Hewitt NOT the answer

• 30 replies
Hewitt NOT the answer
« on: February 01, 2008, 12:17:40 AM »
I was browsing on all the blogs I have listed on the main page of the website and I was checking out this one blog and noticed an article on Paul Hewitt who some people have suggested would be an upgrade over Norm...Please read this and then tell me if you feel the same way or if something sounds familar....

http://suckatsports.blogspot.com/2008/01/paul-hewitt-under-radar-terrible.html

In my two and a half years in Atlanta, I have had the luxury of being entertained several times by Georgia Tech's basketball team and their head coach, Paul Hewitt. I say entertained because I certainly get a laugh from every game. As I've stated in previous articles, I think Paul Hewitt does not get enough attention for being an overrated coach. How can someone out of the spotlight be overrated you might ask? Easy, just cruise through year after year regarded as a solid but not spectacular coach while secretly being very mediocre.

I will give Hewitt credit for two things: recruiting and defense. Hewitt has an uncanny ability to continue to pull in high profile recruits from the local Atlanta area as well as the rest of Georgia and South Carolina. Not a huge talent pool but good for 1 McDonald's All-American a year and a few top 50 players. That's very big for a mid-tier basketball program. The players he recruits are often super athletic and play with fierce emotion which is obvious when you see them. When I credit Georgia Tech's defense, I credit the players' effort and hustle and not so much any knowledge of defense whatsoever. So in reality, Georgia Tech's defense is a byproduct of good recruiting and not at all due to defensive principles. I guess you could call Georgia Tech's defense a pressure based man-to-man and successful in getting the occasional turnover, but these plays are usually based on athleticism and pure luck. The defensive rotations of the teams are always good but Georgia Tech also relies on an odd collapse of the opposing player and basically mauling while hoping for no foul call. Not a good strategy when you've already got good position, so I'm not sure what Hewitt is exactly telling these kids. Somehow the ACC refs always let them get away with murder down low.

And now, brass tacks. Hewitt's players are all very athletic and can certainly out-jump almost any team, but are TERRIBLE at rebounding. I don't know if anyone has told Hewitt, but teaching your kids how to box out is very important. The players certainly have the talent and desire to get the rebound but they rarely have the right position. It is not uncommon to see an opposing player easily sneak into the lane for an offensive rebound with absolutely NO contest from a GT player. Tom Izzo would have a heart attack with these teams. Even though this is a glaring problem with all GT teams, I have never seen a game where the players consistently box out their man. You'd think that Hewitt would address this (and this would not be difficult), but I've never seen improvement in this regard.

Game management is also a big problem for Hewitt. I've seen more than a few games now where Hewitt leaves himself with little to no timeouts left for crucial moments of a tight game. I know that the Jackets are inexperienced and need to be calmed down but his timeout management is atrocious and leaves GT with even more confusion for the final minutes. In addition, Hewitt has very odd substitution patterns in which he regularly removes players who are obviously doing extremely well at the moment. I'm not sure if he just assumes they need to rest (which they probably don't since they are super athletic) or if he just has no idea what to do because he seems to be intentionally sabotaging himself by interrupting the flow of offense. Seeing 4 players substituted at the same time for no reason is not uncommon and certainly confusing to any fan.

Finally (and most importantly), Hewitt enjoys running what I call the "Take the ball and do something with it" offense. This usually consists of a PG dribbling the ball back and forth looking for non-existent openings while the forwards and big men pretend to fight for position and feign movement off the ball. Trust me, nothing is happening. There are very few set plays run by Georgia Tech and I see very few screens set for the shooters. Even the screens that are set are very weak and ineffective. Perhaps this is a motion offense that Hewitt is trying to run, except for the fact that there is never any motion. Most of the time the supposed GT half-court offense breaks down into 3 plays:
1. PG dribbles into the lane and jacks up a floater while being swarmed by 3 much taller defenders
2. PG gets trapped 40 feet from the basket, picks up his dribble, and gives it up as the shot clock winds down, resulting in a PF or C jacking up a three
3. Big man gets it down low and drives to the middle of the lane and gets swarmed, forcing a shot over 3 defenders, hoping to out-jump everyone and miracle shot it in. They then act surprised when it gets blocked or doesn't fall.

I don't think in the history of watching GT basketball I have seen an offensive play run where someone gets a legitimate open shot by design. The occasional open 3 is only created by confusion on the defense from a dribble drive. But even the village idiot could teach that. Paul Hewitt doesn't believe in Xs and Os, apparently he's hands off. Very hands off.

So how does Georgia Tech score? Well, Sonny Perdue must be praying on the steps of Washington again or something because every bounce seems to go Georgia Tech's way, resulting in easy offensive putbacks. Many times a contested shot bounces off the rim and just falls into a GT player's lap. Either that or GT players merely hack on offensive boards and get easy layups. I am always amazed at how many times I put my hands up and say, "wow that was really lucky" in regards to a GT basket. Oh and who can forget the brilliantly designed, "jack up a 3 with 30 seconds left on the shot clock and hope it goes in" play? The worst part about this is that Hewitt seems to not mind this strategy whereas any decent coach would go mad. Does Hewitt seriously just tell his kids, "hey, try to dribble it inside and hope something good happens, maybe you can out-jump everyone"? Or "hey jacking up 3s is cool because the defense isn't set". In late game situations, instead of running multiple screens and cuts to get an open shot, Hewitt winds up designing a play with maybe ONE cross-screen which doesn't fool the defense and results in a difficult contested long jumper. Seriously, I run those plays with my intramural team and it doesn't even work there.

Teams that feed off high emotion like Georgia Tech make many runs in games, but they don't consistently perform. Do you know who does consistently win? Ice cold hearted teams with well designed plays and solid principles that don't get fazed by crowds and emotion like the San Antonio Spurs.

The fact that Paul Hewitt has remained off the hot seat is miraculous to me. He is not getting enough attention for sucking. After the close loss to UNC, I heard a bitter fan yell, "I'm sick of these #$%^ing refs, man!" Trust me, the refs had nothing to do with it. Until Hewitt learns how to design an offense, teach rebounding, and manage the game better, be prepared for many years of Georgia Tech basketball coming just short. At least it's exciting.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Hewitt NOT the answer
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 01:07:19 AM »
hahaha wow its unbelievable how you can read his summary on their offense and just substitute hewitt for norm, and georgia tech for st johns...you wouldnt know the difference

kob24

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 01:18:42 AM »
jj im about to go to sleep but when i wakeup i gonna explain why i wouldnt mind hewitt at all

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 01:24:23 AM »
jj im about to go to sleep but when i wakeup i gonna explain why i wouldnt mind hewitt at all

haha i'll be anxiously awaiting your response when I wake up

Randomhero423

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 07:14:32 AM »
he'd be an upgrade over norm easily!  he can recruit very well and isn't that bad at x's and o's compared to norm.

now he's not my top choice.  but he's not a bad secondary option.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 09:06:40 AM »
hahaha wow its unbelievable how you can read his summary on their offense and just substitute hewitt for norm, and georgia tech for st johns...you wouldnt know the difference

'cept he go to the championship game and the NCAAs almost evry year and gets McD's AA to play fo him.

Yeah they is twins.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Stool

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »
So, JJ, you are suggesting that Hewitt wouldn't be an upgrade over Norm?

Hewitt took GT to a national title game a few years ago, and has been plagued by players leaving for the NBA. Thats a nice problem to have.

Im not saying Hewitt is the answer here, but beggars cant be choosers...and to say hes not an upgrade over Norm is borderline insane.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 10:45:22 AM »
Bottom line is if we have the opportunity to grab a guy like Hewitt we have to do it.  Obviously we would all rather Cal and Pitino but I highly doubt it'd be possible at all for us. 

I know a lot of people would like a big mid major coach but I think we've reached the point where that won't do us any good.  We need a NAME and thats what Hewitt is.  Does he have his deficiencies, yeah but lets be real, they all do.  He has recruited stud after stud at Georgia Tech and even though he hasn't landed any (not positive on this) he's been close to nailing down some NYC studs aka Sylven.  Kids up here know who he is and know that he sends dudes to the league and think that he can get them there too.  In my opinion college bball is all about recruiting and if you can get the boys you want to play your way, you'll get the W's.  Here in NY he'll have a slew of guys to choose from and be able to play whatever way he may like.  We get that hot mid major unfortunately I see us falling behind a few more years until they start to make a name for themselves and we won't know for sure if they are any good to even make a positive name.

kob24

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 12:22:16 PM »
well one this person can be a hater and have his on personal agenda. but u cant doubt the fact that the man get recruits plain and smple. and that is a big problem for the johnnies. i dont know if hes a saviour. i dont know if he will be here next year.im the only person who thinks norm stays. but people cant knock coach hewitt. the players he put in the league is crazy. every1 says coach cal but im willing to make a bet ( and unlike oldred i will pay up) that he isnt coming here. coach hewitt isnt a bad get at all. the acc style of play is different to the big east style of play

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 12:31:57 PM »
At this point, if the johnnies are too cheap to pay for a top dawg, just bring mark jackson in as the head coach...hell even Mullin can be a part time AD.....

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 01:46:48 PM »
He is a better version of Norm perhaps but maybe if you put Norm at Georgia Tech they see the same results. I still think Norm is a good recruiter but with the woes of St. John's and the sanctions it made it impossible to recruit. Why would anyone want to come to St. Johns?

I just don't think we need a Norm clone as the next coach

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 02:13:35 PM »
i guess the ring has to fall sometime. the question is, can redmen nation wait on another developing coach to come here? i say lets hit this issue hard and on-point....pay the $. it will still take a top coach to turn around a program in year 2 (regardless of talent) as opposed to year 4-5 with a developing coach.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 06:02:49 PM »
       Hewitt had been interviewed for the SJU job when he was still coaching at Siena. He asked for too much money and wasn't hired. Does this sound familiar?  Forget it... the program is dead at the national high major level because the administration will no longer make a $$ commitment, great players no longer have an interast in playing in NY given no major on campus facility [the Garden is old news and irrelevant to todays 16 and 17 year old kids]. Have you ever visited a real major college campus and its on campus arena? Give yourselfs a treat sometime and then you will know why SJU will no longer  get  NCAA bids ,other than once every 10 years or so.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 11:54:27 PM »
Upgrade?  Yes
The answer to our problems?  No

Have to keep things in perspective.  He's certainly a better coach than Norm, but he won't make us into a viable top-25 team every single year. 

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 10:50:32 AM »
He is a better version of Norm perhaps but maybe if you put Norm at Georgia Tech they see the same results. I still think Norm is a good recruiter but with the woes of St. John's and the sanctions it made it impossible to recruit. Why would anyone want to come to St. Johns?

I just don't think we need a Norm clone as the next coach

You are delusional. Norm couldn't coach a CYO team to the championship game.

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 12:03:54 PM »
Neither can Hewitt

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 12:18:09 PM »
I sent an email like I said to the author of the blog I posted above and he sent me the following in return to shed some more light on things...

I don't know too much about St. John's basketball but what I recall is that it used to be a top level program which has sadly somewhat fallen off the map.  I remember them being very competitive about 10 years ago but not in recent times.  What surprises me about that is the immense talent pool you have available in NYC.

Anyway, if Norm Roberts is how you describe him, then getting Paul Hewitt might not be the best choice for your coaching spot unless you want a slight improvement with the same things happening in the end.  Paul Hewitt as well has no offensive system, he has more of an offensive "scheme" with "fundamental principles" as he likes to describe it.  Basically, that means his teams have no idea what they are doing.  In transition, his teams have enough athletes that they can get an easy basket and do it fairly well by simply out-hustling the other team, however I am never impressed by this as much as I am by how Roy Williams' or Tom Izzo's teams run the fast break efficiently.  In the half court, the offense is simply atrocious.  Hewitt relies on a very efficient PG who can create a shot by using his slashing abilities to get in the lane, then having either shooters get open for the three or having cutters drive to the lane for a layup.  This unfortunately relies on having a very good PG which Hewitt has had exactly 1.5 years out of his entire tenure here (1 with Jarret Jack, 1/2 a year with Javaris Crittenton).  I am a huge diehard fan of Michigan State basketball and realize that not every coach can have a huge football-esque playbook like Tom Izzo, but they shouldn't be as inefficient as Hewitt either.  Bob Knight basically had a motion offense and only 3 or 4 set plays but he taught his principles very well and made it extremely effective, something Hewitt obviously does not do.

His teams do play great defense and show great, great athleticism.  The defense definitely comes from the fact that he recruits such naturally talented athletes who hustle and work very hard and are taught to pressure all the time.  Almost every year there is a wing player from GT who is unheralded but if you watch him you can tell is an elite, NBA level type defender.  Mario West, who was a WALK-ON at GT, is now playing for the Atlanta Hawks simply because he worked his ass off on defense and did an excellent job shutting down wing players.

Hewitt also recruits extremely well, and I am always impressed by this.  GT is not as regarded as it was before in terms of recruiting since the program has slipped a bit but his ability to recruit better than some much better programs is always impressive.  Perhaps this would help St. John's since he would be able to keep a lot more players within the NYC area (I believe Hewitt is from NYC as well).

The last thing I noticed is that you mentined Norm Roberts teams don't do well at the end.  If this is your problem, then Hewitt is most DEFINITELY not your answer.  He is known for having teams that absolutely collapse in the last 5 minutes.  This is because he mismanages his timeouts terribly and has TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE set plays coming out of crucial last minute timeouts.  He is one of the worst late game coaches I have ever seen.

I basically regard Hewitt as having one extremely lucky year in 2004 when he had a wealth of talented juniors and seniors who exploded at the same time (PG Jarrett Jack, C Luke Schenscher) but since then he's had very talented teams and has done nothing with them (last year with two NBA first rounders).  I think he'd be an improvement over Roberts but not to the point that he would vault you back to the national stage.  I think the coach you are looking for should be able to recruit like Hewitt in NYC but needs to be a better offensive coach.

Tha Kid

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 12:44:53 PM »
Neither can Hewitt

You're joking right?  He can't coach a team to the CYO title game, but he DID coach a team to the NCAA title game? Wow.

Paul Hewitt would be an ENORMOUS upgrade.  His teams play tough on the road, they are always giving the top ACC teams a game - he makes the NCAA tourney on average every other year.  He gets McD's AA's to come play for him.  He has had at least 4 first round picks enter the NBA on his watch and it might atually be more - I'm only remembering Bosh, Jack, and the 2 from last year right now.

Yeah - SAME as Norm.  Or Slight upgrade.   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

if we can't get an elite coach like cal or pitino, Hewitt would be an AWESOME choice.

Crazy to think people can watch this st johns team and claim that a man who has been to the NCAA 5 times in his career, a title game, and sent 4 1st rounders to the NBA in the last 4-5 years is a SLIGHT upgrade on Norm.  Let's get real.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 01:04:44 PM »
Hewitt is a good recruiter

Hewitt runs no offense

Hewitt relies on defensive intensity, hustle, and athleticism

Hewitt is a bad game coach

Hewitt never calls good plays out of TO's

Does any of this sound familiar?

Tha Kid

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »
Hewitt is a good recruiter

Hewitt runs no offense

Hewitt relies on defensive intensity, hustle, and athleticism

Hewitt is a bad game coach

Hewitt never calls good plays out of TO's

Does any of this sound familiar?

Hewitt is a GREAT recruiter. Norm is not even a good one.

We haven't had a coach run an offense anyways in years, as long as we win whatever.

Hewitt relies on defensive intensity, hustle, and athleticism - Norm can't even get our kids to try for all 40 minutes anymore.

Hewitt is a good enough game coach to get to the NCAA finals and make the NCAA tourney 5 times --- you dont just get lucky like that.

I'll take your word that Hewitt doesn't call GOOD plays out of timeouts.  Norm doesn't call ANY plays out of timeouts.

Hewitt is basically a trillion times better than Norm.  It's like comparing a mediocre piece of prime rib to a poor piece of ground sirloin.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:10:44 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"