to the table than Norm Roberts? Be honest. You can still want Norm gone and admit that perhaps some coaching candidates might not put this program any better off than it has been under Roberts. If you can't get a coach who will take us to the next level do you hold onto Norm begrudgingly?

This post is purely a question posed for debate and not my own personal belief

A lateral change would be a 7 year old girl, propping a dead guy in a chair on the sidelines, or Fred Hill. ANYONE else is a huge improvement. This is the best day for SJU since we lost to Gonzaga in the 2nd round of the NCAA's! 

Tha Kid

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 09:10:38 AM »

Lateral change?  I didn't realize we were looking at guys with no D1 head coaching experience who failed miserably in their only experince coaching college as a head coach?

Anyone will be an upgrade.  Anyone with even the slightest measure of success as a head coach will have this team in the ncaa next year and be a step up from norm.

Jim baron is the only name I have heard repeatedly that I think would be a pointless change.

I want greenberg, or mccaffrey, or capel.

But don't be fooled - hewitt, amaker, pecora, willard, mckillop are all HUUUUGE steps up from norm.  There is no doubt in my mind.

Anyone who thinks norm could do the same as pecora at hofstra or the same as willard at iona hasn't got a freakin clue.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »

Lateral change?  I didn't realize we were looking at guys with no D1 head coaching experience who failed miserably in their only experince coaching college as a head coach?

Anyone will be an upgrade.  Anyone with even the slightest measure of success as a head coach will have this team in the ncaa next year and be a step up from norm.

Jim baron is the only name I have heard repeatedly that I think would be a pointless change.

I want greenberg, or mccaffrey, or capel.

But don't be fooled - hewitt, amaker, pecora, willard, mckillop are all HUUUUGE steps up from norm.  There is no doubt in my mind.

Anyone who thinks norm could do the same as pecora at hofstra or the same as willard at iona hasn't got a freakin clue.

No thanks on Hewitt,Pecora and Mckillop. Mckillop is great but might be a lil too old,Pecora has done nothing in a mid major conference with probably the best player in the conference. Hewitt is a great recruiter with a couple of All Americans and pros on the team and is middle of the pack in a weaker ACC, hows that going to get better in the Big East?