if a NIT bid somehow saves norm...

• 60 replies

Tha Kid

Re: if a NIT bid somehow saves norm...
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 12:43:23 AM »
I have a feeling we're going to get Paul Hewitt.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 12:44:35 AM »

If St Johns cant afford Greenberg do you think they can afford Hewitt?

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »
Six years ago it looked like we had a good shot at Hewitt then Ga Tech made their "miracle run" to the finals and he got big $$$ to stay at Tech. Hope this doesn't happen again. Not sure if he's even interested in SJU or what the "buy out" is at GT, but if he wants to come here I would gladly take him. Rumors are that McCaffrey isn't interested. IMO the administration better be sure they can land Hewitt or Greenberg before letting Norm go. I'll be real disappointed if we get "rejected" by those guys and then have to settle for a Baron, Pecora or Amaker.

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »
Six years ago it looked like we had a good shot at Hewitt then Ga Tech made their "miracle run" to the finals and he got big $$$ to stay at Tech. Hope this doesn't happen again. Not sure if he's even interested in SJU or what the "buy out" is at GT, but if he wants to come here I would gladly take him. Rumors are that McCaffrey isn't interested. IMO the administration better be sure they can land Hewitt or Greenberg before letting Norm go. I'll be real disappointed if we get "rejected" by those guys and then have to settle for a Baron, Pecora or Amaker.

Great point, they better have someone in the fold before the firing. I think Hewitts buyout is 7.5 million

Tha Kid

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
According to my quick reading of this contract, Hewitt's buy out is about $4 million --- half of his compensation for the term, and he's on a 6 year rollover currently paying him 1.375 mil.

Paul Hewitt Contract - Georgia Tech basketball

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »

Great point, they better have someone in the fold before the firing. I think Hewitts buyout is 7.5 million

Maven posted Hewitt's contract on BEB a while back.  I think I remember seeing some weird out in the contract for this year.

hewitt gets paid $1.375m
Paul Hewitt Contract - Georgia Tech basketball

Tha Kid

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
Actually, if we got Hewitt before April 15 (the contract rollover date) there will only be 5 years remaining so 5 x 1.375 divided by 2 = about 3.5 mil buy out

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 09:35:40 PM »
Actually, if we got Hewitt before April 15 (the contract rollover date) there will only be 5 years remaining so 5 x 1.375 divided by 2 = about 3.5 mil buy out

didnt read the entire contract, but if thats the case, forget it. i would rather buy out pitino. hes getting $2.25M at louisville. our $9M 6 year offer can be extended to him for 4 yr/$2.25M.

Tha Kid

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 09:46:12 PM »

didnt read the entire contract, but if thats the case, forget it. i would rather buy out pitino. hes getting $2.25M at louisville. our $9M 6 year offer can be extended to him for 4 yr/$2.25M.

Why would you assume Pitino's buy out is only 1 season?

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »

not assuming. just saying if we were going after hewitt and had to buy him out, i would go after pitino with the same total package but only for 4 years. we would match his salary and buyout whatever his contract is....just saying if sju was willing to buy out hewitt, we should just do it for pitino.

Tha Kid

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 09:57:21 PM »

not assuming. just saying if we were going after hewitt and had to buy him out, i would go after pitino with the same total package but only for 4 years. we would match his salary and buyout whatever his contract is....just saying if sju was willing to buy out hewitt, we should just do it for pitino.

couldn't it be too expensive potentially?

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »

couldn't it be too expensive potentially?

yes it would......maybe your right, hes extended thru 2013. it would cost SJU a minimum of 6.75M minimun to buy him out. on an absolute scale if hewitt cost $3.5M to buyout, i would pay the additional 3M buyout reduce the time on the 6 yr. 1.5M sju is willing to pay and makine it 4 yr/$2.25M or 3 yr/3M and get him here. 3M and minus 2-3 year would be the difference between pitino and hewitt.that would be the best SJU could do. if he says no, i could live with that at least we know sju did what they could to get him here.

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 10:41:37 PM »
Now you guys are talking! ST JOhns needs to go bigtime with this hire and get some money together. You listening Vitamin water guy?

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 10:44:46 PM »
you know what to satisfy me, sju doesnt even need to enter into contract negotiations with pitino/donovan, just a simple phone call soliciting them would be sufficient for me to know the administration is thinking big and showing some NYC balls. it cost nothing and ill pay for the phone call and for monarch to fly to louisville if negotiations did take place!

\\ with all this being said, sju would probably keep norm!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 10:51:04 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 10:54:26 PM »
seriously, all i want is a phone call to pitino/billy, thats it, it cost nothing to reach out. show some balls. with all this being said, sju would probably keep norm!

Exactly! Dont settle, go for the big name! Thats what St Johns needs, find a way to pay 1 of these guys and we're back quicker than you can fantasize about. I dont want some of the guys mentioned, its just not good enough. I'd rather have Norm for another year and see what shakes out

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 11:02:40 PM »
seriously, all i want is a phone call to pitino/billy, thats it, it cost nothing to reach out. show some balls. with all this being said, sju would probably keep norm!

Exactly! Dont settle, go for the big name! Thats what St Johns needs, find a way to pay 1 of these guys and we're back quicker than you can fantasize about. I dont want some of the guys mentioned, its just not good enough. I'd rather have Norm for another year and see what shakes out

nothing against seth g, the man makes $850K/yr and now says we dont have the $ hes looking for if were willing to shell out 1.5M/6yrs? GARBAGE  . he aint worth it. 4ncaa appearces during a 20 yr career, no thank you

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/story.cfm/story/665578

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 11:12:07 PM »

nothing against seth g, the man makes $850K/yr and now says we dont have the $ hes looking for if were willing to shell out 1.5M/6yrs? GARBAGE  . he aint worth it. 4ncaa appearces during a 20 yr career, no thank you

Another great post from you! Who the hell is this guy to say St Johns cant afford him? What has he done? He has 23 wins and is on the bubble, the resaon being he played a booty schedule. No thanks, whose next?

Tha Kid

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 11:16:51 PM »

Did anyone HEAR Seth say this?  Was he ever quoted in a story?  If not, why are you beliving the bs?

Matrco - running with norm if you cant get pitino or donovan is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded.  Why is it better to go w norm than hewitt, greenberg, willard, etc.?

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 11:21:28 PM »

Did anyone HEAR Seth say this?  Was he ever quoted in a story?  If not, why are you beliving the bs?

Matrco - running with norm if you cant get pitino or donovan is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded.  Why is it better to go w norm than hewitt, greenberg, willard, etc.?

Hewitts not going anywhere with this run hes on now. Do you think Greenberg is the man St Johns needs? As for Willard, he needs more experience imo,needs to win in the MAAC first. And Im a huge Willard fan.

Take a minute and dont compare any of these guys to Norm. And what do you see? Think they could hang in th e Big East with the sharks?

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »

kid, hewitt buyout and greenburgs (paraphrased comments on redmen.com) indicated to me that it will cost a fortune, i would just rather pay the difference and get it done with a big name, we need a game changer.

sometimes the most expensive decisions are the most difficult but correct ones to make. i just want 'the attempt' by the administration....

look at it from monarchs point of view. if hes wrong with the next hire, hes fired, right? so if i were him, lobby for the best. there is no dubt in my mind we can afford it. the 1.5M/6yr deal was anti $...SJU would not put this on the table with no wiggle room for negotiations...if you were bidding for something you wanted, and your budget was $100....would you start the bid @ 100? no. you would start a # where you had some more leverage.....sju has the money.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:36:15 PM by buckeyestorm »