Rico Hines hired by St. John's - per Goodman

• 5 replies
Rico Hines hired by St. John's - per Goodman
« on: April 16, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »
"Sources have told FOXSports.com that new St. John's coach Steve Lavin has hired GS Warriors asst Rico Hines - who played for Lavin at UCLA."
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Re: Rico Hines hired by St. John's - per Goodman
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »
so what does this mean for dunlap? oregon just got permission to interview anderson at mizzou which leads me to believe dunlap may take that as a sign and push him towards sju.

what does hines bring to the table for us and can we have him and dunlap?

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 04:28:46 PM »
so what does this mean for dunlap? oregon just got permission to interview anderson at mizzou which leads me to believe dunlap may take that as a sign and push him towards sju.

Hines brings the possibility of recruiting the DMV area and the west coast.  And, yes we can have both Hines and Dunlap.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 04:35:02 PM »

Dunlap would be the associate head coach (first assistant) and Rico will be the third assistant.  FWIW, I read that Dunlap isn't even cosidering the Oreon job (perhaps b/c he knows they are looking past him).  It is the Colorado job that he covets and realizes he has a puncher's chance.  They are almost certainly going to promote their current associate head coach.  It's rally a no-brainer for them.  I'd expect to see Dunlap here by the end of next week. 

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »
Hot rumor at Oregon is that Rick Adelman is going to leave the Rockets to take the job.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 05:40:41 PM »
Rico Hines will be the next assistant to join Steve Lavin's basketball staff at St. John's, a person familiar with the situation said Friday. Hines is coming over from the Golden State Warriors, where he was one of Don Nelson's assistants. Hines played for Lavin at UCLA.

Hines will join Tony Chiles, the former Drexel assistant. Lavin still needs a lead assistant and hopes to land Mike Dunlap,...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/st-john-s-lavin-adds-hines-to-coaching-staff-1.1865905
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!