Your 2011//12 starting lineup

• 328 replies
Re: Your 2011//12 starting lineup
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
I said he had pro potential. Also it would have been nice having another post pleyer(along with Polee) with a year under his belt. Rather than 10 freshmen

Not exactly 10 freshmen, Baldi.  2 or 3 guys are gonna be JUCO players.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:41:56 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2010, 12:42:29 PM »
I said he had pro potential. Also it would have been nice having another post pleyer(along with Polee) with a year under his belt. Rather than 10 freshmen

Not exactly 10 freshmen, Baldi.  2 or 3 guys are gonna be JUCO players.

Does JUCO experience equal Big East experience? I dont know, not  a big fan of the Juco scene

« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2010, 12:57:11 PM »
Does JUCO experience equal Big East experience? I dont know, not  a big fan of the Juco scene

I'm not much of a fan of the JUCO scene these days, either.  There are always exceptions to the rule. 

I have a hunch a guy like Lindsey can play on the Big East level.  Not to mention, I was told God's Gift can also play on the Big East level. 

« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2010, 08:57:02 PM »
PG Lindsey
SG Harless
SF Sampson
PF Polee
C Pelle

Will Polee be coming off the bench?

« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2010, 09:31:29 PM »
i like polee and pointer off the bench therefore we got some size and strength comming in..i think pointer can play the 4
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Tha Kid

« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2010, 05:54:04 PM »
Lindsey
Harrison
Harkless
Sampson
Pelle

Polee, Pointer, Garrett first off the bench...but wow I really don't care, any of those lineups sound amazing.  I also have trouble putting Polee as 6th man....but Harrison just sounds like he is torching it not sure how you're gonna sit him...
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2010, 04:43:12 AM »
Lindsey
Harrison
Harkless
Sampson
Pelle

Polee, Pointer, Garrett first off the bench...but wow I really don't care, any of those lineups sound amazing.  I also have trouble putting Polee as 6th man....but Harrison just sounds like he is torching it not sure how you're gonna sit him...

That's how I see it as well.  Perhaps Polee starting over Sampson.  I wonder if Lavin will keep the freak athletes as a wave (Polee, Garrett, Pointer).

« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »
Lindsey
Harrison
Harkless
Sampson
Pelle

IMO, I think that is going to be the starting line-up.  Back in August, I had a similiar line-up for next season.  Instead, I had Tharpe (at point guard) and Polee (at the 4 spot).

Quite frankly, you have plenty of firepower in the backcourt and defensive presence in the frontcourt.  Not to mention, slashers, length, athleticism and possible, mismatches.

It could be really fun, folk!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2010, 10:07:34 AM »
5 first-years starting?  Interesting.  I think Polee will develop during the year and offseason. With the obvious talents he has and a year of strength training, I don't see how he can't be projected to start over either the slim Sampson or the slim Harkless.

Also, here's why Harrison could start on the bench - he sounds like a gunner. He comes with a defensively indifferent rep.  A guy who can stroke from anywhere can also get hot in a hurry, so he could be firepower off the bench.  Assuming he's defensively less effective than Pointer, Garrett, Stith, others, giving him 15 minutes to play Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson gets him his points and doesn't hurt the team defensively.  If this is the defense Lavin wants to play, I think the best defensive players have to get a lot of minutes.

« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »
I think its hilarious that this thread is 7 pages long.

IN LAVIN I TRUST.

Most of these kids (except Nuri) are 17/18 now.
Their games (& bodies) will grow at different rates the next 12 months.

I think any of them (except Quincy & Meikle) including Stith might be starters.
The beauty is we lose NOTHING going 8 & 9 deep. Starters might average only 25 minutes.
But based on roster being overweighted in forwards, I expect Nuri & Harrison to play most minutes.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:42:12 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
5 first-years starting?  Interesting.  I think Polee will develop during the year and offseason. With the obvious talents he has and a year of strength training, I don't see how he can't be projected to start over either the slim Sampson or the slim Harkless.

Also, here's why Harrison could start on the bench - he sounds like a gunner. He comes with a defensively indifferent rep.  A guy who can stroke from anywhere can also get hot in a hurry, so he could be firepower off the bench.  Assuming he's defensively less effective than Pointer, Garrett, Stith, others, giving him 15 minutes to play Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson gets him his points and doesn't hurt the team defensively.  If this is the defense Lavin wants to play, I think the best defensive players have to get a lot of minutes.

I heard Sampson can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket, as well as being a defensive presence.  Harkless can shoot the ball, as well as being able to put it on the floor.

Polee probably will improve, as the season goes, but he's still raw as uncooked beef.  Heck!  I hope he improves, as it better our chances of winning this season and for the forseeable future.  Maybe, he'll be a sparkplug off the bench.

Hey!  If, he starts then that means he's shown the staff he can start.  I have no qualms about Polee, Jr. starting and Sampson coming off the bench.  To be honest, that could possibly be the scenario.  But, I believe Harkless will start as he'll probably be more ready to start.

The best defensive players will get their share of minutes, but we'll be able to do some things with the group next season (offensively and defensively) that we're not gonna be able to do so with this current group of players.

I bet Harrison starts next season, and if he doesn't start then he'll see a great deal of minutes.  You can't allow someone who can shoot and score like him to not see the floor a great deal.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »

I bet Harrison starts next season, and if he doesn't start then he'll see a great deal of minutes.  You can't allow someone who can shoot and score like him to not see the floor a great deal.
I see that. I think the minutes will be a little more distributed - maybe 10 deep.

Of course, the concern is the lack of players down low; Mikele and Pelle and Polee, if they're the only bigs, are they ready to play that role?  Who can fill in in a pinch?  Sampson?!

Anyway, I think Polee's experience will (hopefully) get him a starting nod in the paint, if that's where he fits best.  Pelle and Mikele probably need some seasoning - they're not top-10 kind of bigs, despite their skills and pub, and it's those top 10-20 guys who can make an impact in the paint as frosh.

Marillac

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2010, 02:40:35 PM »
I'm feeling pretty good about saying:  Lindsey, Harrison, Harkless and Pelle will start.  Stith over Lindsey (at least to start) is very possible as well--perhaps even Stith and Lindsey over Harrison. What really makes me think is Polee or Sampson at the four?  Polee will have the benefit of a year + with college weight lifting, Big East experience, working with the staff, etc.    Sampson, on the other hand, is slightly bigger and appears to have a much tighter handle and ability to put the ball on the floor in transition and from the perimeter.   It could be a battle there.

Just thinking that we would still have either Polee/Sampson and both Garrett and Pointer coming off the bench is just absurd. 

There is a noticeable difference between Polee and the rest of the roster right now and he was only an RSCI 90.  Imagine what some of these guys ending up in the 40's will be like?

« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2010, 03:46:05 PM »
I'm feeling pretty good about saying:  Lindsey, Harrison, Harkless and Pelle will start.  [size=14pt]Stith over Lindsey (at least to start) is very possible as well--perhaps even Stith and Lindsey over Harrison.[/size]

:2funny:  Yes, Stith has been a pleasant surprise, but he still has quite a few shortcomings on the floor.  I don't care, whether it's the start of the season or the first day of practice....  I see Lindsey being handed the basketball once he steps on campus.

Why start Stith over Harrison when it's known a guy like Harrison can shoot and score?  Granted, it's high school hoops, but when you can shoot then you can shoot.  Stith will certainly get some minutes, but I'm not sure it'll be the minutes he's currently receiving.  Especially, if we end up getting a guy like Phil Greene in the late signing period.

Maybe, Stith continues to improve his game and be even more of a surprise a season from now.  Nevertheless, I do not see Stith starting a season from now.   

Marillac

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2010, 04:00:31 PM »
I'm feeling pretty good about saying:  Lindsey, Harrison, Harkless and Pelle will start.  [size=14pt]Stith over Lindsey (at least to start) is very possible as well--perhaps even Stith and Lindsey over Harrison.[/size]

:2funny:  Yes, Stith has been a pleasant surprise, but he still has quite a few shortcomings on the floor.  I don't care, whether it's the start of the season or the first day of practice....  I see Lindsey being handed the basketball once he steps on campus.

Why start Stith over Harrison when it's known a guy like Harrison can shoot and score?  Granted, it's high school hoops, but when you can shoot then you can shoot.  Stith will certainly get some minutes, but I'm not sure it'll be the minutes he's currently receiving.  Especially, if we end up getting a guy like Phil Greene in the late signing period.

Maybe, Stith continues to improve his game and be even more of a surprise a season from now.  Nevertheless, I do not see Stith starting a season from now.   

With all due respect to Harrison and the rest of the incoming freshman, none of them have the on-court resume that Malik Stith had coming in.  The kid led his team to a state championship as a junior and was described as "unstoppable" and then led Bridgton to both the NEPSAC championship and a national championship and was said to have completely dictated the pace of the game.   Rankings aside, this this kid proved on the court as much as you can possibly prove.

He'll have two years of lifting and Big East experience.  He'll also have a year + under Dunlap and Rico.  Don't forget that Lindsey will be taking summer classes to graduate, so he'll be a late arrival to Queens.  The summer is usually a key period for the guys to gel together why the play couuntless pickup games. 

It's tough to value leadership, hardwork, and experience.  I could see Stith starting for a while. 

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2010, 04:18:20 PM »
With all due respect to Harrison and the rest of the incoming freshman, none of them have the on-court resume that Malik Stith had coming in.  The kid led his team to a state championship as a junior and was described as "unstoppable" and then led Bridgton to both the NEPSAC championship and a national championship and was said to have completely dictated the pace of the game.   Rankings aside, this this kid proved on the court as much as you can possibly prove.

He'll have two years of lifting and Big East experience.  He'll also have a year + under Dunlap and Rico.  Don't forget that Lindsey will be taking summer classes to graduate, so he'll be a late arrival to Queens.  The summer is usually a key period for the guys to gel together why the play couuntless pickup games. 

It's tough to value leadership, hardwork, and experience.  I could see Stith starting for a while.

I know what I've read about Stith coming into St. John's, but I also know what I've witnessed about Stith since he's been at St. John's.  I hope he improves, as it helps the Johnnies, if he continue to take his game up a notch.  I like Stith, as I think he can turn out to be a solid player before it's all said and done.  But, I think you're also shortchanging some of the newcomers.

To say, Harrison doesn't have the resume' that Malik Stith had coming into St. John's tells me that you're not paying attention or romanticizing again.  Granted, Lindsey has summer courses to take....  He'll be in Queens in August or September.  I bet he gets a workout regiment from the program that he has to adhere to, if he isn't in Queens in the summer.  Besides, if he doesn't have much of a load (I'm not sure how many courses he has to take this summer) then he may be able to take those courses online and be in Queens before August or September.  Regardless, I think he'll take over the reigns at the PG position whenever he ends up on campus.

Not to mention, Lindsey and Harrison may also exude leadership, hardwork and experience (Lindsey will have collegiate experience).  Quite frankly, we're not sure whether Stith is a leader or not.  I've yet to see it.  Once again, experience only means something when you have some talent to go along with it.  Granted, I'm not saying Stith isn't talented.  Just letting you know that experience is overrated when that is all you can go on.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:26:06 PM by mjdinkins »

Marillac

« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2010, 06:46:01 PM »

I know what I've read about Stith coming into St. John's, but I also know what I've witnessed about Stith since he's been at St. John's.  I hope he improves, as it helps the Johnnies, if he continue to take his game up a notch.  I like Stith, as I think he can turn out to be a solid player before it's all said and done.  But, I think you're also shortchanging some of the newcomers.

To say, Harrison doesn't have the resume' that Malik Stith had coming into St. John's tells me that you're not paying attention or romanticizing again.  Granted, Lindsey has summer courses to take....  He'll be in Queens in August or September.  I bet he gets a workout regiment from the program that he has to adhere to, if he isn't in Queens in the summer.  Besides, if he doesn't have much of a load (I'm not sure how many courses he has to take this summer) then he may be able to take those courses online and be in Queens before August or September.  Regardless, I think he'll take over the reigns at the PG position whenever he ends up on campus.

Not to mention, Lindsey and Harrison may also exude leadership, hardwork and experience (Lindsey will have collegiate experience).  Quite frankly, we're not sure whether Stith is a leader or not.  I've yet to see it.  Once again, experience only means something when you have some talent to go along with it.  Granted, I'm not saying Stith isn't talented.  Just letting you know that experience is overrated when that is all you can go on.

When I was referring to resumes, it was about wins and championships, not rankings or stats.  All you can ask from a basketball player is to beat the team in front of you.  Malik did that to win a state championship in North Carolina, then he won the hardest conference in the country, the NEPSAC, and added a national prep title to that.  I don't think that should be discounted.  The kid has what it takes to get it done, he's proven that.  Lavin said he trains like a Navy seal.  He worked his way form 11th on the depth chart to pretty much being in the top six.  Lavin said he should probably seeks a fresh start somewhere eles, and Stith took that challenge head on.  He's the last kid I'm bettting against.

The best thing about freshmen is that they become soph's.  I'm not expecting too much the first year.  The jump from frosh to soph is usually the biggest jump a player makes in his career. 

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
When I was referring to resumes, it was about wins and championships, not rankings or stats.  All you can ask from a basketball player is to beat the team in front of you.  Malik did that to win a state championship in North Carolina, then he won the hardest conference in the country, the NEPSAC, and added a national prep title to that.  I don't think that should be discounted.  The kid has what it takes to get it done, he's proven that.  Lavin said he trains like a Navy seal.  He worked his way form 11th on the depth chart to pretty much being in the top six.  Lavin said he should probably seeks a fresh start somewhere eles, and Stith took that challenge head on.  He's the last kid I'm bettting against.

The best thing about freshmen is that they become soph's.  I'm not expecting too much the first year.  The jump from frosh to soph is usually the biggest jump a player makes in his career. 

I know what you were referring to, and I still believe Harrison's resume' will be better coming in.  It's opinionted to say he played in the "hardest conference in the country."  Yes, it's a solid conference, but I wouldn't go that far.

To say, he had to come from 11th on the depth chart is actually a stretch, considering he's the only guy who is capable of consistently handling the ball other than Boothe.  So, he was gonna get time by default anyhow.  Not to mention, how hard is it to beat out Boothe?   

He'll get time next season, but he'll be getting it, as a reserve.  If, the Johnnies end up with a guy like Phil Greene in the spring then Stith's competition gets that much tougher.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:36:05 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2010, 09:08:59 PM »
I really think who starts next year will be irrelevant.  The Fab 7, Polee and Stith should all see decent minutes.  My starting lineup would be....

1) Lindsey (He's the best option at point and gives us a scoring PG for the first time since Hatten!!)
2) Harrison (He can shoot us to a big lead by the first or second TV timeout if he's hot.)
3) Pointer (I want a guy in the starting lineup that will D up the other teams best perimeter player and be in their head all night.  Sir Dom...that's you!!)
4) Harkless (Best all around player we have coming in, IMO.  Plus I value some experience off the bench, which is why I don't have Polee here)
5) Pelle (Shot blocker and can run the floor.  Best option at 5)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:12:42 PM by upstate32 »

« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2010, 11:00:29 PM »

I heard Sampson can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket, as well as being a defensive presence.  Harkless can shoot the ball, as well as being able to put it on the floor.

Polee probably will improve, as the season goes, but he's still raw as uncooked beef.  Heck!  I hope he improves, as it better our chances of winning this season and for the forseeable future.  Maybe, he'll be a sparkplug off the bench.

Hey!  If, he starts then that means he's shown the staff he can start.  I have no qualms about Polee, Jr. starting and Sampson coming off the bench.  To be honest, that could possibly be the scenario.  But, I believe Harkless will start as he'll probably be more ready to start.

The best defensive players will get their share of minutes, but we'll be able to do some things with the group next season (offensively and defensively) that we're not gonna be able to do so with this current group of players.