Your 2011//12 starting lineup

• 328 replies

redslope

Re: Your 2011//12 starting lineup
« Reply #260 on: May 21, 2011, 11:48:02 AM »
after reading all the to and fro on this potential new addition to the team, the thing that worries me is what will it do to the chemistry.  most of the original recruits all signed on in early signing period and knew who else was coming as the list grew and they wanted to join the group.

the two late signees don't upset this balance in the GG is totally different than his future team mates and will be here for 2 years only and Phil knew what he was joining and the level of the rest of his mates so no egos will be bruised.

now comes discussion of someone new from leftfield who could potentially disrupt the balance and become a disruption to the chemistry as the perceived playing time/position could be changing.  adding this additional player is like saying the future is now (i.e., the team is one player short of winning a national championship) but with this young team I don't believe that to be the case.  I believe they will grow as a team and add players as they progress.  this team is the foundation of a long term program not a quick fix.

« Reply #261 on: May 21, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »
After going without for so long I wouldn't be so quick to kiss off any legit PGs who want to play here.  We have candidates there but nobody who's done it successfully in D1.  As the saying goes you can't have too much talent.  I'm happy to let Lavin worry about the chemistry on the team.  We're going to have roster movement as we go along and we've already seen some.  Fact is that nobody knows how this is all going to work out but I would prefer that the cupboard wasn't bare as it has been when needs arise.  Until I see a solid all american at the point ala Jackson or Barkley I'll be happy to take on anyone good who wants to come here.

jr49

« Reply #262 on: May 22, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »
Hay Slope, coach Steve not worried about bruising freshmen egos. Looking long term for this team is the excuse if they stink it up. Be it transfers or juco's SJU plays in the Garden and gotta win. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #263 on: May 22, 2011, 09:13:11 PM »
C: GG
F: Jakarr Sampson
F: Moe Harkless
G: Harrison
G: Lindsay

« Reply #264 on: May 22, 2011, 09:30:47 PM »
im starting to wonder if stith may get the courtesy nod at the point to start for five minutes ala polee. I could open up shots for harrison in the beginning of the game. or allow for lindsey to start off, off the ball and get up shots as well.

I would prefer that scenerio didnt happen but i think its a possibility.

My lineup right now would be.
Lindsey
Harrison
pointer
harkless
sampson

that leaves two bigs to come off the bench in pelle and gods gift along with a do it all defender in garett who could sub for almost anyone of the starters and a third gaurd in greene.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #265 on: May 23, 2011, 12:36:49 PM »
With Polee out of the picture this looks like call to me.

« Reply #266 on: May 23, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »
With Polee out of the picture this looks like call to me.
  I also like Garrett and Pointer as a defensive tandem off the bench.

« Reply #267 on: May 23, 2011, 12:42:30 PM »
i dont think it will happen. i dont think it should happen. there isnt a need for him. u have lindsay, greene harrison, and stith. lets say ok u think stith isnt a big east point so u subtract him out the equation. u still have 3 players who can play the point not including harkless who can run it in spurts. and lets say one of them gets kicked off ( god forbid)  u still have 2  left. we did pretty good last year with malik boothe and hardy running it. to me momo is a very good talent but he can be very selfish. if it was last years team i would say yes bring him in. he could provide more scoring and another handler. this up coming year even though they will be young they shouldnt have a problem. no thanks momo i like u and everything just not for this team ( IMO !!!!)
Thank you, KOB.

But be easy with CRGreen. That cat's an encyclopedia, especially with Lavin history.
cr is the kob of UCLA!

« Reply #268 on: May 23, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »
My fault fellas. I just get passionate. I've helped coach nuri when he was in 10 and 11th grade. I've spoken with him. Never coached momo but seen him since 7th grade with his pretty mom on the side line. I'm not gonna lie to yall. There is a reason why momo left let's keep it real. He saw the writing on the wall. And in no way shape or form am I saying he sucks. Hell no he doesn't but I can't see why u would add another scoring guard to a team where I think scoring won't be a issue. My fault to cgreen

I agree with KOB.  Scoring won't be an issue.  All of our guards can score except Stith.  Jevon in 2012 will be our first real distributor type.  We aren't hurting without MoMo.  Look how well we did last year with only one dynamic scoring guard in Hardy, playing out of position at the PG spot.  People worried about Lindsey playing PG have ro realize that he has already been playing PG in JC ball and is much more of a PG than hardy ever was.  Couple that with his excellent size as well as scoring ability, and I think he does start at PG for us.  The staff will help him along as far as his PG development goes.
Agreed. Plus, w/o Momo our frosh get the minutes they need to fully develop to get ready for a big soph. That is where we're headed...let them take their lumps and progress as much as possible so by the end of this season, we get to enjoy the progress they've made.

MCNPA

« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2011, 11:55:32 AM »
Interesting and coincidental OT point about our roster.  It seems we have players at every height from 6'10 down to 6'2".  Looks like we just need Harrow for the 6'1" slot... ;)

6'10"- Pelle
6'9"- Gods Gift
6'8"- Sampson
6'7"- Harkless
6'6"- Garrett
6'5"- Pointer
6'4"- Lindsey
6'3"- Harrison
6'2"- Greene

Stith is 5'11

SJUFAN

« Reply #270 on: May 24, 2011, 10:10:55 PM »

I like this starting five although I think it may be very hard to keep our highest ranked player (Pointer) out of the starting lineup. I think Harkless isn't big enough to start at the 4 spot so that may mean Pointer could take Harrison's spot. It may work out better that way for the team as Harrison can be that spark on offense off the bench.   

MCNPA

« Reply #271 on: May 24, 2011, 11:29:15 PM »

I like this starting five although I think it may be very hard to keep our highest ranked player (Pointer) out of the starting lineup. I think Harkless isn't big enough to start at the 4 spot so that may mean Pointer could take Harrison's spot. It may work out better that way for the team as Harrison can be that spark on offense off the bench.

Harrison is the starting SG period!  Kid can shoot and score as well as distribute.  pointer's minutes won't come St the 2 for the most part.  Harkless is plenty big enough to start at the 4 considering plenty of excellent PF's were smaller.  That said, Harkless is a wing really.  Pointer is also a wing, but has a power game too.  He needs to hone his jumper and willmshare time with Sampson and Harkless. 

Poison

« Reply #272 on: May 25, 2011, 12:51:25 AM »
So now we're talking Harkless, a twig who played the 3 in high school and we're gonna ask him to guard a BE PF?

LJSA

« Reply #273 on: May 25, 2011, 05:44:52 AM »
So now we're talking Harkless, a twig who played the 3 in high school and we're gonna ask him to guard a BE PF?

That PF will also have to keep up with Harkless on a fast break.

If Pointer is really 6'5", I can see him playing PF in a smaller lineup in an effort to keep our three "big" men out of foul trouble. I also wouldn't be shocked at all if a currently unsigned PF type turns up on the roster next season.

boo3

« Reply #274 on: May 25, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »

Agree with Poison here.  Positions are defined more by who you guard on defense rather then your role on offense. Point guard being the exception for the most part.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #275 on: May 25, 2011, 08:13:33 AM »
There aren't many players on the roster who can defend a Big East PF straight up. Maybe GG. It'll be a problem, but the zone should help, along with (hopefully) pressure on the opposing ballhandler.

Poison

« Reply #276 on: May 25, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Pointer is not 6'5.

« Reply #277 on: May 25, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »
There aren't many players on the roster who can defend a Big East PF straight up. Maybe GG. It'll be a problem, but the zone should help, along with (hopefully) pressure on the opposing ballhandler.

Last year Polee (6'7 195?) defended PF's well any time he was in the lineup.
GG, Pelle, Sampson, Harkless & Pointer are as big or bigger than Polee.
Gotta got Lou C. to turn them on to pasta this summer
Molloy '71

« Reply #278 on: May 25, 2011, 10:37:06 AM »
DJ played/defended quite a bit of PF as well and was maybe our best rebounder. What's he really, 6'5" 205?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:37:39 AM by 0404 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #279 on: May 25, 2011, 12:33:24 PM »

Harrison is the starting SG period!  Kid can shoot and score as well as distribute.  pointer's minutes won't come St the 2 for the most part.  Harkless is plenty big enough to start at the 4 considering plenty of excellent PF's were smaller.  That said, Harkless is a wing really.  Pointer is also a wing, but has a power game too.  He needs to hone his jumper and willmshare time with Sampson and Harkless.

Well I agree that Harrison is our best SG, however, if Pointer doesn't start I see him primarily spelling Harrison at SG. Pointer can certainly do it as I have seen him guard point guards really well. I believe Pointer is our best option at SG behind Harrison and Greene will spell the PG spot and Harrison playing some PG as well. I don't believe stith will see too much playing time. The great thing about Pointer is he can play the 2, 3, and 4 spots, but Sampson, Harkless, and Garrett will occupy a majority of the minutes at the 3 and 4 spots.