Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #2200 on: September 19, 2011, 10:48:01 PM »
UCLA per Jerry Meyer. Done.

If true, probably gave Williard the news tn who proceeded to leak it.

I believe that probably was the case, as well.   Finally, this is over!  I think Kyle fell in love with the idea of playing in Cali during the Elite 24 game.  I also believe a couple of family members also liked the Cali life, as well.  Where is Baldi with his usual "perks" nonsense?  LOL   

I really didn't think he would go all the way out the the left coast, but I guess he truly wanted to play with Shabazz Muhammad.  Howland probably "lucked" his way into this one, but sometimes luck and being at the right place at the right time is all that is needed.

Hell!  This bunch probably didn't help matters....  LOL   

Oh, well!  Good luck to Kyle and his family!

Who Could pass on this??????

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA
« Reply #2201 on: September 19, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »
Kyle's recruiting confirmed one thing for sure. Never ever take a kid at his word when he says he wants to stay home. And that is not a knock on Anderson. I believe at one point his feelings were honest that he wanted to stay close to home. However when kids get a little taste of life away from home, especially at a place like UCLA, they can easily get off that local kick. That can never be the sole reason we think or expect to land a recruit anymore because too much can change in that regard to a kids thinking.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:49:45 PM by SJUhoopNUT »

« Reply #2202 on: September 19, 2011, 10:48:45 PM »
Good luck Kyle.  He is a good kid.

I will say this, SHU fans made such a big stink over coaches being at events for Kyle over the summer.  Ironically Howland was probably the LEAST visible of all the coaches.  He failed to make a stop during the first couple of days.  Then at the last event at Hoop Group on July 31st not only did Howland not show but he did not even send an assistant. 

Those guys WAY overplayed that stuff.  If that was the only criterion SHU would have landed him a month ago.  Willard was there for every event, their fans did everything but show up at his house in the morning and brush his teeth and meet him at the airport for his visits.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:51:07 PM by fordham96 »

MCNPA

« Reply #2203 on: September 19, 2011, 10:48:56 PM »
Congrats to the kid, let's move on...

« Reply #2204 on: September 19, 2011, 10:52:48 PM »

I will say this, SHU fans made such a big stink over coaches being at events for Kyle over the summer.  Ironically Howland was probably the LEAST visible of all the coaches.  He failed to make a stop during the first couple of days.  Then at the last event at Hoop Group on July 31st not only did Howland not show but he did not even send an assistant. 

Those guys WAY overplayed that stuff.  If that was the only criterion KA would have landed him a month ago.  Willard was there for every event, their fans did everything but show up at his house in the morning and brush his teeth and meet him at the airport for his visits.

No kidding, fordham!  They made a big production about coaches showing up and whatnot.  I guess they had to psyche themselves out one way or another. 

IMO, it'll be awhile before they're in this situation again. 

« Reply #2205 on: September 20, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »

Those guys WAY overplayed that stuff.  If that was the only criterion KA would have landed him a month ago.  Willard was there for every event, their fans did everything but show up at his house in the morning and brush his teeth and meet him at the airport for his visits.

No kidding, fordham!  They made a big production about coaches showing up and whatnot.  I guess they had to psyche themselves out one way or another. 

IMO, it'll be awhile before they're in this situation again.
MJ, remember how you pooh-poohed the rabble rousers who said Kyle's dad directly referred to (supposedly Lavs) not being at a game and "it was noticed." LOL U were right - it had nothing to do with Lavs, and if Sr. had meant it, UCLA would have been out of the running!

miltk

« Reply #2206 on: September 20, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
Kyle's recruiting confirmed one thing for sure. Never ever take a kid at his word when he says he wants to stay home. And that is not a knock on Anderson. I believe at one point his feelings were honest that he wanted to stay close to home. However when kids get a little taste of life away from home, especially at a place like UCLA, they can easily get off that local kick. That can never be the sole reason we think or expect to land a recruit anymore because too much can change in that regard to a kids thinking.

cannot agree less. close to home is THE primary reason for kids choosing a school. you can't take what happened with kyle and apply a blanket statement. there were other factors at work, mainly, while many elites SAY they'd like to play together in college, apparently kyle meant it because this will lock up Bazz for ucla. kyle had ucla on his radar mainly because of bazz. i don't think is a "taste for life away from home scenario" either. it's not like kyle lives in tennessee,,,he's just a few miles from nyc.

kyle comes across as a thoughtful person, so i would suggest the reasons he gave for choosing ucla are exactly that...he needs work on his D and ben will give him that. ucla has put out all those pg's. and while howlands builds the groundwork, mccray will give anderson the polish as he trains pros(wall and howard) and prepares kids for the combines.

i think his heart IS with seton hall, but this is now business and his future. you put away childish things....throngs of cheering family and friends will not make kyle a better player - nba ready. no doubt in my mind also, that anderson played with a ton of nba players while at ucla's men's gym(SAC). lot's of "tips" are passed on from the pros to the kids there. kevin love got all kinds of work from garnett.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:45:37 PM by miltk »

« Reply #2207 on: September 20, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
Best of luck to Kyle.  UCLA is a great school with a great basketball program.

Where do we go from here?
@Coachnice persong

« Reply #2208 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:34 PM »
UCLA is a historical school but Ben is not as  good of a  coach to me as Lavin > Ben easily. The game vs UCLA showed that the coaching adjustments the fight in the players. It was just their size, Smith killed us!

Westbrook still can't run an offense as we saw in the playoffs

Anderson & Lee came in highly touted but barely left an imprint in college. Anderson is now suspend a couple of games

I don't buy he makes you NBA ready
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #2209 on: September 20, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »
UCLA is a historical school but Ben is not as  good of a  coach to me as Lavin > Ben easily. The game vs UCLA showed that the coaching adjustments the fight in the players. It was just their size, Smith killed us!

Westbrook still can't run an offense as we saw in the playoffs

Anderson & Lee came in highly touted but barely left an imprint in college. Anderson is now suspend a couple of games

solid provocative response resulting in long, fact driven post by crgreen in ....10...9...8...7...........2...1...lift off

« Reply #2210 on: September 20, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »
MJ, remember how you pooh-poohed the rabble rousers who said Kyle's dad directly referred to (supposedly Lavs) not being at a game and "it was noticed." LOL U were right - it had nothing to do with Lavs, and if Sr. had meant it, UCLA would have been out of the running!

Most of those guys were clowns, purist.  I kept telling them that Kyle's dad quote was taken out of context.  But, nooooooo!  They felt the head coach had to be at every, single game of Kyle's.  I didn't know what I was talking about and was only there to stir trouble.  Yeah....  Comical.

There was one particular game at the Peach Jam where Howland was nowhere to be found.  A UCLA assistant was there, but no Howland.  Or, was that assistant a clone of Howland's?  Willard (as, it's his job) was stalking Anderson more than the legion of underlings called Seton Hall fans.

This is to those Hall fans (who felt I was stirring the pot), and one of 'em in particular....

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #2211 on: September 20, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »

LOL !!
Maybe KA did not pick SH or ST J and instead went 3,000 miles away to UCLA to get as far away as possible from the SH troll fans!  :)

miltk

« Reply #2212 on: September 20, 2011, 11:05:10 PM »

well,,,the nba and it's scouts/coaches have bought into it and that's all that counts.

russell westbrook was the 2 while at ucla with some spot duty at pg when their pg was injured. he was not groomed as a pg. he has literally been learning the pg spot on the fly from day 1 while at okc. if you subscribe to the idea that the point is the hardest position to learn, then understand that westbrook had almost no college experience at the point and has helmed an okc team equally as young as him.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:26:27 PM by miltk »

« Reply #2213 on: September 20, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »

LOL !!
Maybe KA did not pick SH or ST J and instead went 3,000 miles away to UCLA to get as far away as possible from the SH troll fans!  :)
I swear I was thinking that last night when MJ put that picture up again.

The funniest thing is on the pirate board they had a thread about that picture and they were pretty good sports about that picture. And the thread was hilarious

One of the posters said and I'm paraphrasing " Chris Hansen is looking for some of you guys in the picture " LOL. Cracked me up

« Reply #2214 on: September 20, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »
Best of Luck at UCLA except when you play SJ.

Marillac

« Reply #2215 on: September 20, 2011, 11:24:21 PM »
Two things...

The best thing to come out of this for us is that we don't have to look at Kyle for four years..honestly one of the ugliest dudes I've seen in 2011.

I don't think he is a surefire NBA player.  He's unathletic and weak, and while he is supremely skilled, you can't have both of those weaknesses Nd expect to make the league. 

uwsfan

« Reply #2216 on: September 20, 2011, 11:45:11 PM »
I always thought he wasnt the best fit for the system Lavin is trying to implement. I refrained from saying so on this board during his recruitment, but i always thought that an ultra athletic, speedy guard like Phil Green is a better fit for us.

Kyle will be a good college player for ucla, but a PG with good footspeed and the ability to penetrate with consistency will be a better fit for St Johns
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:47:11 PM by uwsfan »

« Reply #2217 on: September 21, 2011, 03:27:43 AM »

well,,,the nba and it's scouts/coaches have bought into it and that's all that counts.

russell westbrook was the 2 while at ucla with some spot duty at pg when their pg was injured. he was not groomed as a pg. he has literally been learning the pg spot on the fly from day 1 while at okc. if you subscribe to the idea that the point is the hardest position to learn, then understand that westbrook had almost no college experience at the point and has helmed an okc team equally as young as him.

I agree with you 100% & i actually love westbrooks dedication & grow while in the NBA but I still don't see the player development from Ben that I saw with Lavin & company with just 1 year at the helm

I will admit Ben does preach D first so from that stand point I could understand.

Just a tough week for St.John fans , now Lets get some BIGS!!!!!
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

miltk

« Reply #2218 on: September 21, 2011, 04:33:03 AM »

I agree with you 100% & i actually love westbrooks dedication & grow while in the NBA but I still don't see the player development from Ben that I saw with Lavin & company with just 1 year at the helm

I will admit Ben does preach D first so from that stand point I could understand.

Just a tough week for St.John fans , now Lets get some BIGS!!!!!

personally i am not high on the idea of coaches input into player development when it comes to NBA READY. and i mean specifically the nba. That is a talent driven league based on pure raw talent/smarts. nba ready can be perceived in many ways, imo. does williams get his 5* players ready(there are NO 4* unc players in the nba. they were all top elites coming out of high school)? does calipari? did donovan teach noah to grow 3" in college? does ks#evs%tsbki kill his 5* talent? does miller get credit for lucking out on derick williams? players mature at a different rate,,,they "get it" at a different rate and this almost always is ascribed to a coach's coaching ability. i'm a believer in pure talent. but it's like this,,,whoever produces the product gets the glory.

pmg911

« Reply #2219 on: September 21, 2011, 07:22:16 AM »
@milktk - great post

I do think having guys like Rico Hines & Mike Dunlap can help kids understand the work it is going to take to get better but the talent is talent and that is an advantage for the St. John's program but I don't the coaches, at any school. can develop an NBA player in a year or two.