• 328 replies
Re: Your 2011//12 starting lineup
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2011, 12:48:23 AM »
PG________________
SG Sylven Landesberg
SF Omari Lawrence
PF Ron Roberts
C_________________

I need more time to find the other 2. But who ya got?

This is great

« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2011, 04:01:06 AM »
I think Stith will transfer end of season. He's not a Lavin guy. He's not a Big East Talent unfortunately. He is a low/mid major player at best.

TONYD3

« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2011, 11:00:58 PM »
Stith is not transferring unless he is asked to in my opinion. Most of us don't think he is good enough but he probably believes in himself. I would think he sees next year as a big opportunity, he is the only guard coming back. He will most likely be team captain and will given a chance to start as our most experienced player. I think he might eventually transfer but not until next December if (when) he is buried on the bench. I think Lavin would want him back because he is a hard worker.

« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2011, 11:13:49 PM »
Stith is not transferring unless he is asked to in my opinion. Most of us don't think he is good enough but he probably believes in himself. I would think he sees next year as a big opportunity, he is the only guard coming back. He will most likely be team captain and will given a chance to start as our most experienced player. I think he might eventually transfer but not until next December if (when) he is buried on the bench. I think Lavin would want him back because he is a hard worker.

I agree Tony. Lavin already asked him to transfer and he tolfd him to F himself. He plays hard and isnt afraid, unfortunately the seniors are

« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2011, 11:51:12 AM »
Will Pointer start? Is he a 2,3 or 4?

kjd01067

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
Will Pointer start? Is he a 2,3 or 4?

It is so hard to tell.  I think Lavin will utilize multiple starting line-ups and guys will be playing multiple positions.  Every player coming in next year can play more than one position and the possible arrangements are endless.  It is going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2011, 10:35:17 AM »
BUMP.  Let's talk about next year.

Poison

« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2011, 10:38:52 AM »
Hard to tell, but maybe:

1: Lindsey
2: Harkless
3: Pointer
4: Sampson
5: Pelle

Need size here. Maybe Polee gets stronger. God I hope so. Do we think Lavin can add more than one big man for next year. Even if we do, we're still light in the middle.

« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2011, 12:21:09 PM »
1. lindsey
2. Harrison
3. Harkless
4. Polee
5. Sampson

keeps the size on the bench like this year. Pelle, Pointer, Garrett, green off the bench seems pretty solid
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »
1. Lindsey
2. Harrison
3. Pointer
4. Harkless
5. Sampson

I think you'll see Pelle starting some games against bigger teams but for the most part, I think Pelle will be this years Burrell.  Coming off the bench but playing starters minutes.

Poison

« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2011, 01:13:24 PM »
Even if we start Pelle, there still isn't enough size. P

« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
I can see him creating 2 units and doing wholesale line shifts with this group.

Lindsey / Greene / Stith
Harkless / Harrison
Polee / Pointer / Garrett
Sampson / Meikle
Pelle / Achiuwa

Harrison off the bench for scoring punch...we definitely need some beef which is why Meikle's schollie was so surprising.  Hopefully he can play.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »
Lindsey, pointer, harkless, polee, sampson
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »
I have no idea what Phil Greene can do in a whole game - or even a good 5 minute highlight clip! For all we know, he's good enough to handle the point guard position.

Here's my early guess. I think Stith will get some time, but he has to become a facilitator of some kind. I could see him starting. A lot depends on exactly what kind of chuckers Lindsey and Harrison are with Big East-level talent; I'm assuming Pointer or Garrett will play a role that doesn't involve a lot of shooting and will involve defense and rebounding from the wing, and that either Polee or Sampson will come heavier than they currently are.

Lindsey
Harrison
Pointer/ garrett
Polee
Sampson
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:15:27 AM by peter »

Poison

« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2011, 11:46:32 AM »
If Stith is starting we are in big trouble.

Marillac

« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »
Lindsey, pointer, harkless, polee, sampson

I don't think that is enough ball-handling ability.  Pointer has a shaky handle and Nuri doesn't have a pure point's handle and a pretty high dribble.  Harkless has a pretty decent handle and I can see him helping out from the SF position, but I think we'll need two primary ball-handlers on the court at all times:  Harrison, Nuri, Stith, and Greene. 

I think Harrison will be very difficult to keep off the floor. 

Nuri
Harrison
Harkless
Polee
Sampson/Pelle

Second wave in will be the defensive nightmare rotation with Stith/Greene, Pointer, and Garrett.

Marillac

« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2011, 04:11:57 PM »
Picking the starting SF is so difficult with this group.  You have guys with so much talent and unique skillsets that they would be impossible to keep off the floor on just about any other team.  I think Harkless gets the nod because he is so unbelievably skilled and can almost literally do everything.  As a team, shooting could be a weakness, and he is the best option at SF for us there. 

boo3

« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »
  How's garret's outside shot.  From what i've seen its decent.  He's silky smooth and an above average passer.  Could he develop into a 2 guard.  Maybe bring a harrison off the bench for instant offense?

« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2011, 07:54:59 PM »
  How's garret's outside shot.  From what i've seen its decent.  He's silky smooth and an above average passer.  Could he develop into a 2 guard.  Maybe bring a harrison off the bench for instant offense?

Garrett's outside shot is still a bit inconsistent.   He is a fairly smooth and I've liked the way he passes the ball the couple of times I've watched him play on ESPN.  I don't see him starting, but being an integral part at some point next season or later in his career at St. John's.

Marillac

« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2011, 05:06:56 AM »

Garrett's outside shot is still a bit inconsistent.   He is a fairly smooth and I've liked the way he passes the ball the couple of times I've watched him play on ESPN.  I don't see him starting, but being an integral part at some point next season or later in his career at St. John's.

I like Garret's outside shot, although it is a bit slow.  The form looks pretty decent.   I think he'll be a very able shooter for us by his second year.  I see him as a SG.  Baseball guys usually fair better in the long run with sharpening skills.  I worry that he could struggle to find PT with Harkless and Pointer, but I wouldn't be shocked if he earned  starting spot either.  He's ultra athletic--more than Harkless IMO, and he will get after it on defense.  He definitely fits Lavin's system to a T.  I worry that Lindsey might not find so much time on the floor unless he commits himself to the defensive end, because of guys like Garrett, Pointer, and Greene who are all ready to "get lost in the defense" like Lavin preaches.  Also with Greene, he's a shooter and Lindsey isn't.  I'm very impressed with what I've seen on Greene.  He looks like he can do it all, and he probably played a more competitive schedule this past year than Nuri.  I think his ceiling is much higher.