Media and the Players

• 11 replies
Media and the Players
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:12:27 PM »
I'm very surprised that the current players are fielding so many questions regarding Norm's job. I thought they would be shielded a bit from this line of questioning. Do you think its ok for them to be repeatedly asked by reporters about Norm and his job status?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

Re: Media and the Players
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »
I'm very surprised that the current players are fielding so many questions regarding Norm's job. I thought they would be shielded a bit from this line of questioning. Do you think its ok for them to be repeatedly asked by reporters about Norm and his job status?

Great question, Dave.  I do not think it is right for them to be continually asked.  What are they supposed to say?  If they don't support him, they look like a traitor --- and if he somehow isn't fired, then they are screwed.

I think it puts them in an awkward position.  Leave the kids alone.
"I drink and I know things"

boo3

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
 i agree,  whose responsibility is that?   to protect the players. 

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:18:51 PM »

The coach

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:56:25 PM »

All media is filtered through the Sports Information Director, Mark Fratto. I'm just surprised by all of these quotes. Do they ask them in the post-game presser when Norm is sitting right there? Otherwise when do they have access to the players? Does that take away from their school time?

Poison

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:18:42 PM »
Perhaps if the administration had taken ownership of the program, these kids wouldn't be bothered.
It's not fair to ask them what they think. Especially during the season.

How often has Donald Harrington answered questions about the coach?

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »
Perhaps if the administration had taken ownership of the program, these kids wouldn't be bothered.

How often is he asked about the program?

Poison

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 04:34:44 PM »

How often is he asked about the program?

Every season, and he gives the wrong answer.
Hopefully that changes this year.

The media has turned their attention to the players,
because it's their job to get answers, and no one else is
speaking on behalf of the program.

Is it wrong, yes, but the media should be blamed for
searching for an answer.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:51:50 PM »
That quote by Omari is relieving, I guess we can put the idea of him transferring to rest.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »
No, we can't.  If you get a reporter in front of  guy who is thinking of transferring, but wants to play in case there;s an NIT berth - or doesn't want to be a distraction to his teammates - what's he gonna say?  "Well, I'll see if Greenberg comes and if Oz is retained, and then I'll decide whether I am going somewhere." 

I think it would take a $%&*head to say "I hope this dude cleans out his office."  I also think the players are being put in a bad place by this timing (and yes, I know I am contradicting something I said earlier about how I thought the media relations people were doing an ok job with this). 

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 02:58:40 PM »

All media is filtered through the Sports Information Director, Mark Fratto. I'm just surprised by all of these quotes. Do they ask them in the post-game presser when Norm is sitting right there? Otherwise when do they have access to the players? Does that take away from their school time?

The coach has some say in the matter. Jarvis didn't want freshman to talk to the media for their first semester.

When I worked in the Sports Info. office, media would call the office and request interviews with players, coaches, etc. We would then call the players and they would come into the office when they were free for a telephone interview.