Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #240 on: June 18, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »
doesnt strike me as rice but I have no idea who it could be

I know Rutgers was in the running for him at one point.  So, I figured he could've been talking about Rice.  Needless to say, I think it's gonna come down to the Johnnies and G'town for Anderson's services.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:37:21 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #241 on: June 18, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
AdamZagoria Adam Zagoria
Villanova is not in @KyleAnderson`s top 5, per a text from his father.
2 minutes ago

« Reply #242 on: June 19, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »
AdamZagoria Adam Zagoria
Villanova is not in @KyleAnderson`s top 5, per a text from his father.
2 minutes ago

I was at the NBAPA yesterday (I am in Virginia at my sister's going to the US Open today) talking to a Playaz contact and he had no idea where Telep got the idea that Villanova is in and UCLA is out.

« Reply #243 on: June 19, 2011, 01:47:22 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....

Kyle Anderson (Jersey City, N.J./ St. Anthony)
2012, SF/PF/PG, 6-8, 215 pounds
He played mostly point guard during the camp and he was solid, but struggled some defensively. We would not call him a point guard but he is someone you definitely want to run your offense through. He is a great passer who knows how to create plays for both himself and others. He is not the fastest player, but his size and length make him very effective on offense -- especially when he is being guarded by post players.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6677911

« Reply #244 on: June 19, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »
Heard he did not play well this weekend.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #245 on: June 19, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
Heard he did not play well this weekend.

He didn't.  Gathers looked strong.  I am in a tent at the Open right now BTW LOL!!!

Another development was that Kareem Canty, a top PG prosepct for SHU that SHU fans thought they were in tight with, just announced his final 3 and SHU is off the list (Xavier, Miami and FSU).  So after missing out on Sterling Gibbs, Momo Jones, Omar Calhoun and now Canty it looks like SHU is pinning all their hopes on landing KA.

gman

« Reply #246 on: June 19, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »
Someone compared us to shu. Always the bridesmaid bit never the bride. I don't see them landing this elite kids with a coach with little track record

« Reply #247 on: June 19, 2011, 06:11:39 PM »
Someone compared us to shu. Always the bridesmaid bit never the bride. I don't see them landing this elite kids with a coach with little track record

It's not all on Willard but the guy's he brought in on the staff. All great people but they have a MAAC level resume.

« Reply #248 on: June 19, 2011, 08:57:38 PM »

It's not all on Willard but the guy's he brought in on the staff. All great people but they have a MAAC level resume.

At the same time I don't think he has much choice.  They don't pay staff members that well and quite frankly if you are a big time assistant coach the big thing you are looking to do is become a head coach.  To get that kind of advancement you are probably not going to join a young inexperienced staff at low pay for one of the toughest jobs in the BCS.

Those SHU guys wanted Willard to pursue Rohrssen after he was fired from Manhattan.  But Barry is not going to SHU as an assistant on top of the fact he has no relatiosnhip with any of their staff members. 

« Reply #249 on: June 19, 2011, 08:59:22 PM »

Yup, I said this as soon as Willard took that job. He should have waited another year or so in the MAAC-tough to turn down a Big East job though. Willard took his whole staff with him to Seton Hall

Gumby

« Reply #250 on: June 19, 2011, 11:09:54 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....

Kyle Anderson (Jersey City, N.J./ St. Anthony)
2012, SF/PF/PG, 6-8, 215 pounds
He played mostly point guard during the camp and he was solid, but struggled some defensively. We would not call him a point guard but he is someone you definitely want to run your offense through. He is a great passer who knows how to create plays for both himself and others. He is not the fastest player, but his size and length make him very effective on offense -- especially when he is being guarded by post players.

While this is only one report, it does seem to follow what a number of JJ posters have said about KA's pros and cons.  I am not that knowledgeable in the running of an offense, but can you have someone do that, or at least a major part of running an offense, from a non-PG position?  Is that what is meant by a Point Forward?

I just do not see a superior player like KA going the SH route.  There would just be too many unknowns with Coach Willard and his coaching.  KA is probably looking to go pro in a year or two.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:10:55 PM by Gumby »

gonzalo

« Reply #251 on: June 20, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »
http://recruitingspotlight.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/recruiting-notes-from-the-nbpa-top-100-camp-day-one/

On which coaching staff he has the best relationship with: “The Seton Hall coaches because I’ve known them for so long. I have a great relationship with the Georgetown coaches because coach Thompson has been recruiting me since my freshman year.”

pmg911

« Reply #252 on: June 20, 2011, 01:37:12 PM »
Seton Hall has a very strong chance of landing Kyle Anderson. It would not be a stretch at this point to say they could be the leader.

He is born & bred NJ and would have no problem staying home. If you know the kid and have followed him you understand how close he is with his Father. I think it will come down to SH & SJU.

**Also, Willard's top guy has been with him at every stop of the way and to say he has a "MAAC" resume is just not correct. Willard comes from Pitino's tree, as does his top assistant, so I would not exactly say they have a MAAC resume because of a couple of years at IONA.

pmg911

« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »
Fordham96 - i am having issue with the quote function on my work computer so i can respond correctly...

"Those SHU guys wanted Willard to pursue Rohrssen after he was fired from Manhattan.  But Barry is not going to SHU as an assistant on top of the fact he has no relatiosnhip with any of their staff members."

Where did you get this nonsense from.? Forget about the fact that SHU had zero interest in Barry. Barry is not even trying to get into coaching again for next season. He is actively trying to get a TV/radio gig for next year. Also, why would you think Barry would not take a high level Big East assistant job after getting FIRED from a bad MAAC team..?

« Reply #254 on: June 20, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
Hall cant afford Slice. Wouldn't call assitantship at the Hall "high level" neither.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #255 on: June 20, 2011, 02:59:37 PM »
Seton Hall has a very strong chance of landing Kyle Anderson. It would not be a stretch at this point to say they could be the leader.

He is born & bred NJ and would have no problem staying home. If you know the kid and have followed him you understand how close he is with his Father. I think it will come down to SH & SJU.

**Also, Willard's top guy has been with him at every stop of the way and to say he has a "MAAC" resume is just not correct. Willard comes from Pitino's tree, as does his top assistant, so I would not exactly say they have a MAAC resume because of a couple of years at IONA.

I did not say that Rohrssen would take the job, I said many of their fans were hoping SHU would go after him.  Please read the post.

And Shaheen Holloway is his top assistant and he was a former DOBO at SHU under Gonzo and then went to Iona to be an assistant.  He has no connections to Pitino.  McHale was a video coordinator for Pitino. McHale, Shaheen and Sauers were all at Iona with Willard.  Not one of them had been a major assistant prior to that.

Willard has been with Pitino since he was with the Celtics and then Louisville.  Hardly every step of the way.

And Norm was with Bill Self EVERY step of the way.  So does that make Norm a Big 12 hire rather then a major assistant hire?  And Norm tried to hire Slice upon being hired at SJU.

A strong staff is important.

I am not suggesting he won't make a good coach, he may.  But his staff is one of the weakest in the BE.  Anyone who sees this staff knows that.  But part of it is not his fault since they simply don't have the resources or connections to draw better staff members.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:03:01 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #256 on: June 20, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »
If you compare SHU staff to any other staff in the Big East its not even close. I know every guy on that staff from HC to Mgr. I work with them all very closely. I think they'd be the first to admit they're in an uphill battle. They are a very hard working group of guys but the facts are facts.

I think like Coach Roberts did a few years ago they took on some guys that they had no business adding. It's going to set them back.

« Reply #257 on: June 20, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »
If you compare SHU staff to any other staff in the Big East its not even close. I know every guy on that staff from HC to Mgr. I work with them all very closely. I think they'd be the first to admit they're in an uphill battle. They are a very hard working group of guys but the facts are facts.

I think like Coach Roberts did a few years ago they took on some guys that they had no business adding. It's going to set them back.

Agreed.  Even if you look at PC's staff now with the hire of Andre LaFleur from UCONN, they probably have a better staff then SHU.

It is just not a strong staff.  Yes they are doing a good job on Kyle and if they get him kudos.  But does anyone believe that if Kyle Anderson were not from Paterson, NJ but rather from Los Angeles, CA but had all the same attributes as he does now that SHU would be a finalist?  Yet you know coaches like Howland, JT III, Donovan and Lavin would have the type of nationwide connections to get involved with Kyle assuming he was from LA and not NJ.  That is the point.

Poison

« Reply #258 on: June 20, 2011, 04:03:37 PM »
Without knowing what Kyle Anderson is thinking, it seems like at the eve of the day, he'll choose us or a like school.
Seton Hall will be losing their two best players in Pope and Theodore.

Plus, it's not like Seton Hall has anyone else coming in that will strike fear into the heart of BE opponents.
Actually, they don't have anyone coming in that I've even heard of. It's a Norm-esque class for 11-12.

Gumby

« Reply #259 on: June 20, 2011, 11:55:46 PM »
I agree with the view of many posters that KA will not go to SH.  As already stated, the coaching staff needs work.  The current and incoming players are not FF bound.

KA and his Dad want maximum exposure to prepare for the NBA.  That means going to a FF hopeful team.  A team where KA can make more of a name for himself and perhaps win a NCAA title in the two years he will probably only be in college, if that long.