Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #940 on: August 22, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »
The whole feel of the recruiting just feels so different under Coach Lavin. In the past it felt like the dominoes had to fall just right for us to be even considered for a marquee player. Under the past regimes I felt our only only hope to land a top recruit was that either: the recruit had enough baggage that other schools stayed away (Lance, Lenny Cooke, Omar Cook) or the player was from NYC and wanted to stay in the area for college (our main chances for being mentioned with Landesberg and Fraser). Now, on the other hand, we are going after high-major recruits. We are going toe to toe with the blue-blood programs and we are beating them at their own game. We are going into other schools' backyards and getting their players.

I hope the reports that KA is a strong lean towards St. John's are true. However, if he decides to head elsewhere, we at least have the comfort of knowing that St. John's has a staff and roster in place that will keep us competitive for the foreseeable future. 

« Reply #941 on: August 22, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »
Taking in home visits sure doesn't sound like a kid who's made up his mind to me.  :coolsmiley:

Here is the deal, Mr. Passive-aggressive....  The family obviously do not wanna tip their hand and has played Kyle's recruitment very close to the vest.  IMO, the family want every school to feel they have a chance on his birthday.  It's not one I probably would choose.  OTOH, I have no problem with that scenario.  It adds to the drama, per se'.

Do whatever you need to do to believe you still have a shot, hoyahooligan aka Hoya1987.
Maybe, you do or don't.  You've already gone on record how you would be upset, if Kyle chooses St. John's.  Why is that?   

By the way, let the JJ board know how you feel about the Johnnies 2011 recruiting class and Lavin's players in the NBA.

I'm a guest here. I don't have any desire to run my mouth in a negative way against St. John's on a St. John's message board. I have manners. I'm not a huge fan of St. John's. We are rivals after all, not as big as Syracuse, but pretty high up on the list. But like I said I'm a guest and I'm trying not to be an ass on this board.  :angel:

Even though I don't think it was their fault, I can't help but think Gtown's recruiting will be affected by the China incident. Who would want to play for a team caught on camera getting pummeled and then running for their lives? Gtown despite being very removed from "Hoya Paranoia", still had a cool factor attached to the program. Now I think that is gone forever.

« Reply #942 on: August 22, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »
What a ridiculous thing to say.  Why do some feel a need to bash other teams? This was an embarrassing and unfortunate incident on an international stage.  In such a case, discretion is usually the better part of valor.

« Reply #943 on: August 22, 2011, 03:13:06 PM »
What a ridiculous thing to say.  Why do some feel a need to bash other teams? This was an embarrassing and unfortunate incident on an international stage.  In such a case, discretion is usually the better part of valor.

I agree it was very embarrasing for Gtown. And I do take enjoyment from that having witnessed Chris Mullin basically have to spend 40 minutes going through something out of a scene  from OZ  every Gtown game. I do have a question of my own. Why do some people feel the need to comment on a post on a SJU fan forum that was clearly in jest?

« Reply #944 on: August 22, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »
Jerry Meyer has a larger piece about the rise of SJU basketball including the recent commitment of Wood.  Nice quote from Kyle's dad:

"St. John's has a good a shot to get Kyle as anyone," said Anderson's father Kyle Anderson, Sr. "Kyle does want to play in the Garden, and Steve Lavin is bringing in talent. Kyle knows he is only as good as the players around him."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1254936

« Reply #945 on: August 22, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »
Jerry Meyer has a larger piece about the rise of SJU basketball including the recent commitment of Wood.  Nice quote from Kyle's dad:

"St. John's has a good a shot to get Kyle as anyone," said Anderson's father Kyle Anderson, Sr. "Kyle does want to play in the Garden, and Steve Lavin is bringing in talent. Kyle knows he is only as good as the players around him."

Practically, another "Batman and Robin" analogy.

« Reply #946 on: August 22, 2011, 04:32:36 PM »
wow. 

i'm sorry Seton Hall Fans, but no way in hell is KA staying in Jersey.  The kid is a winner.   He and his dad want him to be surrounded by a winning, dynamic culture. 

It comes down to us and FL.

« Reply #947 on: August 22, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »

I agree it was very embarrasing for Gtown. And I do take enjoyment from that having witnessed Chris Mullin basically have to spend 40 minutes going through something out of a scene  from OZ  every Gtown game. I do have a question of my own. Why do some people feel the need to comment on a post on a SJU fan forum that was clearly in jest?

Some people need a flashing button that reads "Sarcasm" to get it.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #948 on: August 22, 2011, 04:37:22 PM »
Anyone would refuse a free trip to Gainesville is crazy.

« Reply #949 on: August 22, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »
Anyone would refuse a free trip to Gainesville is crazy.

i also wonder how much norm being in FL plays into him going for the visit.  if norm has been on him the last couple of years, there may be a sense of a familial/friendly bond between the anderson's and norm(?)

« Reply #950 on: August 22, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »
Just was looking at Florida's roster and incoming & boy are they loaded at guard.
Here's a rivals write up from last month- pretty well written.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-florida_enjoys_wealth_of_riches_at_guard_072411

With such strong very highly rated guards, I doubt Kyle ever plays PG there.
They appear to be undersized. They also have a verbal from a top 20 PG already for '12.
Not sure what Donovan is telling him, but they actually need him as a 3/4
They are deeper than us and they are overloaded @ PG & SG
Molloy '71

« Reply #951 on: August 22, 2011, 06:35:37 PM »
they have real good guards but walker will be gone and the rest are more 2s than points. Still think we give him the best shot at excelling however
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

crgreen

« Reply #952 on: August 22, 2011, 07:23:55 PM »
Taking in home visits sure doesn't sound like a kid who's made up his mind to me.  :coolsmiley:

Here is the deal, Mr. Passive-aggressive....  The family obviously do not wanna tip their hand and has played Kyle's recruitment very close to the vest.  IMO, the family want every school to feel they have a chance on his birthday.  It's not one I probably would choose.  OTOH, I have no problem with that scenario.  It adds to the drama, per se'.

Do whatever you need to do to believe you still have a shot, hoyahooligan aka Hoya1987.
Maybe, you do or don't.  You've already gone on record how you would be upset, if Kyle chooses St. John's.  Why is that?   

By the way, let the JJ board know how you feel about the Johnnies 2011 recruiting class and Lavin's players in the NBA.

I'm a guest here. I don't have any desire to run my mouth in a negative way against St. John's on a St. John's message board. I have manners. I'm not a huge fan of St. John's. We are rivals after all, not as big as Syracuse, but pretty high up on the list. But like I said I'm a guest and I'm trying not to be an ass on this board.  :angel:

Even though I don't think it was their fault, I can't help but think Gtown's recruiting will be affected by the China incident. Who would want to play for a team caught on camera getting pummeled and then running for their lives? Gtown despite being very removed from "Hoya Paranoia", still had a cool factor attached to the program. Now I think that is gone forever.

It took a long time for Ohio State to recover from the images of Luke Witte, Alan Hornyak and the rest of the team getting pummeled by Bill Musselman's Minnesota Gophers - Ron Behagen and Clyde Turner would be suspended for the year, and the 7' All American Witte would NEVER be the same player.   It's funny -most folks don't even realize Ohio State WON that game.   The perception was they were victims and losers.   And this was BEFORE the internet age.  No telling what THAT incident going viral might have done to the schools....

1972 College Basketball Brawl - Minnesota vs Ohio Buckeyes

gman

« Reply #953 on: August 22, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »

That does not bode well for SHU.  Good to hear some positive quotes directed at SJU.

Moose

« Reply #954 on: August 22, 2011, 10:55:18 PM »

That does not bode well for SHU.  Good to hear some positive quotes directed at SJU.

Gtown fans are also annoyed as Meyer never mentioned Gtown supposedly.  When questioned he claimed he had long talk with Kyle's dad and he never mentioned Gtown once.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #955 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:35 PM »

Gtown fans are also annoyed as Meyer never mentioned Gtown supposedly.  When questioned he claimed he had long talk with Kyle's dad and he never mentioned Gtown once.

I'm gonna assume this is per G'town's Rivals site.

Moose

« Reply #956 on: August 22, 2011, 11:54:27 PM »

Rivalshoops.com Message board.  I don't go to specific team sites.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:54:50 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #957 on: August 23, 2011, 06:00:08 AM »
This whole saga sure makes for an interesting recruitment.  We havent been in any real battles at all for recruits under Lavin.  This is the first time that fans of all 5 teams think they're  in the crux of it.  Regardless of what happens is has certainly been fascinating.  At least the balance doesn't hang on one recruit like it used to for the last 20 years.  During that time we'd wait it out for a single recruit to turn this thing around. No matter where Kyle chooses, SJU is going to be in excellent shape.  Still think we'll land him though.

gman

« Reply #958 on: August 23, 2011, 07:52:45 AM »

Rivalshoops.com Message board.  I don't go to specific team sites.

For gtown you have to read hoyasaxa. It's their main board

« Reply #959 on: August 23, 2011, 09:56:13 AM »
Along with Meyer Zags now has a tweet claiming SJU and UCLA stand out.