Vets react to Lavin.......

• 2 replies
Vets react to Lavin.......
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:03:26 PM »
April 9, 2010
Deborah N. Harris
RedStormReport.com

Though many are caught up in the great possibilities of what new head coach Steve Lavin will be doing with the nine scholarships on the squad left vacant by the graduation of the 2010-11 senior class, Lavin has to first inspire the veteran-stacked squad during the aforementioned season.

"I like the fact that we've got nine seniors -- upperclassmen experience, who have been through the BIG EAST challenges, understand how rough [and] how rugged this conference is," said Lavin. "Because that's an asset for me in my first year as head coach (at St. John's) to have that many experienced players."

"The first thing, at this early stage, is homework. I have my homework assignments, I'm doing my crash course," said Lavin to RedStormReport.com.

"His resume is a very good and I hear he is a very humble person, well-respected," said junior guard Dwight Hardy. "It's going to be a joy to play for him next year."

"His history speaks for itself, so I'm excited about that," said junior swingman Paris Horne, who shook his head 'no' when asked if he knew about Lavin before his appointment. "It seems like coach is a nice guy, a family type guy."

"Everything seems cool, so we'll see when the first practice starts to see how he is," said Horne, jokingly, with a smile.

"I'm excited, a little nervous, anxious," said Justin Burrell. "Hopefully, I definitely see us in the NCAA tournament and going a long way in."

Lavin seems ready and willing to put in the work to have a more productive season on the hardwood in the 2010-11 year. He has even said that he is considering adapting any effective elements under the Norm Roberts Era into the new system.

"As opposed to doing something that's a square peg and a round hole that's going to be counterproductive, diminishing returns," added Lavin. "We want to win games."

Lavin mentioned an unofficial meeting that he had with the players. Horne said that Lavin gave the group his number and that he left his door open to them.

"He came in with a great spirit and talked to the guys," said Horne. "He wants to win -- you can tell that."

"I'm happy we got somebody in here that's going to push us to the next level," said Horne.

"It's beneficial . . . it's another opportunity," said Burrell about the upside of a new coach, staff and senior-saturated squad. "Everybody gets a clean slate, everybody can work hard. [They] can change the perception of themselves to the point where they can be successful. It's just a great opportunity to start over."

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1072740

Tha Kid

Re: Vets react to Lavin.......
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 02:20:42 PM »
"It't just a great opportunity to start over."

Read:  Norm Roberts had doghouses, and your play didn't help you out of it.

I am very happy for the players, especially Justin, Sean, Dele, and Dwight.  I feel like those 4 were jerked around the most, misused, or not taught properly.  Looking fwd to at least a few of these guys coming into their own next year.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

Re: Vets react to Lavin.......
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »
"It't just a great opportunity to start over."

Read:  Norm Roberts had doghouses, and your play didn't help you out of it.

I am very happy for the players, especially Justin, Sean, Dele, and Dwight.  I feel like those 4 were jerked around the most, misused, or not taught properly.  Looking fwd to at least a few of these guys coming into their own next year.

None of them were taught properly.

Not even Kennedy, who was effective by playing street ball. When Norm kept saying after a loss "we're going to back and work" I wonder what that meant to him.

Were they going to give the ball to DJ, and hope he'd score? Is that what work is?

Starting our 5 best players will make us a better team right away.