Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

MCNPA

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #1500 on: September 08, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »
Yes, we've all heard that Baron Davis quote.

Funny part about it is, that quote has been used time and time again to diminish Lavin's accomplishments and prior legacy...and yet Davis himself is very close with two of our 2011 recruits, and chatted up a top 5 2012 recruit in favor of Lavin.

I've always thought that Davis is a bit of a loose cannon...so its nuts put too much weight on anything he says.  still a bit of a curious choice. 

i'll be checking in later...and according to Zagoria...will probably be offering congrats in a few weeks. ;)

I hope you're right. ;)

Marillac

« Reply #1501 on: September 08, 2011, 09:41:52 PM »
Man, we have some of the most staunch homers in the country! Some of you guys are blinded by your loyalty.

MCNPA

« Reply #1502 on: September 08, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »
Man, we have some of the most staunch homers in the country! Some of you guys are blinded by your loyalty.

Marillac, if there's anything SJU has needed over the years it is loyalty.  The best programs have armies of loyal fans.  It should be no different here.  Gotta believe in what Lavin and co. are doing.  Nothing less than top notch.

Marillac

« Reply #1503 on: September 08, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »

Marillac, if there's anything SJU has needed over the years it is loyalty.  The best programs have armies of loyal fans.  It should be no different here.  Gotta believe in what Lavin and co. are doing.  Nothing less than top notch.

Yes, but there is a difference between loyalty and being unreasonable.  I don't like the way these GTown fans are being treated.  Kyle Anderson hasn't tipped his hat in the slightest and many of you are being ridiculous by  dismissing anything that doesn't put us in a positive light as being hogwash...then, the same people rip into GTown fans for doing the same. 

I hope we don't get to the point where we can't look at things objectively and only positve posts are allowed.  That is how Redmen.com got for a while.  We all loe this pogram, but it's anyone's game for Kyle ight now.  I think we land him, but GTown has just as goot of shot as us and their insiders (and UCLA/SH/UF) deserve the same respect as our insiders.  This is one of the worst threads I've ever seen on a St. John's wesbsite.  It's embarassing.

MCNPA

« Reply #1504 on: September 08, 2011, 10:38:14 PM »

Yes, but there is a difference between loyalty and being unreasonable.  I don't like the way these GTown fans are being treated.  Kyle Anderson hasn't tipped his hat in the slightest and many of you are being ridiculous by  dismissing anything that doesn't put us in a positive light as being hogwash...then, the same people rip into GTown fans for doing the same. 

I hope we don't get to the point where we can't look at things objectively and only positve posts are allowed.  That is how Redmen.com got for a while. We all loe this pogram, but it's anyone's game for Kyle ight now.  I think we land him, but GTown has just as goot of shot as us and their insiders (and UCLA/SH/UF) deserve the same respect as our insiders.  This is one of the worst threads I've ever seen on a St. John's wesbsite.  It's embarassing.

Marillac, just because YOU think it is anybodys game and you say so, doesn't necessarily make it so.  Isn't that the point of filtering out info?  I don't have any inside info on this one, but I'll guarantee you it is not wide open.  Kyle set his date a while ago and you can bet that somebody is righ and somebody is wrong with regard to their "inside info".  I'll take guys like 79, KOB, Fordham, , Dave and others that I know are quite connected to the local bball scene.     I'm surprised that a guy who has written off several recruits based on amateur analysis from some grainy video clips is calling anybody unreasonable.

« Reply #1505 on: September 08, 2011, 10:43:49 PM »
I'm with marallic. I think the hoya fans have been treated poorly for no reason. Yes its a st johns board but when I see st johns fans being harassed on other teams boards it makes those fans look weak. I hope we can do better than that.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #1506 on: September 08, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
I'm with marallic. I think the hoya fans have been treated poorly for no reason. Yes its a st johns board but when I see st johns fans being harassed on other teams boards it makes those fans look weak. I hope we can do better than that.

I agree that we should be civil but if they posting here they better back themselves up

MCNPA

« Reply #1507 on: September 08, 2011, 11:27:12 PM »
I think people are being civil here.  Doesn't mean SJU fans have to lie down and accept what is said.  It's a SJU board and I love when other fans come with real discussion.  Not many boards you can do that.  The SJU boards are some of the few where outside fans get real discussion, not just the "you suck, go home" crowd.  The only fans I don't want to see again are the zags fans, most of whom were the most obnoxious I've encountered.

« Reply #1508 on: September 09, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »
Listen, our coaching staff is absolutely tremendous, and I would put them up there with a bunch of these other staffs involved (and I would put them OVER the Seton Hall staff) but blueandgray  is right here. 

Ben Howland has taken UCLA to 3 Final Fours and has developed NBA players.  In addition, the UCLA campus/location is far and away better than the St. John's campus.  Not even close.  Not to mention the weather is beautiful year round and the practice/athletics facility is GORGEOUS (I've been in there and toured it).

Florida and Billy Donovan have won 2 national titles and have developed many NBA players.

Georgetown has been to a Final Four and has developed NBA talent as well.

As I said, I will concretely take our staff/facilities over SHU's, but I'm not sure I would take it over the other schools involved in KA's recruitment.  However, I will say that I would probably take Lavin over a few of these other head coachers in terms of pure recruiting ability and ability to land a prospect.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #1509 on: September 09, 2011, 12:07:25 AM »
new tweet from kyle:

"Shu showed me lots of love today!!"

this coming on the day he visited us...

They supposedly had about 40 fans there. Good for them, but this is VERY frustrating:

I have repeatedly posted the schedules of games our recruits play during iS8 (which is 5 minutes from campus), and nearly nobody shows up.  The SHU fanbase sounds like they showed up tonight, which is something our fanbase NEVER does when it comes to recruiting. 

Those are the only 40 fans they have :)

One of the professor's at the school who is a SH alumni must of been giving out extra credit to his students. ;-D

kob24

« Reply #1510 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:27 AM »
i was just thinking something and some of yall may kill me and im posting this on here because everyone in the world is reading this topic right now. someone on here mentioned sylvan and i really in my hearts and hearts believe if he would have came to st.johns he would have been a draft pick. yes norm would have kept his job but i really think he would have been in the nba.

« Reply #1511 on: September 09, 2011, 12:19:05 AM »
I think people are being civil here.  Doesn't mean SJU fans have to lie down and accept what is said.  It's a SJU board and I love when other fans come with real discussion.  Not many boards you can do that.  The SJU boards are some of the few where outside fans get real discussion, not just the "you suck, go home" crowd.  The only fans I don't want to see again are the zags fans, most of whom were the most obnoxious I've encountered.

Exactly!  Our fans, for the most part, have acted very civilized to the G'town fans on the board.  Of course, there have been a rift here and there, but the convo usually have been fairly cordial.  It's not like they are being berated by most of the board and ripped to shreds.

Tell you what, mase and Marillac....  Go around on other teams message boards, and come back here, and you'll see it's like night and day, when it comes to posting by the opposition. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:19:49 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #1512 on: September 09, 2011, 12:31:25 AM »
i was just thinking something and some of yall may kill me and im posting this on here because everyone in the world is reading this topic right now. someone on here mentioned sylvan and i really in my hearts and hearts believe if he would have came to st.johns he would have been a draft pick. yes norm would have kept his job but i really think he would have been in the nba.

KOB that could be very true. I think he did make a mistake not going to st johns, or Georgia Tech for that matter.  I think it would have been great for him to transfer here and start fresh with this group. Oh well good luck to sylvan I am a big fan of his game
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #1513 on: September 09, 2011, 12:40:13 AM »

I agree you might be right KOB.  His best shot at the NBA would have been if he played on last years SJU team under Lavin though.  You're correct, it might have saved his job.

« Reply #1514 on: September 09, 2011, 12:43:06 AM »
Hoya fans are welcome here just as anyone else. They have to remember to be civil, and be prepared to back up what they say with some facts. There are some educated fans here so they better come correct.

I've posted on hoyasaxa plenty of times and have been welcomed to every time. They're a good bunch.

Personally I'm not a JTIII fan. From his coaching to his recruiting I wouldn't invest in his stock. Losing David Cox on that staff was a big blow to what they could have done locally in DC which is a mega hot bed of talent. If I were a player I'd look to a lot of other programs within the Big East before I looked at Georgetown (in a pure basketball sense).

Also a note to the posters here, treat the hoya fans with the same respect as you would any other person here or you'd expect for yourself. Yea, they root for another team and they stick up for blue and grey as you would for red and white.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #1515 on: September 09, 2011, 12:44:04 AM »

Lance might have been there too year after. A lot of what if's but this will go way off topic. We can start another thread.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #1516 on: September 09, 2011, 12:53:50 AM »
Hoya fans are welcome here just as anyone else. They have to remember to be civil, and be prepared to back up what they say with some facts. There are some educated fans here so they better come correct.

I've posted on hoyasaxa plenty of times and have been welcomed to every time. They're a good bunch.

Personally I'm not a JTIII fan. From his coaching to his recruiting I wouldn't invest in his stock. Losing David Cox on that staff was a big blow to what they could have done locally in DC which is a mega hot bed of talent. If I were a player I'd look to a lot of other programs within the Big East before I looked at Georgetown (in a pure basketball sense).

Also a note to the posters here, treat the hoya fans with the same respect as you would any other person here or you'd expect for yourself. Yea, they root for another team and they stick up for blue and grey as you would for red and white.

Agree Dave.  Hoyasaxa might be one of the only other boards with a well-informed and even keeled fan base.  Had some great discussions with some of them live last year after the SJU vs Georgetown game at the garden.  Not a bad bunch overall at all.

Gumby

« Reply #1517 on: September 09, 2011, 02:20:16 AM »
"I'll be checking in later...and according to Zagoria...will probably be offering congrats in a few weeks. "

What is meant by the reference to Zagoria?

pmg911

« Reply #1518 on: September 09, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »
(2) When was the last time SJU had an NBA lottery pick?

This question was answewred incorrectly before - Ron Artest was not a Lottery pick, he was picked 16th in 1st round of 1999 Draft.

I believe Malik Sealy was St. John's last Lottery pick in 1992 and I might even be wrong about that because I can't see how many teams were in the Lottery in 1992 but i think it was 14 then. If it was not Malik you would have to go back Walter Berry.

« Reply #1519 on: September 09, 2011, 08:39:04 AM »
"I'll be checking in later...and according to Zagoria...will probably be offering congrats in a few weeks. "

What is meant by the reference to Zagoria?

I could be wrong, but I think it was a cheap shot at Zagoria.  Many of the fans on the Hoyas' website believes Zags is a hack.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:50:22 AM by mjdinkins »