Jayvaughn Pinkston - PF - Bishop Loughlin - Brooklyn, NY - VILLANOVA

• 284 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Jayvaughn Pinkston - PF - Bishop Loughlin - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »
Wouldn't it be funny if on Wednesday Jayvaughn says, "St. John's"

It's ok if everyone has skepticism and for good reason by past encounters however lets wait till Wednesday.

I already had to deal with my Dukies losing Harrison Barnes.  Not getting my hopes up 2x in one week.  Jay ain't committing here if he's committing now.  No way no how.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »
I said it on redmen last month where he was going
You did volunteer that information
He can recruit.  ;)
Given the context of who Pinkston was looking at, there was a funny scene in N.LV when Pearl walked in with his stunning fiance. Coaches were commiserating with him over getting WWW'd by Selby (no less when he was away at the Maccabi Games), when Pearl makes a dash from the coaches after spotting the married Jay Wright chatting up Pearl's new fiance.

As they say in Knoxville, men's basketball is the fourth biggest sport-right after football, women's basketball, spring football and just ahead of baseball.

UT already has a fine 2010 class as is and he has another big time PG who verbaled for 2011. I would be concerned with their academic problems though and dropping below the NCAA's Academic Progress Rating. They lost a scholarship this year because of it and you never know with a few transfers or if Bobby Maze(Senior JUCO) flakes out of classes they could be in jeopardy again.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2009, 03:33:58 PM »
I would love to be wrong. As a diehard fan I am as upset as all of you are about where we are as a program and not being able to get a kid like J but he's not coming. I will say however that their are people close to him that did want to see him here at SJU

I certainly hope, but doubt, that Kimani was one of them.  That would be the only potential silver lining here.

« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »
He can recruit.  ;)
Given the context of who Pinkston was looking at, there was a funny scene in N.LV when Pearl walked in with his stunning fiance. Coaches were commiserating with him over getting WWW'd by Selby (no less when he was away at the Maccabi Games), when Pearl makes a dash from the coaches after spotting the married Jay Wright chatting up Pearl's new fiance.

As they say in Knoxville, men's basketball is the fourth biggest sport-right after football, women's basketball, spring football and just ahead of baseball.

UT already has a fine 2010 class as is and he has another big time PG who verbaled for 2011. I would be concerned with their academic problems though and dropping below the NCAA's Academic Progress Rating. They lost a scholarship this year because of it and you never know with a few transfers or if Bobby Maze(Senior JUCO) flakes out of classes they could be in jeopardy again.
The book on Pinkston has been that he's a pathetic student. I'm sure the New Heights guys, who at the highest level, like to talk about how concerned they are with academics, wouldn't send him to the current #106 school without making sure he'll get plenty of tutoring and easy classes.

mkras99

« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2009, 03:42:58 PM »
He can recruit.  ;)

The book on Pinkston has been that he's a pathetic student. I'm sure the New Heights guys, who at the highest level, like to talk about how concerned they are with academics, wouldn't send him to the current #106 school without making sure he'll get plenty of tutoring and easy classes.

Wouldn't shock anyone if he didn't qualify.

« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2009, 03:55:44 PM »

Wouldn't shock anyone if he didn't qualify.
Exactly

« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2009, 05:00:36 PM »
I am not going to kick Jay now about his grades cause he is not coming to St. John's.

A lot of people said Lance was not going to qualify.

I would love to see Jay ay St. John's

« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2009, 05:19:08 PM »
I think every St. John's fan should be rooting and hoping that Jay chooses St. John's. He'd be a great addition to this team. Omari and Jay would be a great 1-2 punch
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

mkras99

« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2009, 05:47:45 PM »
I think every St. John's fan should be rooting and hoping that Jay chooses St. John's. He'd be a great addition to this team. Omari and Jay would be a great 1-2 punch
Could not agree more.  Not sour grapes on my part at all.  There really are legit questions about his academics though.

boo3

« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2009, 06:02:41 PM »
  If (when)  Pinkston signs elsewhere.  Who is the next top recruit that should be the staff's target?  And are they high impact?  Thanks in advance for your insight.

Poison

« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2009, 07:40:25 PM »
Might be a good idea to not recruit another small forward since we already have 2 of them that will be upperclassmen in 2 years.

« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2009, 07:53:59 PM »
Might be a good idea to not recruit another small forward since we already have 2 of them that will be upperclassmen in 2 years.

Agree, needs to be PF/C or PG if the Malik's don't look good as the year rolls on.  Jack, Rhoomes and Walker seem to be the only big guys even vaguely listing SJU.

« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2009, 08:45:21 PM »
  If (when)  Pinkston signs elsewhere.  Who is the next top recruit that should be the staff's target?  And are they high impact?  Thanks in advance for your insight.

I got a feeling that it would be another JUCO if the HS big men aren't BE material.

« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »

« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »
Best of luck to Jay from all accounts this kid can ball. On to the next recruit.

Poison

« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2009, 08:34:56 AM »
Yes, best of luck to him. Hopefully, he won't get arrested for armed robbery like the current UT athletes.

Something fishy going on here.

« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2009, 09:50:29 AM »
PER ZAGS

After initially planning on announcing his college decision Wednesday afternoon in a press conference at Bishop Loughlin, JayVaughn Pinkston will now hold off until the late signing period.

“He’s not going to commit today,” New Heights athletic director Kimani Young said.

“JayVaughn and his family have decided that he will not make his college choice decision today. He’s not 100 percent sure where he wants to go to school so rather than make a rush decision he’ll just wait unitl the spring.”

The Daily News reported on its website Tuesdsay that Pinkston, a 6-foot-6 forward from Bishop Loughlin considered the top high school player in New York City, would announce for Tennessee Wednesday.

But Pinkston is not certain where he wants to play and will now wait until the spring. He is also considering Villanova, Seton Hall, St. John’s and Marquette.

“He’s going to go to  the best situation for him,” Young said.

Whether this decision impacts Tobias Harris at all remains to be seen.

The 6-8 Harris is slated to announce Thursday and Tennessee is considered one of the favorites to land him, along with Syracuse, West Virginia and Louisville.

Harris’ father, Torrel, said Monday that if Pinkston chose Tennessee it wouldn’t necessarily inhibit Tobias from going there as well.

Now that Pinkston isn’t announcing for Tennessee, it could open the door even wider for Tennessee. But we won’t know for sure until Harris makes his announcement.

This has to be good news for us
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:51:43 AM by Red2395 »

« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2009, 10:03:52 AM »
I consider this good news. Unless he's wavering between UT & Vil.
Molloy '71

mkras99

« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2009, 10:10:41 AM »
Definitely not bad news for us, which is good.

« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2009, 10:31:04 AM »
Definitely not bad news for us, which is good.

Exactly, mkras!  Maybe, someone or some people are in his ear and would like for him to stay home and play for the Johnnies.  So, Pinkston is taking a wait-and-see approach to the Johnnies season before making an announcement where he's gonna play next season.

Hopefully, that is the case and we can sway him by seasons end.  C'mon to St. John's, Jayvaughn!