Last Ditch Effort to Land Top Recruit[NY post]

• 39 replies
Last Ditch Effort to Land Top Recruit[NY post]
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:07:44 PM »
not sure if this was posted...dont se it so here it is....

The game has changed at St. John’s. No recruit is considered out of the Red Storm’s reach. No national power is not worth butting heads with.

St. John’s probably is too late to the game to get former Bishop Loughlin guard Doron Lamb, now a star at national power Oak Hill Academy in Virginia, but new coach Steve Lavin and lead recruiter Tony Chiles are taking their best shot, sources told The Post.

Lamb was supposed to announce his college decision on April 17 at the Jordan Brand Classic in the Garden. But now Lamb might delay that decision, giving St. John’s a chance to make a pitch, perhaps as soon as Friday.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/from_john_making_last_ditch_effort_c0EgRuatHwm35b3WLZ1DHO#ixzz0l08r9ULN
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:13:01 PM by jumpinjohnny »

kjd01067

Re: Last Ditch Effort to Land Top Recruit[NY post]
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:19:09 PM »
Hopefully its not too late.  Landing Lamb would be awesome.

Wods317

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:10:56 PM »
What kind of player is Lamb, I know hes a very highly rated SG but what type of player is he because I have never seen him. Is he a lights out shooter? a slasher with a mid range game? A do everything player whos gona get his points, assists, and boards every night? Its unlikely we get him but I at least wana a little about him.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »
What kind of player is Lamb, I know hes a very highly rated SG but what type of player is he because I have never seen him. Is he a lights out shooter? a slasher with a mid range game? A do everything player whos gona get his points, assists, and boards every night? Its unlikely we get him but I at least wana a little about him.

I saw him play 2-3 times at the Peach Jam last summer, Wods.  IMO, this is what I recognized in those games..... 

Lamb seems to have an efficient mid-range game (which seems like a lost art);  capable of knocking down treys; a decent defender (has long arms); a nice handle; and, an IQ for the game. 

He's a very, solid player and would probably be the 2nd best player on the team behind DJ Kennedy, if he were to join the Johnnies. 

Rack-a-Lamb!  LOL 

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »
To add on to Wods questions, can he play PG at the BE Level and does he want to play PG?

BTW, if he agreed to sit down with Lavin there has to be at least an inkling of interest.  Now it's up to Lavin and Chiles to make a big time impression.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:37:32 PM by B-Squared »

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:40:18 PM »
Maybe we should ask how much it will cost to get this kid?

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »
To add on to Wods questions, can he play PG at the BE Level and does he want to play PG?

BTW, if he agreed to sit down with Lavin there has to be at least an inkling of interest.  Now it's up to Lavin and Chiles to make a big time impression.

He can play some PG, but I wouldn't want him there, as a full-timer.  I think you're taking away from his game by having him play point on a full-time basis.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 03:14:26 PM »
Lamb is like a Penny Hardaway type of guard.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/04/13/st-johns-reaches-out-to-doron-lamb/

Calvin Lamb, Doron’s father, said Lavin called him shortly before 3 p.m. Tuesday to express interest in Lamb, the 6-foot-4 shooting guard ranked among the top five nationally in the Class of 2010.

“I just got off the phone with Coach Lavin like five minutes ago,” Calvin said.

“He just talked about the style of play that Doron could come in and start and be a floor general and be a good fit with the nine seniors that they have. He could be the one player that could get them over the hump to the NCAA tournament.”

Calvin said no meeting with Lavin had been set and that he had to huddle with Doron before making any future plans.

“I gotta talk to my son,” he said.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »
looks like the door is open.

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:07:13 PM »
Can he get to the pros as a SG?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 04:20:19 PM »
let's all tell our hometown boy doron how much we need him:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doron-Lamb/231042981485?v=wall&ref=ts

Poison

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 04:37:48 PM »

So we can pencil him in for 5 points and 1.5 assists?

kjd01067

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 04:46:46 PM »

I would hope a 5-star recruit could come in and average a little better than that.  Lets see what Lav is made of and if he can do what Norm could not.  Bring him back home coach.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Doron-Lamb-68206

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 05:00:38 PM »

I would hope a 5-star recruit could come in and average a little better than that.  Lets see what Lav is made of and if he can do what Norm could not.  Bring him back home coach.

I think it was more of a jokingly shot at Hardaway. Good to see Lavin told him he would start.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 05:01:13 PM by Mparty7441 »

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »

Which side of the fence are you on? You ripped Jarvis for being a bit $hady and then sucked on Norm's balls for being so clean and saying we couldn't land anyone because we were running a clean program. Now you are ok to pony up some ca$h?

Flip flopper and still losing creditability and I thought that was not possible.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 05:21:24 PM »

Which side of the fence are you on? You ripped Jarvis for being a bit $hady and then sucked on Norm's balls for being so clean and saying we couldn't land anyone because we were running a clean program. Now you are ok to pony up some ca$h?

Flip flopper and still losing creditability and I thought that was not possible.

Jarvis was a "bit shady"?  ;D How come he isnt signed yet, he and Selby? Sounds like they are waiting for th highest bidder and we just threw are hat in the ring. If you are going to pay a player, it should be a 5 star recruit not a 3rd string center. ;)

You obviously missed the sarcasm, but what else is new

sjd8886

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 06:10:24 PM »

it would be amazing if he got lamb now, so dont be pissed if he doesnt...top schools have been on this kid forever...lamb announced a decision date so he must have his mind made up and is giving it time to make sure...if lavin comes in a steals him away now it would be magic...its not like we are some toolbag school anymore but this is real late to get involved for such a prized recruit

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 06:47:09 PM »

I saw him play 2-3 times at the Peach Jam last summer, Wods.  IMO, this is what I recognized in those games..... 

Lamb seems to have an efficient mid-range game (which seems like a lost art);  capable of knocking down treys; a decent defender (has long arms); a nice handle; and, an IQ for the game. 

He's a very, solid player and would probably be the 2nd best player on the team behind DJ Kennedy, if he were to join the Johnnies. 

Rack-a-Lamb!  LOL
He's better than Kennedy. No offense to Roscoe, but he was the best player on OH this season.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 06:53:35 PM »

it would be amazing if he got lamb now, so dont be pissed if he doesnt...top schools have been on this kid forever...lamb announced a decision date so he must have his mind made up and is giving it time to make sure...if lavin comes in a steals him away now it would be magic...its not like we are some toolbag school anymore but this is real late to get involved for such a prized recruit

I think it was said today he's postponing his decision.  That can only mean good things that at least we have a puncher's chance.
Remember who broke the Slice news