Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA
« Reply #2280 on: October 25, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »
Kyle Anderson who?!

Very much prefer Phil Greene as the pg next year.

Greene is a future NBA pg. Not so sure about Kyle

Disagree with everything you said here, but Greene does look like a player.

pmg911

« Reply #2281 on: February 29, 2012, 08:26:13 AM »
Wonder if this pending article is going to cause Kyle to re-think his decision because from what I am hearing this morning, Howland is done at the end of the year.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/28/report-sports-illustrated-expected-to-release-highly-negative-article-on-ucla-basketball-program/

Marillac

« Reply #2282 on: February 29, 2012, 08:31:06 AM »
Wonder if this pending article is going to cause Kyle to re-think his decision because from what I am hearing this morning, Howland is done at the end of the year.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/28/report-sports-illustrated-expected-to-release-highly-negative-article-on-ucla-basketball-program/

I'm wondering the same thing.  UCLA is in a rough spot now and will face a coaching change.  Maybe there I some hope for the Johnnies here.  KA and his pops have to be I
Pressed with what we've done this year.

« Reply #2283 on: February 29, 2012, 08:33:25 AM »
the article is up on the ipad.  should be up soon on main site.  here is someone's breakdown of the story:

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2012/2/29/2832533/sports-illustrated-exposes-howland-and-guerrero-for-wrecking-ucla

kjd01067

« Reply #2284 on: February 29, 2012, 09:18:20 AM »
I wonder what that crazy ass Seton Hall fan's percentages are now...

« Reply #2285 on: February 29, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
Anderson,Sampson,Obepka,Morris and Fludd. Now that would be an insane class

boo3

« Reply #2286 on: February 29, 2012, 10:03:20 AM »
Anderson,Sampson,Obepka,Morris and Fludd. Now that would be an insane class

Could you imagine?

While i doubt the above will happen i do feel that we will all be pleasantly surprised and happy when the book is closed of 2012 recruiting.

LapCHICK1 would have a coronary.

DFF6

« Reply #2287 on: February 29, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
Here is the link to the full article. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a1

After reading it, all I can say is, holy crap, someone at SI really hates Howland to go out of their way to write such an article out of the blue.  Lavin's tenure with UCLA is briefly mentioned in the context as Lavin being a great recruiter, but his teams lacked discipline, which was why Howland was brought in, and now Howland's teams ironically are now known to suffer from the same issue.  Not sure if K Anderson will have second thoughts about his commitment, but it certainly will hurt UCLA's chances to pick up any other top recruits for 2012 and beyond.

NYCoffey

« Reply #2288 on: February 29, 2012, 11:12:03 AM »
I think that even if Howland left Anderson would still go there. I believe he signed his LOI which  isn't an automatic to get out of. He also really seemed to like the college and atmosphere out there. I'm sure Howland played a part in his commitment but it seemed like he liked everything about UCLA. And even if They fire Howland, UCLA is going to bring in a very good coach.

« Reply #2289 on: February 29, 2012, 11:35:32 AM »
you can read the entire article here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html

UCLA basketball has always had its own special shine, and any tarnish has never been tolerated for long. As tempting as it is to blame immature players -- and they deserve a heavy dose -- the team members who spoke to SI were unanimous in their belief that leadership from Howland would have prevented or at least curtailed the damage. Says one, "Can you imagine the same thing happening at Duke? Can you imagine players getting away with that stuff under Coach K?"

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html#ixzz1nn0U8OjM

« Reply #2290 on: February 29, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »
I wonder what that crazy ass Seton Hall fan's percentages are now...
0.1% SJ's, 99.9 % SHU - ha ha ha

gman

« Reply #2291 on: February 29, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a1

After reading it, all I can say is, holy crap, someone at SI really hates Howland to go out of their way to write such an article out of the blue.  Lavin's tenure with UCLA is briefly mentioned in the context as Lavin being a great recruiter, but his teams lacked discipline, which was why Howland was brought in, and now Howland's teams ironically are now known to suffer from the same issue.  Not sure if K Anderson will have second thoughts about his commitment, but it certainly will hurt UCLA's chances to pick up any other top recruits for 2012 and beyond.

This article reads more tmz than si

pmg911

« Reply #2292 on: February 29, 2012, 12:17:49 PM »
If you are Kyle Sr, do you want your son going 3,000 miles away to play for the guy described in the article.?

I think there is a solid chance Howland gets canned at the end of the year.

« Reply #2293 on: February 29, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »
If you are Kyle Sr, do you want your son going 3,000 miles away to play for the guy described in the article.?

Bruinsnation.com wants both the AD and Howland gone:

"But the alumni and the fan base better damn well come calling to Chancellor Block this morning. In the end, it is clear that neither Ben Howland nor Dan Guerrero deserve their jobs in Westwood any longer. It is time to find a new AD immediately. The new AD should find a replacement for Howland at the end of this season. As the tittle states, this is not the UCLA way, and as people who love and support UCLA - and the UCLA way - we should not tolerate this any longer."

« Reply #2294 on: February 29, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
It doesn't help that the football program has also been in a shambles for years now.   Luckily for Guerrero the Women's Volleyball team won the natty this year and the men's water polo team lost in the national championship, though losing to USC might not help.  ; )

« Reply #2295 on: February 29, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »
you can read the entire article here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html

UCLA basketball has always had its own special shine, and any tarnish has never been tolerated for long. As tempting as it is to blame immature players -- and they deserve a heavy dose -- the team members who spoke to SI were unanimous in their belief that leadership from Howland would have prevented or at least curtailed the damage. Says one, "Can you imagine the same thing happening at Duke? Can you imagine players getting away with that stuff under Coach K?"

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html#ixzz1nn0U8OjM
Wow - damning article.  Most telling quote: ""Guys drinking, guys doing drugs, guys not taking practice seriously, guys fighting," said one player. "You won't find that on the Pyramid of Success."
Plus, Howland apparently lied and lacks integrity if this is true: "On April 15, less than a month after the season ended, Howland summoned to his office one of the student managers, a sophomore who was known to party with the players. The manager had mentioned to an assistant coach that some players drank and smoked marijuana too often during the season and that they needed to get more serious for UCLA to improve.
Howland told the manager that he needed to know who those players were and exactly what they were doing. The manager refused to name names, so Howland told the manager that if he didn't tell him, he would be terminated."I tried to be vague at first, told him some of the freshmen had problems, but he kept on me," says the manager. "I was just a college student, and Coach Howland is telling me I have to tell him everything."The manager eventually told Howland what he knew, but the coach still terminated him. According to the manager, Howland said, "You are just as guilty as the players."

« Reply #2296 on: February 29, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »

This article reads more tmz than si
Not totally - direct quotes from players - this writer most likely wasn't fabricating quotes.

Plus with this passage, it seems Ben was also running a rehab center in addition to his coaching duties.

When asked by SI why he didn't discipline Nelson, Howland said in a statement: "I firmly believe in the philosophy of giving all of my players the chance to do things the right way. There have been challenges with some student-athletes during my tenure here at UCLA, and we have utilized plenty of resources to help them, the specifics of which very few people would know anything about."
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:37:55 PM by bball purist »

LJSA

« Reply #2297 on: February 29, 2012, 12:38:25 PM »

The worst part is I think if he wasn't five seasons removed from his last Final Four, they'd keep him. Restless boosters were looking for a reason to get him booted, and now they have it.

Can't wait for CRGreen to weigh in on this.

tnice

« Reply #2298 on: February 29, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »

The guy described in the article totally caters to his star players no matter how they behave. I'm sure Kyle Sr. doesnt mind that one bit.

Poison

« Reply #2299 on: February 29, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »
"One player said if he saw Howland waiting for the elevator he would take the stairs."

That would never happen at Alumni Hall. They don't have an elevator.