Who now?

• 95 replies

Tha Kid

Who now?
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »
Greenberg's a good option, but I look into Jeff Capel first - he just lost 2 players, perhaps he'll be looking to bolt.

I also sit down with Steve Donahue from Cornell once they're out.

Definitely interview Fran McCaffrey as well.

I'm just happy Pecora's already been scooped up....and happy Jim Baron is not available to talk yet.
"I drink and I know things"

Re: Who now?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »
I want Greenberg, I don't want Seton Hall's sloppy seconds.  Although McCaffrey wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:33:15 PM »
Willard.  If not Capel.  Willard might not be ready per se, but he has a number of NY/ NJ players - those coaches trust him with their guys.  McCaffery.

Donahue might be a good coach, but he's a) going to have to convince players from areas/ AAU teams he's never recruited to join up with him and b) he has 4 winning seasons with the same class - including the son of an NBA'er who has been an impact player from day one.  That might be some coaching, but that stinks of luck/ a lucky connection.  Donahue has 6 losing seasons previous to that.  he does have a 56% winning percentage in the Ivy, though.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:36:47 PM »
Why do we want ACC bottom dwellers?

I'd stay clear of Donahue because its a completely different brand of basketball recruiting up against the big boys.

I'd turn to McCaffrey, Capel, Willard in that order.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 01:48:36 PM »
McCaffrey, Greenberg, Willard in that order.

I don't think Capel is possible.

Definitely no on Donahue.  Too much of a leap to the Big East.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

sjd8886

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »
willards not ready and dont the aau guys hate greenberg?

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 02:12:20 PM »
dont the aau guys hate greenberg?

saw something to that affect on zags...not sure where that is coming from.  Originally I thought it was just that they liked Hewitt and Pecora...not that they disliked Greenberg.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 02:18:37 PM »
If no guy now is in line with the AAU / HS guys then it is wide open. 

Probably not even on the radar, i mentioned him once before but Scott Drew from Baylor.  IS 39 makes less than 1/2 a mill a year and unlike Norm turned that program around and is a great recruiter.  I think he hired John Wall's AAU or HS coach as an assistent so he knows how to play the game so to speak.  That may not sit well with some people but right now i have no problem with it. 

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 02:38:23 PM »
Why do we want ACC bottom dwellers?
"Mr. Monasch, whenever you're done with Purnell,
I've got Frank Haith on line 2."

xhoops

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 02:40:23 PM »
Willard.  If not Capel.  Willard might not be ready per se, but he has a number of NY/ NJ players - those coaches trust him with their guys.  McCaffery.

Donahue might be a good coach, but he's a) going to have to convince players from areas/ AAU teams he's never recruited to join up with him and b) he has 4 winning seasons with the same class - including the son of an NBA'er who has been an impact player from day one.  That might be some coaching, but that stinks of luck/ a lucky connection.  Donahue has 6 losing seasons previous to that.  he does have a 56% winning percentage in the Ivy, though.
No mid majors. looking to double their salary.....need a big timer !

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 02:46:53 PM »

No mid majors. looking to double their salary.....need a big timer !
Conversely: no retreads.  I would much, much, much rather have a midmajor.  I hate that the media and the fans are so hard for a big name - like the school is a big name - that they don't want an up and comer who could prove to be a real find. 

Most coaches start at mid majors.   

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »
There are big names in mid majors! It's win win. McCaffrey!

Look at Sean Miller.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 02:55:53 PM »
How about Rick Majerus?

boo3

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »
 I'd take Mccaffery before greenberg i think

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 03:17:01 PM »
Here's a name I haven't really heard much of.  What about Al Skinner?  There was some talk he might be fired after this season, and he's had GREAT success at BC.  Only problem is he's almost 60 but he's from the area and was a big-time coach for a long time.

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »
Herb Sendek

Foad

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 03:42:20 PM »
Herb Sendek

If you lose the NY angle, there's coaches on the level of Sendek and Lon Kruger. And if you do, and I hate to agree with southernJ, but why not Tubby Smith, who was rumored to be going to Tech if Hewitt left.

"A person close to Smith told me about a month ago that Georgia Tech "would be an intriguing job" for Smith if it were to open up this year. The person said Smith didn't want to rebuild another program, which is why Oregon and Auburn don't make sense for him."

But he wouldn't be rebuilding here, exactly. If they're serious, this is someone they talk to.

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 03:47:43 PM »
Donahue!!!! Let's run a play for once!

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 04:04:11 PM »
If Tubby is truly available...Give him 2.5 million and lets call it a day.

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »
There are big names in mid majors! It's win win. McCaffrey!

Look at Sean Miller.

The jury is still out on Miller.
@NYsportsfan2222