Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

Moose

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #460 on: July 15, 2011, 11:44:31 PM »
Zagoria Tweeted:

Kyle Anderson Sr. will not end up as an assistant coach or on the staff at his son's college, multiple sources with knowledge told SNY.tv.

question for those who understand the regulations of the NCAA: how would this have been allowable if Mo Hicks can't have kids he coached in the last 2 years attend our school.  Did his father coach him AAU ball?  if so wouldn't the 2 year rule apply?

Its an actual coaching position.  Hicks isn't an assistant coach.  He's a Director of Basketball.  If your an assistant coach the rule does not apply.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #461 on: July 15, 2011, 11:46:15 PM »
BTW, I do not think this means SH can't land Kyle A. I still respect them, and consider them a dangerous threat.

« Reply #462 on: July 16, 2011, 12:13:04 AM »
BTW, I do not think this means SH can't land Kyle A. I still respect them, and consider them a dangerous threat.

Likewise....  From what I've heard and believe, I still believe they may pose more of a threat to the Johnnies than the other schools involved.

Marillac

« Reply #463 on: July 16, 2011, 02:00:52 AM »

Likewise....  From what I've heard and believe, I still believe they may pose more of a threat to the Johnnies than the other schools involved.

Sorry...just can't agree.  There is no way an intelligent father like KA senior allows his son to go to a situation like Seton Hall.  Look at the talent Rutgers has brought in...even Rutgers will have trouble competing with the absurd talent St. John's has coming.  Seton Hall is a distant third locally and not even in the top 10 in the Big East.

I think this is going to play out like a Norm Roberts recruitment of a local star.  SH will remain on the list because playing close to home is very appealing and coach Willard is a great guy, but in the end Willard is a year or two away from being fired and SH doesn't have the athletes or the resources to compete. 

I'm much more worried about Florida and G'town.  I think St. Jons is too good of a fit in the end.  Funny that MSG is actually closer than the Prudential Center to Paterson. 

MCNPA

« Reply #464 on: July 16, 2011, 06:43:31 AM »

Sorry...just can't agree.  There is no way an intelligent father like KA senior allows his son to go to a situation like Seton Hall.  Look at the talent Rutgers has brought in...even Rutgers will have trouble competing with the absurd talent St. John's has coming.  Seton Hall is a distant third locally and not even in the top 10 in the Big East.

I think this is going to play out like a Norm Roberts recruitment of a local star.  SH will remain on the list because playing close to home is very appealing and coach Willard is a great guy, but in the end Willard is a year or two away from being fired and SH doesn't have the athletes or the resources to compete. 

I'm much more worried about Florida and G'town.  I think St. Jons is too good of a fit in the end.  Funny that MSG is actually closer than the Prudential Center to Paterson.

Not saying that Seton Hall is not a threat, but I agree with Marillac here.  I don't see Seton Hall being a good choice at this point for Kyle.  Georgetown and Florida worry me more.   I think Georgetown is our biggest threat because they have a proven coach, and a style that Kyle can fit into. It's close enough proximity to home (NJ) to make them a threat.  I not sure why he would choose the Hall at this point other than the fact that it is in NJ.

Gumby

« Reply #465 on: July 16, 2011, 07:58:54 AM »

I'm much more worried about Florida and G'town.  I think St. Johns is too good of a fit in the end.  Funny that MSG is actually closer than the Prudential Center to Paterson.

I agree!

As I stated in an earlier post, the KA situation with SH does bring back bad memories of Coach Roberts and his recruitment of top NY-area talent.  He could not land the big time players despite being a nice guy and being close to the recruits' homes.

While any thing is possible, the race for KA has to be between us and the Hoyas.  Work your wonders, Coach Lavin!

MCNPA

« Reply #466 on: July 16, 2011, 08:14:28 AM »
Zagoria Tweeted:

Kyle Anderson Sr. will not end up as an assistant coach or on the staff at his son's college, multiple sources with knowledge told SNY.tv.

Good to see it debunked.

Logen

« Reply #467 on: July 16, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
Is this whole KA Sr. thing totally speculation on what Seton Hall could possibly do in order to land Kyle, or is there some kind of rumor that its based off of? From what I see from this thread it went from a "what if" Seton Hall hires KA sr., to more of a "I cant believe they are trying to do this." Just curious if this is something that somebody has heard as an actual possibility, or if everyone is thinking outside the box on how Seton Hall could possibly land Kyle.

Notice how the posters who are known to be insiders haven't shot down the speculation? Sometimes what's not said on this board is just as loud as what is said.

I don't even know what being an "insider" means, but I know a lot of NJ hoops people and anyone who knows the Andersons at all would consider this "rumor" to be so much nonsense. However, no one knows what any other person is going to do in such circumstances and that's why there is no such thing as an "insider." I will give one reason some people who's opinion I respect think KA  is seriously considering SHU and that's that he is maturing significantly as a player and with that has come out of the shadows of other players and is emerging as a dominating but very team oriented player. He can have a role at SHU he might not be able to have at the other schools. Just pure speculation but one thing I am pretty sure of, the Andersons will make an intelligent decision based on what is best for Kyle's development as a player and person and no one knows but them what the real criteria for making that decision is.   

MCNPA

« Reply #468 on: July 16, 2011, 09:17:33 AM »
Is this whole KA Sr. thing totally speculation on what Seton Hall could possibly do in order to land Kyle, or is there some kind of rumor that its based off of? From what I see from this thread it went from a "what if" Seton Hall hires KA sr., to more of a "I cant believe they are trying to do this." Just curious if this is something that somebody has heard as an actual possibility, or if everyone is thinking outside the box on how Seton Hall could possibly land Kyle.

Notice how the posters who are known to be insiders haven't shot down the speculation? Sometimes what's not said on this board is just as loud as what is said.

I don't even know what being an "insider" means, but I know a lot of NJ hoops people and anyone who knows the Andersons at all would consider this "rumor" to be so much nonsense. However, no one knows what any other person is going to do in such circumstances and that's why there is no such thing as an "insider." I will give one reason some people who's opinion I respect think KA  is seriously considering SHU and that's that he is maturing significantly as a player and with that has come out of the shadows of other players and is emerging as a dominating but very team oriented player. He can have a role at SHU he might not be able to have at the other schools. Just pure speculation but one thing I am pretty sure of, the Andersons will make an intelligent decision based on what is best for Kyle's development as a player and person and no one knows but them what the real criteria for making that decision is.   

If you mean that the role he will play at Seton Hall that he won't at other schools is being double-teamed all day, then I agree with you.  Kyle Anderson will play a significant role at all the schools on his list, both as a forward and as a ball-handler.  He won't have any talent to distribute to at the Hall.  Willard's offense  at the Hall looked disjointed and overall atrocious last season.  Hazell bailed them out a ton, otherwise the season would have continued on it's path the way it was during his injury.  Being a "team oriented" player is great.  It requires the requisite talent around you though.  I thought the reason SJU made the tourney last season and was so successful was because Lavin and Dunlap had us playing some of the best "team oriented" ball that I've seen SJU play.

« Reply #469 on: July 16, 2011, 09:27:26 AM »
The more I think about it the only reason I see anyone choosing Seton Hall over us is because their attendance is so bad it will be easy for tons of  friends and family to get tickets over there whereas with us we are going to be playing to packed houses soon

« Reply #470 on: July 16, 2011, 09:36:41 AM »

I agree with your post, Logen.  I do believe in the end that Anderson and his father will make a thorough and efficient decision on where to attend college.  I also think the Hall is more of a player for his services than some of you may think.  I do feel somewhat confident Kyle will announce for St. John's.  As, I was told a few days ago at the Peach Jam....  Kyle is going to be a "dogfight."  Word was Seton Hall seems to be more of a threat in his recruiting than intially believed.

We will find out in about 2 months.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:38:17 AM by mjdinkins »

Logen

« Reply #471 on: July 16, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »

If you mean that the role he will play at Seton Hall that he won't at other schools is being double-teamed all day, then I agree with you.  Kyle Anderson will play a significant role at all the schools on his list, both as a forward and as a ball-handler.  He won't have any talent to distribute to at the Hall.  Willard's offense  at the Hall looked disjointed and overall atrocious last season.  Hazell bailed them out a ton, otherwise the season would have continued on it's path the way it was during his injury.  Being a "team oriented" player is great.  It requires the requisite talent around you though.  I thought the reason SJU made the tourney last season and was so successful was because Lavin and Dunlap had us playing some of the best "team oriented" ball that I've seen SJU play.

Willard inherited an incredibly dysfunctional group of players, it had nothing to do with Willard's "offense." You (and others) praise Polee or Harkless or whoever for having the courage to being the first to sign with Lavin during the disaster that was SJU basketball and by your logic they SHOULD NOT have signed with the Johnnies. Disjointed program and a coach who had been on the sidelines for years after being run out of UCLA. Well maybe, just maybe, KA is going to have the courage to do the same at SHU - at the end of the day I don't believe he will but I do believe they are a serious contender and believe me, he and his father know a helluva lot more about Willard's offense than any of us. As for SJU's talent, it is undeniable. However, with all that talent and Jevon Thomas coming, do you think Lavin is going to just give KA the ball the way they might at SHU? And don't think that SHU is talentless, they are not, and although it does not match SJU's, might KA want the challenge of seeing if he is good enough to raise it to another level while playing in his home state? I realize all of your posts are spun around the fact that you are a super SJU fan and there is obviously nothing wrong with that, this is a fan board, but I am just offering a viewpoint that is emerging because of KA's maturation as a player. At the end of the day, no one knows but the Andersons.     

MCNPA

« Reply #472 on: July 16, 2011, 11:18:23 AM »

Willard inherited an incredibly dysfunctional group of players, it had nothing to do with Willard's "offense." You (and others) praise Polee or Harkless or whoever for having the courage to being the first to sign with Lavin during the disaster that was SJU basketball and by your logic they SHOULD NOT have signed with the Johnnies. Disjointed program and a coach who had been on the sidelines for years after being run out of UCLA. Well maybe, just maybe, KA is going to have the courage to do the same at SHU - at the end of the day I don't believe he will but I do believe they are a serious contender and believe me, he and his father know a helluva lot more about Willard's offense than any of us. As for SJU's talent, it is undeniable. However, with all that talent and Jevon Thomas coming, do you think Lavin is going to just give KA the ball the way they might at SHU? And don't think that SHU is talentless, they are not, and although it does not match SJU's, might KA want the challenge of seeing if he is good enough to raise it to another level while playing in his home state? I realize all of your posts are spun around the fact that you are a super SJU fan and there is obviously nothing wrong with that, this is a fan board, but I am just offering a viewpoint that is emerging because of KA's maturation as a player. At the end of the day, no one knows but the Andersons.   

Those "dysfunctional" players are a heck of a lot more talented than the guys he has coming in.  Grennan, Wilson, Karlis... cmon.   The talent there IS that bad.  Outside of the transfer Oliver and maybe Fuquan Edwin or a solid Cosby, there isn't much at all. Harkless and Polee signed with Lavin, a coach who has been to Sweet 16 after Final 8 after Sweet 16 after Sweet 16 after... well... you get the point.  Willard is an unproven coach and couldn't go anywhere in the MAAC. 

As far as Kyle getting the ball in his hands, I think Lavin and Dunlap have a lot more of an idea on what they'd do with Kyle than Willard.  If Kyle wants to subscribe to the idea that going to a school who will "give him the damn ball" is the best for him, then so be it.  Even with Jevon on board, I believe that Kyle will have ample opportunity to showcase his skills both at the PG spot and forward spots. 

Maturation of a player should mean that he's approaching things in a rational manner both on and off the court.  I too suspect they'll choose what is best for them.  None of this is coming from me being a SJU fan though.  I think UCLA, Georgetown and Florida are all a LOT better places for Kyle to show his skills...  Do I think SJU is a great fit?  Yes, for quite a few reasons.  I just happen to be unimpressed with Willard thus far.  Kyle wants to go there, then he certainly should.  What will happen though is that he'll be trying to drop the ball into zones because there is almost nobody on that roster coming in who can break guys down off the dribble.

As a SJU fan, I'd hate to lose such a nice overall talent, but we will be fine no matter what. 

« Reply #473 on: July 16, 2011, 04:11:07 PM »

Lavin had resurrected himself on ESPN image wise and plenty of good coaches have been run out of UCLA.  There's a big difference between, Hi I'm Steve Lavin of ESPN and 5 Sweet Sixteens fame and Hi I'm Kevin Williard of my dad got me in with Rick Pitino and then Rick got me a head coaching job and I've had one winning season fame.  Call SHU's players dysfunctional last yearif you want, they were, but they were also very talented.  A good coach would have had them winning last year.  ButI don't think SHU can afford a good coach, much like STJ before they bit the bullet with Lavin.

Marillac

« Reply #474 on: July 16, 2011, 04:12:09 PM »

As for SJU's talent, it is undeniable. However, with all that talent and Jevon Thomas coming, do you think Lavin is going to just give KA the ball the way they might at SHU? And don't think that SHU is talentless, they are not, and although it does not match SJU's, might KA want the challenge of seeing if he is good enough to raise it to another level while playing in his home state?     

If there is one pattern in college basketball over the last 20 years, it is that kid's that can handle the ball, pass, and make good decisions find time on the floor--especially in the Big East.  You can go back to Shamgod and Corey Wright for Providence in 97, Walker and Napier this last year for Uconn, Devendorf and Flynn for Syracuse, Uconn's first championship team with El-Amin and 6'2 Ricky Moore, and Villanova's three-PG look of Nardi, Ray, and Foye...even Duke with Ewing and Duhon and Williams in 2001...they all averaged over 80 mpg combined. 

Kyle will get minutes wherever he chooses.  It's that simple.  He is the most unique player in the country.  We have athletes galore, but for many of them ball-handling is their primary deficiency.  I could see a lineup of Thomas, Harrison, Harkless, Anderson, and Sampson just running past teams.  Five guys that can handle, five guys that can shoot, five guys that can pass, three guys that are 6'8, and a zone to protect the lack of a true big man. 

Gumby

« Reply #475 on: July 16, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »
Marillac's recent post on KA's passing ability reminded me of something from our past.  Remember the look on Omar Cook's face whenever he made one of his patented "thread the needle" passes to a team mate under the basket, just to see it go out of bounds.  While I thought Omar was immature for that look, you could see he was frustrated.

While I am not comparing Omar's on the court make up to KA's, a great passer needs a great set of receivers on the other end.  I think I know of a certain college in Queens that just might have a stockpile of great receivers for KA to pass to for the next few years.

« Reply #476 on: July 16, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »
What the Florida insiders have been saying...

The Florida people feel they have a really good shot here.  Partially because they consider the competition for KA to be "beneath them" program-wise, also because they feel Bradley Beal (who may not even be around next season depending on how his freshman season goes) can be the other half of the "Batman & Robin" combination KA desires.  They feel once they get him on campus they can seal the deal.  They also believe that Norm's relationship with him will be a HUGE factor.  That would be a colossal kick in the groin, if we lost a guy BECAUSE of Norm, who couldn't bring in a top recruit to save his life here.

crgreen

« Reply #477 on: July 16, 2011, 08:50:02 PM »
I'd worry about Westwood, CA.   If the "Batman and Robin" sentiment is true, and if UCLA lands Shabazz Mohammad as expected...and if Josh Smith stays around for his Jr year, and Reeves Nelson for his senior, that'd be just downright scary with Kyle getting them the ball, as well as a PG who's already had a 220 assist season in high D-1 (Larry Drew)...that could be a squad of up to 8 McD AAs  (Already have Smith, Drew, DWear, & TWear - Mohamad and Anderson are locks for 2012 McD, as is Shaq Goodwin if he comes.  Recent verbal Jordan Adams has an outside chance - he figures to be "the guy" at Oak Hill next seaason after being their #2 scorer behind Quinn Cook this year)...

I want Kyle at either St. Johns, or on the other side of the country at UCLA....really think those are the two best spots for him as a player.   
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:59:55 PM by crgreen »

Marillac

« Reply #478 on: July 16, 2011, 09:27:11 PM »
What the Florida insiders have been saying...

The Florida people feel they have a really good shot here.  Partially because they consider the competition for KA to be "beneath them" program-wise, also because they feel Bradley Beal (who may not even be around next season depending on how his freshman season goes) can be the other half of the "Batman & Robin" combination KA desires.  They feel once they get him on campus they can seal the deal.  They also believe that Norm's relationship with him will be a HUGE factor.  That would be a colossal kick in the groin, if we lost a guy BECAUSE of Norm, who couldn't bring in a top recruit to save his life here.

Florida has the best track record with similar players...Calathes is as close as you'll fidn to Anderson.  I'm not sure what Florida thinks they are above with G'town and UCLA there and with the turn our program has just made.  Our class was better than there class this year.

Beal will be a lottery pick next season, so he shouldn't even factore into the equation.

« Reply #479 on: July 16, 2011, 09:40:38 PM »
I'd worry about Westwood, CA.   If the "Batman and Robin" sentiment is true, and if UCLA lands Shabazz Mohammad as expected...and if Josh Smith stays around for his Jr year, and Reeves Nelson for his senior, that'd be just downright scary with Kyle getting them the ball, as well as a PG who's already had a 220 assist season in high D-1 (Larry Drew)...that could be a squad of up to 8 McD AAs  (Already have Smith, Drew, DWear, & TWear - Mohamad and Anderson are locks for 2012 McD, as is Shaq Goodwin if he comes.  Recent verbal Jordan Adams has an outside chance - he figures to be "the guy" at Oak Hill next seaason after being their #2 scorer behind Quinn Cook this year)...

I want Kyle at either St. Johns, or on the other side of the country at UCLA....really think those are the two best spots for him as a player.   

Offtopic, but I think Reeves Nelson is a top 5 player next year