« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »
Sleeveless, I wasn't saying that a strong role model didn't exist anywhere,
just not everywhere.

If Rob Thomas had a role model at 15, and the kid couldn't read,
that role model should be in jail.

Moose

Re: Jayvaughn Pinkston - PF - Bishop Loughlin - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2009, 12:49:17 PM »
every major player in the u.s has a handler.
Who's Harrison Barnes' "handler?"
Austin Rivers? Kyrie Irving? Roscoe Smith? Kendall Marshall? Ray McCallum? Trey Ziegler? Phil Pressey? Nate Lubick? Brad Beal?

The key is to have a strong, independent parent (usually male) who isn't looking at their kid as a meal ticket. All these kids have at least one strong parent.

Exactly
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
http://www.newyorksportswriters.org/blog/blog-2009-11-19.shtml

It's unclear how Harris' decision might affect Bishop Loughlin standout Jayvaughn Pinkston, a 6-foot-6 forward who had been heavily recruited by the Vols. He is now expected to choose between St. John's and Villanova in the spring, although it's likely other schools will renew their pursuit before the spring sining period in April.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/11/19/2009-11-19_tobias_harris.html

Earlier this week, Loughlin's Jayvaughn Pinkston, another touted power forward, scheduled a press conference for Wednesday morning, and the Daily News reported on Tuesday that he was expected to sign with Tennessee. He canceled the event early Wednesday morning without explanation.

Some have surmised that Harris' interest in Tennessee scared Pinkston off.

"I am not saying that they could not both coexist, but they are both hybrid forwards," said recruiting analyst Tom Konchalski.

Harris said he believes he could play with Pinkston, and added that he hopes that Pinkston, who is often compared to former NBA stars Jamal Mashburn and Charles Barkley, still considers Knoxville. Torrel added that both players could share the court easily, especially because the Volunteers will graduate five players after this season.

"They have openings," he said. "And Tobias can play five positions."

But while the Vols may continue to recruit Pinkston, Tennessee is likely no longer his preferred destination. Local programs St. John’s and Seton Hall had also heavily recruited Pinkston, as did Marquette and Villanova. All could rekindle their interest in the 6-6 forward, as could a few new programs.

“We hope we have a shot at him now,” said one major-conference assistant. “I’m gonna really get after it now.”
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #203 on: November 20, 2009, 12:29:36 AM »
I'm not a big fan of talking about pushing our guys out the door. Let the cards fall where they may but lets not start campaigning to get rid of our own for someone who may not even want to come here. I'd love to have Jay and if it works out than so be it.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJU79

« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2009, 09:29:25 AM »
As of now Jay is thinking about Seton Hall and SJU. My understanding is Nova has fallen a bit back of the pack. I can tell you he is PISSED about the way things went down with UT. Again my understanding is Norm has promised him a ship should he choose SJU

mkras99

« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
I will lose my shit if this kid ends up at SHU.

« Reply #206 on: November 20, 2009, 10:08:10 AM »
If it does come down to SHU & St John's it is all about who creates the most buzz this year. We need to win.

So far so good

Poison

« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2009, 01:53:28 PM »
Could Ron Roberts prep for a year?

« Reply #208 on: November 20, 2009, 02:27:01 PM »
I will lose my shit if this kid ends up at SHU.
Hopefully, Norm and Q can beat Bobby G and and Derm in a head-to-head matchup. Do you think Nova won't be participating in Round 2?

mkras99

« Reply #209 on: November 20, 2009, 04:12:55 PM »
I have no idea, though I don't see why they wouldn't.

« Reply #210 on: November 21, 2009, 09:11:33 AM »
"...Pinkston, who is often compared to former NBA stars Jamal Mashburn and Charles Barkley..."

Stop this.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #211 on: November 21, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »
Yea, he's probably better than Barkley.

« Reply #212 on: November 21, 2009, 11:59:52 AM »
Are Mash and Barkley even similar?  I think of Mash as a finesse player, while there was absolutelu NO finesse in Barkley's game (or his tv commentary, btw).

pmg911

« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2009, 02:28:59 PM »
If it does come down to SHU & St John's it is all about who creates the most buzz this year. We need to win.

So far so good

Seton Hall is going to be much better then us this year.

« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2009, 02:36:54 PM »

So far so good

Seton Hall is going to be much better then us this year.

FWIW, Seton Hall beat St Peters at the buzzer. St Peters just lost to LIU whom we beat by 12. I think Seton Hall is a tourny team,just saying

kob24

« Reply #215 on: November 26, 2009, 12:47:10 AM »
"...Pinkston, who is often compared to former NBA stars Jamal Mashburn and Charles Barkley..."

Stop this.
lmao that had my stomach hurting choz. oh man classic

pmg911

« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2009, 09:31:02 AM »

Stop this.
lmao that had my stomach hurting choz. oh man classic

I am with you guys...    the younger guys who are posting here really just don''t understand how good Mashburn was in high school and how effortlessly he dominated the game.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #217 on: November 27, 2009, 03:26:47 PM »
That ain't the people posting here - that's the Daily News.  Take it up with them!  i don't see where they get Mash from.  Or even Charles Barkley - that dude was an unbelievable force of nature, a whole lot of "how does he do that?"

« Reply #218 on: November 27, 2009, 09:26:06 PM »
The comparisons appear to be based on body type rather than skill.  I think whenever you have a big guy like Pinkston you'll get these comparisons.  Like Dejuan Blair compared to Barkley coming out of high school.

I got to see Mashburn play for a half at Cardinal Hayes...he was the definition of Manchild.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #219 on: November 27, 2009, 11:36:19 PM »
I personally don't see the comparisons. He sorta reminds me more along the lines of Rodney Rodgers without as soft as a touch from the outside.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle