Most improved players for 2010-2011

• 20 replies

Marillac

Most improved players for 2010-2011
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:18:25 PM »
My predictions are predicated on the assumption that we land Dunlap.

I think Boothe will be the M.I.P on the squad next year.  The PG is an extension of the staff and nobody suffered more from the lack of coaching than Boothe. I don't expect him to be a world beater, but I am expected a solid 20-25 minutes.  I think our secondary transition will be much improved under the new staff.  I also think Rico and Dunlap will work wonders with training and new drills to help his decision-making and getting to the basket.  I still pray that we land a stud JUCO or HS point guard.

DJ is my next pick to improve.  He'll benefit so much with the new staff. His NBA stock just got shocked back to life.  He's such a hard worker that you know he will take full advantage of the expertise of the new staff.  He'll be the focal point of our team next year, but he definitely has areas he really needs to improve in.  I was very pleased with his outside shooting this year.  38% is fantastic and if he can bring that up a bit or just remain the same with more attempts, that will help his NBA stock.

Justin will be a new man next year.  As xhoops pointed out every day this past season, Justin was essentially ignored.  That will not be so.  A team can't win without establishing the post.  He is going to be hit with so many new drills and there will be a focus on skill development like he has never seen. 

Marillac

Re: Most improved players for 2010-2011
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:23:07 PM »
I do worry that these guys have developed too many bad habits to fix in such a short period of time.  None of them have any idea about how to handle screen/picks on offense or defense.  As a team they are awful at attacking the basket.  Only a few of them ever utilize a jump-stop. The boxing out on defense has been atrocious for years.  The footwork of the whole team is as poor as it comes.  There has also never been any real infrastructure in the breaks either. 

The first month of the preseason is going to be rough on everyone, but I think we will come out as a different team.  We'll be tougher and more place more emphasis on the details.  Players won't be allowed to shoot without setting their feet and Sean Evans and JB2 will not be allowed to act like guards--or even dribble more than twice (fingers crossed).

What we do have is a 6'6 do-everythign SF, three kids that can shoot around 40T% from three (HUGE), and a  big man that can score with his back to the basket and and stretch a defense with a 12 footer.  We've got a big center that can block shots with the best of them.  A point that is tough as nails and has a fantastic handle.  We've also got a PF, JB2, that can really work the baseline and rebound the ball.

We are just one stud guard away!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:29:59 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:45:57 PM »
manbearpig thinks dwight hardy will avg 28+ min 17 ppg and 3pt% of around 43%. he will learn how to make his own shot and be the crowd favorite

that is the manbearpig prediction

Wods317

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:02:03 PM »
I think the most improved players will be Coker and Burrell. I think both guys have the size and the talent to be very productive players but neither recieved enough shots or playin time under Norm. I know we have been waiting for both especially JB to breakout the last two years but for my money I think they both play way better next year. I think Burrell can be a 15 pt and 8 rebound guy if used correctly and Coker can be a good defensive center while chipping in 8 pts and 5 rebounds.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »
Hilton.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »
I think Brownlee will benefit greatly if we start playing more up-tempo, so I will say Brownlee.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:28:11 PM »
manbearpig thinks dwight hardy will avg 28+ min 17 ppg and 3pt% of around 43%. he will learn how to make his own shot and be the crowd favorite

I agree that he will shoot about 43% from three, but that is about all.  He is fantastic and very underrated at getting to the basket.  Hardy is just a flatout scorer.  His defense really needs to improve to get bigger minute.  He'll be crucial to our success, but I don't think he'll average more than 12-13 a game, because Paris, Quincy, and especially Omari will be stealing his minutes. 

I think the most improved players will be Coker and Burrell.

I agree with you on Coker.  I wonder it is too late for him, but I think he coudl be a very solid 20 mpg player with the new staff.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 10:31:44 PM »
Hilton.

He shot really well from three this year, but he just isn't a big enough threat off the bounce.  In the half court he is just a feet-set jump shooter or a guy that gets the ball from one playmaker to another.  There are a ton of guys to split the 40 minutes available from the two spot.   

I love what he gives us off the set shot and I like his D--although I do think it was down somewhat last year. 

We really do have a bunch of good three point shooters on the roster. 

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 11:05:40 PM »

I agree that he will shoot about 43% from three, but that is about all.  He is fantastic and very underrated at getting to the basket.  Hardy is just a flatout scorer.  His defense really needs to improve to get bigger minute.  He'll be crucial to our success, but I don't think he'll average more than 12-13 a game, because Paris, Quincy, and especially Omari will be stealing his minutes. 

I agree with you on Coker.  I wonder it is too late for him, but I think he coudl be a very solid 20 mpg player with the new staff.

I think Coker should redshirt

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 12:58:50 AM »

????????????????? We are going to need him.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 06:50:20 AM »

Going to need him more the next year and he would get more time

Poison

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 08:07:19 AM »
Burrell. Hopefully, instead of averaging 4 touches per game, he'll get the shots that Evans has been carelessly throwing up for 3 years.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 10:03:07 AM »

Thats a very interesting suggestion.
Depending on which bigs verbal over summer from 2011 class, Coker as the
starting 5 in 2011 sounds great for 1 year-splitting time with a Frosh in training.

We've often said that saving 1-2 schollys (+1 or 2 JUCO's) is the way
to balance the uneven classes.

Redshirting Coker saves a scholly for 2012.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:04:33 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 12:27:59 PM »

We could just get a JUCO big for 2011.  We really need Coker.  The kid flatout changes the game defensively when he's in there.  He's also pretty darn efficient offensively and works well with JB1 down low.  There is nobody else on our roster that  intimidates penetrating players.  He had stetches last year where he ;ooked like teh best defensive big I had seen in the country!  I think it was Norm's biggest blunder not playing him more last year.  I think we need to get him 20 mpg.

Evans will be a bench guy for sure. There still are some pretty impressive JUCO bigs available for 2010.

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »
Norm like any coach played the guys he was most comfortable with. He liked Evans more then Burrell for some reason. He rarely played Coker. These moves werent popular on message boards. But we were not at every practice.
All of the players have a clean slate. 9 are seniors- I expect they all want to be getting paid to play some day. (If Geno can  make it why cant they?) I think (hope) we have many MIPS and have one of the most improved teams in the country.

sjd8886

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 02:53:27 AM »
you gotta go with the possibility of coker being most improved almost every year just bc of what he COULD bring to the game if he played a good chunk of the game and somehow matured and polished up his game offensively

Poison

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »
you gotta go with the possibility of coker being most improved almost every year just bc of what he COULD bring to the game if he played a good chunk of the game and somehow matured and polished up his game offensively

I don't have a problem with Coker not contributing much offense. He'd be great for us if he could box out, rebound, block shots and do it without fouling.

The problem with him is that he's learned so little under Roberts, so his senior year is really like his second one.

Lavin should develop the offensive games of the guys who were brought here to score. Burrell and Hardy not only need to start, but they should be the 1st and 2nd options on offense.

That should be our high/low. If Coker can kick it out, throw outlet passes, and basically help move the ball around, Lavin will have taught him something, and he'll stay on the floor.

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 10:48:06 AM »
I think Quincy will blow up if he gets solid minutes. Quincy has a solid game if hes not the point guard out there. All though if malik doesn't succeed i wouldn't mind putting him there. When i look at Quincy i see another Dominic Jones, he has athleticism and hes strong as hell, not to mention he has really good form on his jumper
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »
My predictions are predicated on the assumption that we land Dunlap.

I think Boothe will be the M.I.P on the squad next year.

I expect MB to have a good year next year - he came on at year's end this past year, coincidental to the team's success. Whether that was the light bulb going on or his groin was finally feeling healthy, who knows. So I would have expected him to have a good year next year regardless, and would hope he gets at least some credit for any improvement, if any, not just staff. That being said, all of the players should benefit if "Lavs" (my not at all ghey nickname for Lavin) puts in place a system that features their talents, as opposed to one that tries to cram their talents into an ill conceived preconceived system.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »
I think Quincy will blow up if he gets solid minutes. Quincy has a solid game if hes not the point guard out there. All though if malik doesn't succeed i wouldn't mind putting him there. When i look at Quincy i see another Dominic Jones, he has athleticism and hes strong as hell, not to mention he has really good form on his jumper

I like QR's game a lot, but I think he gets no burn next year. Hopefully he stays around, a 2011 back court of Roberts and Lawrence could be formidable.