"Lavin Leads" Check out this possible coaching staff!!

• 59 replies
Re: "Lavin Leads" Check out this possible coaching staff!!
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 12:52:34 AM »
Peter R. Casey just tweeted that Jay Williams (former Duke version) is in line to possibly become an assistant as well under Lavin!!

(Peter is friendly with Jay Williams, so I trust he's got some good info with this)

I wasn't sure if that was a joke or not.  If that is actually true though, Slice, Leitao and Jay Williams with Lavin would be an all-star coaching staff.

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 01:07:41 AM »
Peter R. Casey just tweeted that Jay Williams (former Duke version) is in line to possibly become an assistant as well under Lavin!!

(Peter is friendly with Jay Williams, so I trust he's got some good info with this)

I wasn't sure if that was a joke or not.  If that is actually true though, Slice, Leitao and Jay Williams with Lavin would be an all-star coaching staff.

I'm not sure if it's true or not either but I do know that Coach K has given Jay Williams chances to coach down at Duke and he's turned it down.

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 01:18:31 AM »
I just confirmed that it is true that he could be added to the staff. LOL god I'm getting to be just as bad as everyone else now. I'm confirming rumors
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 01:52:22 AM »
Ok so this makes sense for a few reasons.

1. Jay has an apartment in Tribeca also a house in NJ so he's local wouldn't need to relocate
2. He works his ass off for ESPN mostly on the U and I'm pretty sure they are seeing cut backs for that channel with the emergence of ESPN3
3. Jay loves new challenges and is obviously so passionate about college ball so coaching seems like a great fit.
4. The guy is forever linked to Duke and perhaps this breaks the stigma a bit getting out of the ACC all together and being a Big East guy
5. He's well spoken, I think he'd be a great recruiter in addition to being a teacher. I'd love for our guards to work with him.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 07:12:08 AM »
Jwill is awesome. My favorite duke player all time. Was a really nice guy too. 
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 08:15:28 AM »
Jay Williams would be amazing!!!! He has the best personality...such a geniunely nice guy. 

I can't even think straight now...way too excited.  Lavin, Leitao, Slice, J-Will!!!!  WTF?

I don't realistically expect both Slice and Leitao, but wow, J-Will.  I would think a guy like Lavin, who is such a historian of the game, would offer up the last spot to Terrence Mullin.  Thoughts?

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 08:19:14 AM »
Imagine three out of four of these guys on the staff.  What they could say to a recruit?  J-Will was the #1 overall pick!!!  Lavin has put a half-dozen players in the league.  He has won before.  Slice has had a hand in putting several players in the league.  He's won with Pitt.  Leitao has had a hand in putting several players in the league.  He's won--I believe a title?--with Uconn. 

Winners-NBA Talent Developers-Former #1 Draft pick ...compare that to the last staff.  Line them up one by one starting with Jay Williams and Coach Casey.  LOL

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 08:20:41 AM »
Jay Williams would be amazing!!!! He has the best personality...such a geniunely nice guy. 

I can't even think straight now...way too excited.  Lavin, Leitao, Slice, J-Will!!!!  WTF?

I don't realistically expect both Slice and Leitao, but wow, J-Will.  I would think a guy like Lavin, who is such a historian of the game, would offer up the last spot to Terrence Mullin.  Thoughts?

What. no Doug Gottlieb?

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »

What. no Doug Gottlieb?

For as annoying as Gottlieb can be, he defended us more than once when Katz was teeing off on us. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:50 AM »
Wasn't J-Will working for an agent's group as well a few years back?  Something on the shady edges of the business, perhaps. I forget.

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 08:35:16 AM »

What. no Doug Gottlieb?

For as annoying as Gottlieb can be, he defended us more than once when Katz was teeing off on us.

Gottlieb owns JWill and Lavin on ESPN

Tha Kid

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 08:42:45 AM »
Gottlieb is an annoying little dweeb. Of course baldi would love him. He can't hold jwill or lavin's jock.

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 08:44:38 AM »
Gottlieb is an annoying little dweeb. Of course baldi would love him. He can't hold jwill or lavin's jock.

I dont love him at all, IM just saying he destroyed both of them on thetourny shows.

Tha Kid

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 08:45:32 AM »

How far did gottlieb pick duke?  He was calling jay a homer for talkin them up.  Looks like gottlieb got owned.

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 08:55:02 AM »

How far did gottlieb pick duke?  He was calling jay a homer for talkin them up.  Looks like gottlieb got owned.

Jay Williams will be a better asst coach than he will be analyst.Get him on board asap.

Its too bad perennial douchebag Jay Bilas cant get a coaching gig

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 10:08:32 AM »
Why hasn't Leitao been looked at for any jobs, I wonder...?

I will say I like the idea of him as an assistant.  From my vantage point, I'm uncomfortable with 4 assistants we've obviously heard of - will the egos mesh (and can Lavin make them mesh if he is hired)?  Are these guys hired just because of their names or does Lavin understand how they will work together?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:21:12 AM by peter »

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 10:50:15 AM »
Why hasn't Leitao been looked at for any jobs, I wonder...?

I will say I like the idea of him as an assistant.  From my vantage point, I'm uncomfortable with 4 assistants we've obviously heard of - will the egos mesh (and can Lavin make them mesh if he is hired)?  Are these guys hired just because of their names or does Lavin understand how they will work together?

Williams doesn't have an attitude or ego problem at all.  He is probably very eager to learn the ropes.  I can't imagine any PG in the COUNTRY not wanting to play under him.  He is the prototypical liason you need to on a successful staff.

He was the #1 draft pick.  How many guys can say that?

Leitao would worry me a bit.  Slice not so much.  I think I'd actually prefer Slice to Leitao if it came down to one or the other.  I would have to think that Syl would be very likely if we add Leitao, though.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 11:12:59 AM »
Leitao may be in the running for the Hofstra job: http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2010/03/29/on-the-hardwood-this-and-that-around-college-hoops/

First, I don't know if you know the inner workings of Jay Williams.  I know I don't.  Neither of us can say if he has an ego problem.  But it's one thing to hire a collection of guys you have met over the years in coaching, and you can think "hey, Steve gets along with Ralph, and Ralph's mellowness mixes well with Walt" or something like that. 

It's another thing to hire guys that the head coach doesn't know, and can't manage.  Jay seems humble, but how will he be when the head coach needs correcting?  Does he know how to get through to the guy who is his boss, or does he get his opinions marginalized?  And when that happens, how does he react? 

Lavin's been out of coaching - and the management of two sets of egos (coaching staff + kids) for 7 years.  There's a lot to wonder about if he gets hired.  J-Will seems like an interesting and fantastic hire; even when he played after the injury, he seemed like he had a sense of what he was doing on the court, just not the wherewithal to make his body do it. 

gonzalo

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 11:17:21 AM »

Jay Williams is not one of them. He was the #2 draft pick.  ;)

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »

BTW, if Jay Williams said that he'd be lying (he was second).  http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2002.html