Addressing the Steve Lavin Negatives

• 14 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Addressing the Steve Lavin Negatives
« on: April 01, 2010, 03:31:25 PM »
...But for a team like St. John's, the incoming coach is not going to be the perfect winning machine a school like Arizona or Kentucky might hire. Any coach, whether high-major or mid-major, is going to come with some concerns - or they would be enjoying pay raises and building a legacy at one school. Lavin's narrative comes with questions about his ability to develop the players he brought in (many of whom went on to the NBA), his ability to handle criticism, and his coaching acumen. Let's take a look at some of the tales that have dogged Lavin over the years....

Ream More! Calm Before the Storm: Addressing the Steve Lavin negatives

Poison

Re: Addressing the Steve Lavin Negatives
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »
When is Arizona going to hire their perfect winning machine?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:28:08 PM »
Ha! Well, Sean Miller certainly went to Arizona with a lot of wins under his belt; he was a coach who was coveted in a great number of spots and had recruited high-major quality players (if not All-American quality) and competed against some of the country's best.

sjd8886

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:40:45 PM »
you really cant knock sean miller...maybe if he doesnt win in another year or two, but right now the guy is a winner

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »
Something here that you pointed out was pick a style and stick with it. We know Boheim with the matchup zone and Pitino with the full court press. Norm Roberts promised an uptempo team that never came for 6 years. I wonder what Lavin's signature will be? However I do like that he mentioned that he will adjust to his opponents and league
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 08:22:36 PM »
Norm Roberts promised an uptempo team that never came for 6 years.

Exactly, Norm said he now had the bodies yet did NOTHING!

Feels great to have a new coach. It feels like when you stick with a gf just because she is there and it what you know then decide to break up and now you are banging the hot chick that everyone wants! hahaahah

sjd8886

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:57:08 PM »
yea except our coaching situation was like, you have a really sweet gf and shes really trying to make you happy, yet you arent, and you really wanna break up with her and all your friends and family think you should, but shes just sooooooooooo nice...but finally you realize your not happy and you break it off, even though shes so damn sweet you can barely get out the words...then you have your rich friend ask out the head cheerleader for you but she says no and everyone finds out but u deny u ever had him ask her out for u, then u lower your standards and ask out a girl whos kinda hot and has alot of sex appeal but u know is a bad gf, but ur sure will date u, but even she shoots u down, and then u hear the hot girl who hasnt dated in a while bc she got dumped a while back and hasnt been over it is interested in you so u ask her out for dinner and everything goes great so u ask her to be ur gf and she says yes

sjd8886

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 08:57:42 PM »
wow, reading that back, thats probably my most entertaining rant on this site...go me

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 09:01:11 PM »
Good job outta you.

Baldi would be the fat chick always at the kegger having fun and drunk and always wants to go home with anyone but the dudes say no unless they are HAMMERED beyond and wake up the next day saying they will never tell anyone! hahhahaha

Poison

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 09:51:24 PM »
Ha! Well, Sean Miller certainly went to Arizona with a lot of wins under his belt; he was a coach who was coveted in a great number of spots and had recruited high-major quality players (if not All-American quality) and competed against some of the country's best.

You lose with that kind of talent, you have something to prove in 10-11. The Pac 10 weak, and he couldn't make the NIT.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 12:09:22 AM »
Good job outta you.

Baldi would be the fat chick always at the kegger having fun and drunk and always wants to go home with anyone but the dudes say no unless they are HAMMERED beyond and wake up the next day saying they will never tell anyone! hahhahaha

I was holding back back, but please stop posting. You bring zero to the board and follow me around like a little fierce person  got. You can post on bigeaetboards if you like

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:17:39 AM »
follow me around like a little fierce person

not sure what this means but i am excited we are actually a BE program again. I never settled for a second tier program like you approved of but so excited for the future!

sjd8886

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 01:30:26 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ari-shapiro/dear-st-johns-enjoy-steve_b_521280.html

wow...this guy actually makes fun of the way people supposedly give lavin a pass by saying ucla fans expected a title and thats why hes hated there, then goes on to say he should have won one easy...what? lol...ok so to repeat he said, "lavin sucks and everyone thinks we are too hard on him bc we expect john wooden success, but seriously, he should have won a title here easy"...what whiny fans ucla has...i cant get over this...duke, unc, kentucky, kansas, syracuse...they have pulled in top recruiting classes year after year (speaking in general terms of the word "top") and they dont win titles all the time...this year proves how hard it is...kentucky has possibly 5 kids going pro this year and they got booted...kansas had the most talented and experienced team in the field, and they got booted...cuse had a extremely talented team, booted...but ucla fans think they should win a title every year...get real...so far the only negatives ive heard about lavin is bs...the fact is, consistent success is hard to come by, and coaches that get their teams to sweet 16s and ncaa tournaments almost every year are great...its just THAT hard to win a title...mike krzyzewski went to the final four 4 times before he finally won a title...total, not counting this year, with all the talent this guy gets on a yearly basis, hes been to the final four 10 times and out of those 10 won 3 titles...and hes one of the best that ever coached...lavin didnt win one in 7 years...ok, so rip him mercilessly why dont u...jackasses...i say if ucla fans want to knock lavin, or us for hiring him, knock urselves out

sjd8886

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:31:25 AM »
ps...why is my karma keep going down...its down from like 17 a few days ago to 10 now...am i pissing someone off? lol

sjd8886

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 01:08:39 AM »
straying from negatives, check this out

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/04/04/2010-04-04_much_love_for_lavin.html

"I heard that he was coming back and I thought 'wow,'" Watson said. "He could really have an impact. The kids are going to love playing for him. They're going to trust him. And once they have your trust, the sky is the limit. They'll run through walls. It's going to be fun to watch."

"He's a great communicator. Parents will love him. Kids will trust him," Watson said. "As a recruiter he can be compared to none. This guy got Baron Davis and myself to commit five minutes apart from each other - a pair of point guards in the same class. ... He sold us on unity

"They got close enough that he was going to ask the coach to be a groomsman at his wedding - he couldn't though, because he has four brothers."