BREAKING NEWS- Mike Dunlap will join Steve Lavin at St. John's (Oops)

• 28 replies
BREAKING NEWS- Mike Dunlap will become Steve Lavin's second hire for the St. John's Basketball staff.

Earlier in the week JohnnyJungle.com broke the news that Tony Chiles would be named Lavin's first hire as assistant coach for the St. John's basketball team. Chiles who is known to have strong recruiting ties in New York topped with a ton of coaching experience made him an exceptional choice as a first hire.

The media has played up the AAU recruiting scene in New York to be mafia-esque needing an inside man to get the job done. However no matter what connections a coach may have if you're not winning ball games you're not going to be able to acquire talent. This is why an X and O tactician is needed on the staff and Mike Dunlap is certainly a master at that. Continue Reading
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:04:01 PM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: BREAKING NEWS- Mike Dunlap will join Steve Lavin at St. John's
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:56:49 AM »
Welcome, well needed

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:20:33 AM »
lavin on a roll.  this is getting exciting!

thanks for the scoop.

there's a reason you get so many hits.

xhoops

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 03:08:58 AM »
This is so great !!!      It should really get the half court offense to finally start making sense....no more  lack of any structure to it. Great work DAVE.........JJ is going to have a great year too !

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:28:48 AM »
Good hire for you guys. As a duck fan though, I was extremely underwhelmed by Dunlap's presence on our team. He was supposed to basically take control of this team. Ernie Kent gave him the green light to do what he needed to get this team conditioned, restructure our offense, and improve the defense, but I saw NOTHING.

With that being said, I don't think his tenure under a crappy coach for a couple years is enough to negate his past success. Although I'm still not sold on Dunlap, I think this is a pretty sweet hire for you guys.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:31:13 AM by UOducksTK1 »
www.ducksattack.com
Oregon Ducks Website
Co Founder - UOducksTK1

kjd01067

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:33:13 AM »
I like this hire a lot.  We need structure and I think Dunlap will bring it.  I'm sure the guys on the team will hate him at first but they will be loving him when we start winning.  Nice job breaking the news Dave.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:47:52 AM »

With that being said, I don't think his tenure under a crappy coach for a couple years is enough to negate his past success. Although I'm still not sold on Dunlap, I think this is a pretty sweet hire for you guys.
Wasn't he only there for one year?  Maybe he didn't have enough time to turn things around.  But I noticed too, Oregon looked much the same (obviously a little better with the grown-up former freshmen).

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:05:19 AM »
This is great news. I am looking forward to see how this all pans out.

Good job Dave.

gonzalo

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:29:39 AM »

Wasn't he only there for one year?  Maybe he didn't have enough time to turn things around.  But I noticed too, Oregon looked much the same (obviously a little better with the grown-up former freshmen).

Oregon 2008-09 season: 8-23.
Oregon 2009-10 season: 16-16.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 11:37:20 AM »
There is only one person who can turn water into wine. Oregon was pretty bad.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 02:27:20 PM »
Working on finances and paperwork today. I'd expect announcement today or tomorrow.

Wods317

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »
Get it done Steve, the staff is coming togehter nicely. We just need to add a few more pieces and then its time to hit that 2011 recruiting trial running.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 05:24:47 PM »
St. John's close to key hire?

3:46 PM ET

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors#1821

When we wrote about St. John's search for assistants, we mentioned that incoming coach Steve Lavin would need a great Xs and Os coach (which he was missing at UCLA). Well, Lavin may have found that coach.

John Hunt of the Oregonian is reporting UO associate head coach Mike Dunlap has interviewed for a spot on the Johnnies bench and is close to joining Lavin's staff. This would be a phenomenal hire for Lavin and Co.; not only is Dunlap a brilliant tactician but he has ties to the NJ area and was the inventor of UO's pressure defense that was implemented this past season.

Dunlap hasn't officially joined Lavin's staff yet; they are still in talks and nothing is finalized. But it would appear the coach could soon be joining his third coaching staff in three years.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 05:33:10 PM »

When we wrote about St. John's search for assistants, we mentioned that incoming coach Steve Lavin would need a great Xs and Os coach (which he was missing at UCLA). Well, Lavin may have found that coach.

John Hunt of the Oregonian is reporting UO associate head coach Mike Dunlap has interviewed for a spot on the Johnnies bench and is close to joining Lavin's staff. This would be a phenomenal hire for Lavin and Co.; not only is Dunlap a brilliant tactician but he has ties to the NJ area and was the inventor of UO's pressure defense that was implemented this past season.

Dunlap hasn't officially joined Lavin's staff yet; they are still in talks and nothing is finalized. But it would appear the coach could soon be joining his third coaching staff in three years.

Pressure defense?  That is exactly what we need around here. 

xhoops

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 07:46:11 PM »

Pressure defense?  That is exactly what we need around here.
Indeed.......and how about a half- court offense that puts pressure on the other team in its own right........a "PRESSURE O"

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »
Dave - any recent information on the Dunlap situation?

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 09:35:20 PM »
I've been swamped at work all day so I have nothing new yet. My Johnny Jungle hours are 12:00 AM to 4:00 AM lol so I'll check some things out very soon.

I will just note that I've been reading elsewhere and its funny how many people take others word for gospel when they've been wrong in the past before. I've never been off/wrong on anything I've reported yet people are so quick to dismiss things I say. Oh well.

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 10:38:03 AM »
I've been swamped at work all day so I have nothing new yet. My Johnny Jungle hours are 12:00 AM to 4:00 AM lol so I'll check some things out very soon.

I will just note that I've been reading elsewhere and its funny how many people take others word for gospel when they've been wrong in the past before. I've never been off/wrong on anything I've reported yet people are so quick to dismiss things I say. Oh well.
Nothing fails like success. It goes with the territory. Look at it this way - it means you've arrived.

sjd8886

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »
http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/sports/24671150-41/dunlap-coach-john-oregon-kilkenny.csp

dave, how much should we read into these quotes...do you know anything new?

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 03:04:33 PM »
That puts a damper on things at least for the time being. I wonder how much time coach Lavin will give him to make up his mind.
The Big East needs a strong SJU program!