Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

Poison

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #1560 on: September 10, 2011, 01:31:47 AM »
Crgreen, I think this should be the last time you speak of Steve Lavin in a derogatory way again. If spoiled brats in California expected more from him, then they clearly deserved less.

UCLA hasn't been a perennial contender in decades. Westwood needs to start living in the present. UCLA was lucky to make the dance last year. Their best win last year was w out a doubt, St.John's. It's sad that a program with such a strong history (even if it was only over a 7 year period) has no class

crgreen

« Reply #1561 on: September 10, 2011, 02:52:46 AM »
Crgreen, I think this should be the last time you speak of Steve Lavin in a derogatory way again. If spoiled brats in California expected more from him, then they clearly deserved less.

UCLA hasn't been a perennial contender in decades.

Uh, lets be clear.   Yours truly was reporting degrogatory statements about Steve, not MAKING them.  I've been staunchly defending Steve's remarkable record for 15 years.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by perennial contender  - UCLA has WON 1/7 th of all the NCAA hoops championships that have occured (11 of 72), and Been in 1/5th of all the Final Fours held (16 of 72).       And if SJU ends Steves first 8 seasons with 3 final fours (as Howland has these past 8 at UCLA), I think y'all will consider yourself as having entered that "perennial contender" category.....

The "contending" thing is a touchy point with me. going back to defending Steve on the Bruin board during his tenure there.  One of the main complaints, put forth by the mods of the UCLA scout board, was that under Steve Lavin UCLA failed to be conssistently a championship contending team.     My argument that since only he and Mike Krzyzewski reached the sweet 16  five times during those seven seasons he was only one of two coaches who DID consistenly have his team conending was literally laughted off the boards, as was my pointing out that when you reach the Sweet 16, there are only 8 other coaches among the 350 D-1 fraternity who get their teams farther - that you're in the top 3% of your profession.... 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 03:05:27 AM by crgreen »

MCNPA

« Reply #1562 on: September 10, 2011, 06:10:28 AM »
Kyle's open workout started at 3:45 today and we had two assistants there for the work out then at about 5:30 Coach Lavin showed up with Earl Watson.

Certainly a different approach but I have to give the man extra points for knowing how to make an entrance.

This could get ugly.  Bruin boards already have long threads on how Baron Davis is a traitor for being at SJU for Kyles visit (and that I'm one for reporting it!).  And now Earl accompanies Steve to Kyle's workout at St. Anthonys?   Yikes.
I was wondering what UCLA fans were saying about Baron coming here. Great stuff

Well, there are conspiracy theorists who think they're both pulling the wool over that idiot Lavin's eyes, by pulling Kyle aside and secretly telling them how lousy Lavin is and steering him to Westwood.....

By the way, have I mentioned I hope Kyle picks UCLA?

Oh - and some posters are up on their recruiting and realizing what Earl's involvement might mean next year in the Ismail Wainwright recruitment (yes, I want Wainwright in Westwood, too  -  perfect replacement for 1 and done Shabazz Mohamad at the 3)...

Yes CR.  I read your post on the ucla message board about wanting him at ucla.  Fans on this board and on Redmen.com know where tour loyalties lie.  First and foremost with ucla.  I think SJU might have spring boarded vTech but that's just a gut feeling, not really sure. ;). You've always been forthcoming about those Aspects and fans here appreciate it.  Haven't seen my favorite Uconn fan Alex.d much recently.  Ill have to get on him next time I see him. 

« Reply #1563 on: September 10, 2011, 07:49:02 AM »
Don't forget FL :

Adam ZagoriaFlorida believes Billy Donovan`s track record w/ NBA players compares favorably w/ Lavin & Willard.

8 hours agoFavoriteRetweetReply

Adam Zagoria
Florida believes it still has a strong shot w / @kyleanderson5 & looks forward to Mon home visit & upcoming official, source tells SNY.tv..

Poison

« Reply #1564 on: September 10, 2011, 09:13:04 AM »
Fair enough CR, my point was that it's such garbage it should even be mentioned here. If UCLA fans are that stupid, let them announce it somewhere else. No need to copy their idiot speak.

And no offense, but I stand by what I said, I am not afraid of UCLA like I am of Syracuse, Duke and Uconn. Their big fat man had the game of his life, you lose last year in Westwood. After that, there wasn't much talent. I dont see a Kevin Love or a Russell Westbrook on these UCLA teams.

Let's see what kind of team they put together, Howland has had some great success, but that's in the past. What has he done lately?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:13:06 AM by Poison »

MCNPA

« Reply #1565 on: September 10, 2011, 09:18:16 AM »
Fair enough CR, my point was that it's such garbage it should even be mentioned here. If UCLA fans are that stupid, let them announce it somewhere else. No need to copy their idiot speak.

And no offense, but I stand by what I said, I am afraid of UCLA like I am of Syracuse, Duke and Uconn. Their big fat man had the game of his life, you lose last year in Westwood. After that, there wasn't  much talent. I dont see a Kevin Love or a Russell Westbrook on these UCLA teams.

Let's see what kind of team they put together, Howland has had some great success, but that's in the past. What has he done lately?

Agree, Josh smith saved them last year.  He was real good that game though and our D in him real bad.

Gumby

« Reply #1566 on: September 10, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »
I believe on the original schedule that UCLA was to be in town today for a home visit with KA.  Is that still on?

No surprise that FL believes they are still in the running, as they are.  I would put them in the second tier with Georgetown.  I think UCLA, SHU, and our beloved Red Storm are in the first tier of suitors.

Why did some of you have to bring up last year's UCLA game?  Quite frankly, it was not Coach Dunlap's finest hour as our defense coach.  Having been at this game, give Josh Smith credit.  He took advantage of our lack of defense on him.  Our guys "guarding" him seem to have heavy boots on, as their feet never left the floor.  We made him a star that day.

Back to KA, so Earl and Baron are double agents working for the vile Count Howland.  Did UCLA give them (Earl and Baron) numbers and took away their names? (See if any one remembers this reference.) That truly is a conspiracy theory of great proportions. 

I said this before and I will say it again, KA's recruitment is draining us all.  With all the interplay with the other schools, will we reach 2,000 posts before 9/20?  We certainly will on 9/20.

Keep up the good work Coach Lavin and JJ posters!

« Reply #1567 on: September 10, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »
wouldn't it be ironic if Norm Roberts finally gets his man - against SJU!

Poison

« Reply #1568 on: September 10, 2011, 10:49:15 AM »
Norm Roberts has nothing to do with recruiting at Florida. No one is signing up to play for that nice person.

pmg911

« Reply #1569 on: September 10, 2011, 11:07:32 AM »
Norm Roberts has nothing to do with recruiting at Florida. No one is signing up to play for that nice person.

Well when Kyle Anderson and his Father come out and say that Florida is in the chase directly because of Norm Roberts you have to think he is heavily invovled. Norm made his name as a recruiter but he proved he just couldn't be a closer as a head coach. Now he leads the recruits to one of the best closers in the country..   Billy Donovan.

Poison

« Reply #1570 on: September 10, 2011, 11:17:49 AM »

Well when Kyle Anderson and his Father come out and say that Florida is in the chase directly because of Norm Roberts you have to think he is heavily invovled. Norm made his name as a recruiter but he proved he just couldn't
be a closer as a head coach. Now he leads the recruits to one of the best closers in the country..   Billy Donovan.

Billy Donovan brought in serious talent before Norm Roberts showed up. How is it realistic to still consider him a good recruiter in any regard? How do we know that Roberts had anything to do with Deron Williams and Luther Head choosing the Illini? Bill Self didn't exactly lose any steam once Norm hopped a plane to Queens.

« Reply #1571 on: September 10, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »

Well when Kyle Anderson and his Father come out and say that Florida is in the chase directly because of Norm Roberts you have to think he is heavily invovled. Norm made his name as a recruiter but he proved he just couldn't
be a closer as a head coach. Now he leads the recruits to one of the best closers in the country..   Billy Donovan.

Billy Donovan brought in serious talent before Norm Roberts showed up. How is it realistic to still consider him a good recruiter in any regard? How do we know that Roberts had anything to do with Deron Williams and Luther Head choosing the Illini? Bill Self didn't exactly lose any steam once Norm hopped a plane to Queens.

Agree, Poison.  OTOH, Florida is basically still around due to Norm Roberts.  He may not seal the deal, but he has them in the race due to building a good rapport when he was at St. John's.

In this particular recruitment, Donovan probably leaned on Roberts.  I don't think Donovan actually needs Roberts when it comes to recruiting.

By the way, did anyone attend IS8?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:27:43 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #1572 on: September 10, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »

personally i like the perspective that crgreen's provides. i enjoy hearing about how spoiled/ignorant ucla fans are/can be. especially in the KA recruitment. its comical.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:31:20 AM by theoffspring447 »

uwsfan

« Reply #1573 on: September 10, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
I know the Seton Hall fans have gotten their hopes way up since Kyles visit there, to the point of delusion.

The kid may have Jersey pride, but he and his father have to know that if he goes there he will not see the tournament unless he stays until his senior season.

he would also have to endure the humiliation and psychological torture of getting routed by SJU & G-Town when he faces their superior teams and then sees them play in the big tourney while SH struggles to make the NIT.

At the end of the day, he just is not going to choose that school.

I think it  is btw St Johns and UCLA. These two schools have the best coaching staffs of the schools on his list and are the two with the best chance of winning a national championship by Kyles soph year(likely his fnal yr)

It really comes down to how important geography is to him
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:37:21 AM by uwsfan »

« Reply #1574 on: September 10, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
Kyle's open workout started at 3:45 today and we had two assistants there for the work out then at about 5:30 Coach Lavin showed up with Earl Watson.

Certainly a different approach but I have to give the man extra points for knowing how to make an entrance.

This could get ugly.  Bruin boards already have long threads on how Baron Davis is a traitor for being at SJU for Kyles visit (and that I'm one for reporting it!).  And now Earl accompanies Steve to Kyle's workout at St. Anthonys?   Yikes.
I was wondering what UCLA fans were saying about Baron coming here. Great stuff

Well, there are conspiracy theorists who think they're both pulling the wool over that idiot Lavin's eyes, by pulling Kyle aside and secretly telling them how lousy Lavin is and steering him to Westwood.....

By the way, have I mentioned I hope Kyle picks UCLA?

Oh - and some posters are up on their recruiting and realizing what Earl's involvement might mean next year in the Ismail Wainwright recruitment (yes, I want Wainwright in Westwood, too  -  perfect replacement for 1 and done Shabazz Mohamad at the 3)...

UCLA aint getting Shabazz.... just ask coach Cal.   :2funny:

« Reply #1575 on: September 10, 2011, 11:48:50 AM »
According to HallDan of rivals, St. John's is fading fast.

« Reply #1576 on: September 10, 2011, 11:52:32 AM »

And liar to boot, as he conned the University to believe that he could get the job (the recruits) done.  Actually Norm did get a few good recruits.  Its just that they didnt learn a damn thing and the smart ones took off.

« Reply #1577 on: September 10, 2011, 12:00:26 PM »
I know the Seton Hall fans have gotten their hopes way up since Kyles visit there, to the point of delusion.

The kid may have Jersey pride, but he and his father have to know that if he goes there he will not see the tournament unless he stays until his senior season.

Delusional?  Their resident "insider" believes the Johnnies are a distant third in this recruitment.  Honestly, we'll probably never know who was 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th in this race.  We'll only know the winner.  The guy is blowing hot smoke outta his arse.  Unfortunately, many of his minions are lapping it up.

I doubt Anderson stays in college 'til his senior year.  I see him being in college for a couple of seasons.  Anderson is the lifeline to most of the Hall fans.  It might not be the most endearing situation to be in for a kid.  Who knows!?!

I, once had nothing against Seton Hall.  Lately, I can't say the same.  I'm not gonna lump all of 'em in the same boat, but the majority of the Hall fans have displayed abonimable-like behavior towards anything St. John's (over the past few months).  It's been unwarranted on most occasions.

I would certainly enjoy shutting the pie holes of their fans in 9 more days. 

« Reply #1578 on: September 10, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »
According to HallDan of rivals, St. John's is fading fast.

What is he gonna do, if Anderson chooses St. John's?  He's gonna have to run and hide, as the Hall fans are going to wanna tar and feather him.  LOL 

You know what?  I can see him backpeddling in a few more days to save his hind.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:05:06 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #1579 on: September 10, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »
I just find it odd that after the SH visit all of a sudden SH became the leader and we began fading. A visit that neither parent made. Kyle takes the ST.J visit with his mom and sibllings and tweets he had a great time but STJ is fading?

It doesn't add up to me. But who knows?