Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....  Anderson was considered one of the top three versatile players at the Kevin Durant Skills Academy.  I also noticed they have him now listed at 6'9".

Kyle Anderson (Fairview, N.J./St. Anthony)
2012, SF/PF, 6-9, 226 pounds
Anderson is a true point forward who does a great job of rebounding and pushing the ball on the break, where he is an excellent passer and decision-maker with the ball. He also can start the half-court offense and is a tough matchup at the forward position. He also likes to go to work in the low post, where he uses his great length, skill and feel to score or pass to an open teammate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6715448

NYCoffey

« Reply #282 on: June 30, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »

NYCoffey

« Reply #283 on: June 30, 2011, 11:43:35 AM »
Missed it.

« Reply #284 on: July 01, 2011, 07:03:57 PM »
Why Kyle will land at SJU per Coast2Coast Recruiting.  Again just an opinion piece but worth a read.  I'm sold!!!  LOL!!!

http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/2011/07/breaking-down-kyle-andersons-top-5/

Breaking Down Kyle Anderson’s Top 5
By Eric Hampford– July 1, 2011
Posted in: Coast 2 Coast Recruiting, Original Content

Last month, Kyle Anderson made it known that he had narrowed down his list of potential college destinations to a final five. The schools that are lucky enough to potentially land the ultra-talented Anderson are Florida, Georgetown, Seton Hall, St. John’s, and UCLA. Last week, he made it known that he will most likely be making a decision before his senior season starts. As the July recruiting period heats up, there will be much speculation and rumors about where Kyle Anderson will be signing to play college basketball. Before the recruiting drama goes into high gear this month, I am going to break down each of the remaining schools on Anderson’s list…and tell you which school I believe he will eventually sign with.

#5. Seton Hall  - The Pirates were extremely lucky to even land on this list. They are the hometown school for Anderson, and though hometown schools tend to get a serious look from most top prospects, Seton Hall’s inability to compete in the “kill or be killed” Big East is what makes them the longshot to land him, regardless of who their coach is.

#4 Georgetown – The Hoyas, in my mind, are a middle-of-the pack contender to gain the star recruits services. They have a great coach in John Thompson III, they are a very respected program nationally, they send players to the NBA at a decent rate, they are moderately close to home, and they play the Princeton offense, which Anderson said he likes. Though these all seem to point to him signing at Georgetown, I just don’t see him ending up in Washington D.C.

# 3  Florida  - Billy Donovan has proven that he is great in the department of player development, and that has definitely caught the eye of Anderson. They play at the electric “O’Dome”, one of the best venues in all of college basketball, they have a contingent of players who have moved on to the NBA, and their roster for the 2012 season could entice him. Potentially, he could team with Kenny Boynton, Mike Rosario, Brad Beal, and Patrick Young. With a nucleus like that, the Gators would legitimately be Final Four candidates, maybe even 2012 National Championship contenders.

#2 UCLA  - Though times have been tough recently for the Bruins, the 2012 recruiting class could be the one to turn it all around for the national power. Jordan Adams has already committed to UCLA, and it is speculated that a number of prospects could follow him, including Shabazz Muhammad, Shaq Goodwin, L.J. Rose, and Dominic Artis. If the UCLA program can land three out of those four prospects, that could pull Anderson to Westwood to help power this monster recruiting class. However, I think that too much is going to depend on this class for him to end up out west, and as we all know, many times the hype usually does not pan out with speculated monster recruiting classes. Also, Anderson has stated that he wants to play point guard in college, and Rose and Artis are both point guards. It may all come down to who commits where first, and the dominos will fall from there.

#1 St. John’s  - When the smoke clears on Kyle Anderson’s recruitment, I believe that he will end up playing for Steve Lavin at St. John’s. There are just too many reasons for him to stay in the Big Apple and star for the Johnnies. First and foremost, Coach Lav can flat-out recruit. He has proven that with his monster 2011 recruiting class. Next, he has only coached the Red Storm for one season, and already he has them on the way back to national supremacy. Who can forget the spanking they put on Duke at MSG this year? Speaking of Madison Square Garden, it’s going to be hard to turn down playing home games at what is considered to be the mecca of basketball arenas in the entire world. St. John’s is also another home school for Anderson. He will be able to play for a quality program, while also being able to enjoy the comforts of home. Lastly, what most recruits want is to be able to come in and compete for a national championship. After Lavin’s haul of elite talent for the 2011-2012 season, I’d expect super sophomores Norvel Pelle, D’Angelo Harrison, Maurice Harkless, Sir’Dominic Pointer, Jakarr Sampson, and Amir Garrett all to team with Anderson to form one of most exciting, young teams in the country.

MCNPA

« Reply #285 on: July 01, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »
Why Kyle will land at SJU per Coast2Coast Recruiting.  Again just an opinion piece but worth a read.  I'm sold!!!  LOL!!!

http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/2011/07/breaking-down-kyle-andersons-top-5/

Breaking Down Kyle Anderson’s Top 5
By Eric Hampford– July 1, 2011
Posted in: Coast 2 Coast Recruiting, Original Content

Last month, Kyle Anderson made it known that he had narrowed down his list of potential college destinations to a final five. The schools that are lucky enough to potentially land the ultra-talented Anderson are Florida, Georgetown, Seton Hall, St. John’s, and UCLA. Last week, he made it known that he will most likely be making a decision before his senior season starts. As the July recruiting period heats up, there will be much speculation and rumors about where Kyle Anderson will be signing to play college basketball. Before the recruiting drama goes into high gear this month, I am going to break down each of the remaining schools on Anderson’s list…and tell you which school I believe he will eventually sign with.

#5. Seton Hall  - The Pirates were extremely lucky to even land on this list. They are the hometown school for Anderson, and though hometown schools tend to get a serious look from most top prospects, Seton Hall’s inability to compete in the “kill or be killed” Big East is what makes them the longshot to land him, regardless of who their coach is.

#4 Georgetown – The Hoyas, in my mind, are a middle-of-the pack contender to gain the star recruits services. They have a great coach in John Thompson III, they are a very respected program nationally, they send players to the NBA at a decent rate, they are moderately close to home, and they play the Princeton offense, which Anderson said he likes. Though these all seem to point to him signing at Georgetown, I just don’t see him ending up in Washington D.C.

# 3  Florida  - Billy Donovan has proven that he is great in the department of player development, and that has definitely caught the eye of Anderson. They play at the electric “O’Dome”, one of the best venues in all of college basketball, they have a contingent of players who have moved on to the NBA, and their roster for the 2012 season could entice him. Potentially, he could team with Kenny Boynton, Mike Rosario, Brad Beal, and Patrick Young. With a nucleus like that, the Gators would legitimately be Final Four candidates, maybe even 2012 National Championship contenders.

#2 UCLA  - Though times have been tough recently for the Bruins, the 2012 recruiting class could be the one to turn it all around for the national power. Jordan Adams has already committed to UCLA, and it is speculated that a number of prospects could follow him, including Shabazz Muhammad, Shaq Goodwin, L.J. Rose, and Dominic Artis. If the UCLA program can land three out of those four prospects, that could pull Anderson to Westwood to help power this monster recruiting class. However, I think that too much is going to depend on this class for him to end up out west, and as we all know, many times the hype usually does not pan out with speculated monster recruiting classes. Also, Anderson has stated that he wants to play point guard in college, and Rose and Artis are both point guards. It may all come down to who commits where first, and the dominos will fall from there.

#1 St. John’s  - When the smoke clears on Kyle Anderson’s recruitment, I believe that he will end up playing for Steve Lavin at St. John’s. There are just too many reasons for him to stay in the Big Apple and star for the Johnnies. First and foremost, Coach Lav can flat-out recruit. He has proven that with his monster 2011 recruiting class. Next, he has only coached the Red Storm for one season, and already he has them on the way back to national supremacy. Who can forget the spanking they put on Duke at MSG this year? Speaking of Madison Square Garden, it’s going to be hard to turn down playing home games at what is considered to be the mecca of basketball arenas in the entire world. St. John’s is also another home school for Anderson. He will be able to play for a quality program, while also being able to enjoy the comforts of home. Lastly, what most recruits want is to be able to come in and compete for a national championship. After Lavin’s haul of elite talent for the 2011-2012 season, I’d expect super sophomores Norvel Pelle, D’Angelo Harrison, Maurice Harkless, Sir’Dominic Pointer, Jakarr Sampson, and Amir Garrett all to team with Anderson to form one of most exciting, young teams in the country.

Sounds good to me.  That is what I hope happens... :) :)  I will say that Lavin has cast a small net in the 2012 class.  He cast his net on Jevon Thomas whom he already landed as well as Anderson and Gathers.  Lavin is a sniper and my guess would be that he would already be re-loading lookin at other 2012 kids if he didn't think we have a fantastic shot with both Kyle Anderson and Gathers.  I have a good feeling about both Kyle Anderson as well as Gathers here. 

Interestingly enough, there is talk about Georgetown and the Princeton offense, but SJU runs Pete Newell's reverse motion offense which is also quite complex, difficult and could certainly showcase Kyle's talents.  The difference is that SJU also likes to run on offense as well as play lots of zone D, all aspects that would really suit Anderson's game.  Couple that with the fact that SJU is close to home, has a great staff and lots of talent surrounding him.  It's a no brainer for SJU IMO... ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:21:12 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #286 on: July 02, 2011, 03:25:28 AM »
Seems logical to me.  Too bad this writer isnt Kyle himself, then we'd be in good shape. 

Kyle keeps saying he wants to play point in college. Guys like Harrison said Lavin doesnt BS in the recruitment process.    I just dont see Lavin giving in and guaranteeing pg to him.   

I think other schools can and will take that pg risk.   We'll see how important PG is to Kyle when he makes his decision.  Then again, i know a lot less than this writer does, so hopefully he's on the money. 

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:27:47 AM by B-Squared »

gonzalo

« Reply #287 on: July 02, 2011, 07:30:55 AM »
Good. UCLA as option number two is surprising.

MCNPA

« Reply #288 on: July 02, 2011, 09:23:02 AM »
Seems logical to me.  Too bad this writer isnt Kyle himself, then we'd be in good shape. 

Kyle keeps saying he wants to play point in college. Guys like Harrison said Lavin doesnt BS in the recruitment process.    I just dont see Lavin giving in and guaranteeing pg to him.   

I think other schools can and will take that pg risk.   We'll see how important PG is to Kyle when he makes his decision.  Then again, i know a lot less than this writer does, so hopefully he's on the money.

Once again though, Kyle might be given some time at the point, but there isn't any upper level d1 team out there that isnt going to have at minimum another 1or 2 top players that are competing at the PG spot.  SJU is bringing in Jevon and there is some suspicion that if Nuri has a decent year, he might test NBA waters.  It's not like there's is a logjam at guard, considering the circumstances.  I think Phil Greene is more of a SG for us.  Kyle is also almost 6'9" and his future is going to include more of a point forward role, because he doesn't have the foot speed nor athleticism of a Lebron James at the same height.  The kid is going to have to come to grips with a role that is some hybrid forward, with some PG duties I think.

Poison

« Reply #289 on: July 02, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »
I've never seen anything written about Phil that says he's anything but a PG.
I seriously hope that he has no intention of playing shooting guard.

MCNPA

« Reply #290 on: July 02, 2011, 10:59:22 AM »

Never seen anything written?? :o  Scout, Rivals, ESPN all have him listed as a SG.  Just about everything written about Phil Greene has him listed as a shooting guard.

« Reply #291 on: July 02, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »

Never seen anything written?? :o  Scout, Rivals, ESPN all have him listed as a SG.  Just about everything written about Phil Greene has him listed as a shooting guard.

im with mcnpa on this one. what ive read is hes a shooting guard that can play the point but im sure hell play some point this year
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #292 on: July 02, 2011, 11:29:17 AM »

im with mcnpa on this one. what ive read is hes a shooting guard that can play the point but im sure hell play some point this year

Yes, Greene is listed as a SG....  Although, I would consider Greene to be more of a combo guard.

I'm looking forward to getting another peek at Anderson in about 10 days.

LJSA

« Reply #293 on: July 02, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »
Would Kyle view playing power forward but bringing the ball up court every time the same as playing point guard?

Gumby

« Reply #294 on: July 02, 2011, 04:27:23 PM »
What exactly are the duties of a point forward?  Is it being an alternative to the PG in bringing the ball up court, instead of relying on the SG, when the PG is being pressed?

On Phil Greene, all that I saw about him was he was giving us another SG option, so the reference to him being a PG was a surprise.

On Mo's thread someone mentioned about KA coming on campus a few times this summer to check out our incoming team.  It seems to me that this is an excellent way for a recruit like to KA to help him sort out his college options.  Afterall, they would be his team mates for at least one year.  He will have to work with these guys to achieve his goal of the NBA.

MCNPA

« Reply #295 on: July 02, 2011, 06:36:01 PM »
What exactly are the duties of a point forward?  Is it being an alternative to the PG in bringing the ball up court, instead of relying on the SG, when the PG is being pressed?

On Phil Greene, all that I saw about him was he was giving us another SG option, so the reference to him being a PG was a surprise.

On Mo's thread someone mentioned about KA coming on campus a few times this summer to check out our incoming team.  It seems to me that this is an excellent way for a recruit like to KA to help him sort out his college options.  Afterall, they would be his team mates for at least one year.  He will have to work with these guys to achieve his goal of the NBA.

Per Wikipedia, even though an imperfect source:

"A point forward is usually described as a forward (either a small forward or a power forward) who possesses the ball handling skills and court vision to bring the ball up the court and to initiate the team's offense. Having the ball in the point forward's hands increases offensive mobility by allowing guards to move without the ball and create plays when they receive the ball. Point forwards also need to be competent ball handlers and passers. As such, the point forward is a particularly viable option for teams with offensively skilled shooting guards or combo guards playing on the court."

Seems to me that with the type of athletic scoring guards we have like Lindsey, Harrison, Greene, Jevon and other forwards, that Kyle Anderson fits that description perfectly.

« Reply #296 on: July 02, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »

Per Wikipedia, even though an imperfect source:

"A point forward is usually described as a forward (either a small forward or a power forward) who possesses the ball handling skills and court vision to bring the ball up the court and to initiate the team's offense. Having the ball in the point forward's hands increases offensive mobility by allowing guards to move without the ball and create plays when they receive the ball. Point forwards also need to be competent ball handlers and passers. As such, the point forward is a particularly viable option for teams with offensively skilled shooting guards or combo guards playing on the court."

Seems to me that with the type of athletic scoring guards we have like Lindsey, Harrison, Greene, Jevon and other forwards, that Kyle Anderson fits that description perfectly.

Im under the impression that Jevon is a prototypical point guard, either way KA would look great playing alongside him and the rest of the guards

crgreen

« Reply #297 on: July 02, 2011, 08:43:56 PM »
On a certain other schools boards I follow (also one of Kyles final 5), I'm stunned by the number of posters who don't want the kid.  Don't want a 6'8 PG - and if he'g going to insist on getting a shot at PG, then he isn't worth the trouble.

Their reasoning for not wanting him?  He couldn't possibly defend the 6' PGs that dominate that conference (of course they've never seen him play - and I don't recall Tark having a problem with Reggie Theus's D back in the day!).   But one think I can never get them to answer is - if "D" is foremost on their minds, why aren't they salivating at these 6'0 PGS having to try to defend a Power Forward sized point at the other end?  MY  take is that Kyle is far more likely to be succesful defending the smaller PGS than the Smaller PGS figure to be trying to defend HIM.   How could they even begin sto stop interior passing over the top?  How in the world are they going stop him from posting up inside.  They could collapse in a double team.  But then a PF or C is going to be wide open with this years Rivals #1 PG in High School with the ball in his hands, being double teamed by 6'0 guards....

Take the talent.  Period.

« Reply #298 on: July 02, 2011, 10:27:54 PM »
exactly cr. mismatches work both ways

MCNPA

« Reply #299 on: July 02, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
exactly cr. mismatches work both ways

Good point is right.  Wonder how a guy like Shabazz Napier would like a 6'9" PG backing him down and the subsequent SJU alley oop of the inevitable double team.  Whatever role he plays, he's a valuable player to have.