Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #520 on: July 25, 2011, 08:42:24 PM »
Kareem Canty says SH leads and they have been for a while. How does Willard play this in relation to Kyle?

I think it doesn't play a role at all. KA is a top 5-10 recruit nationally and is a program changing recruit and will get his minutes and playing time no matter what. Kareem Canty is probably 10-15th in the class at his position, so I don't think it sways Kyle one way or the other. And people always forget that in college you just throw your best guys out there especially in the backcourt, so Kyle and him can play together. But even then, they'll have Cosby as a Soph, and Fuquan as a Jr, So Canty can come off the bench, if he's not better than Cosby. If anything it may help, raises the talent level coming in. At this point, SHU needs to raise the overall talent level of their program, regardless of position.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:46:44 PM by agony45 »

Moose

« Reply #521 on: July 25, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »
Kareem Canty says SH leads and they have been for a while. How does Willard play this in relation to Kyle?

Hall did lead for Canty then I heard he wanted to open it up more. Who knows.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #522 on: July 25, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »

I think it makes more of a difference for SHU than it does for us.  I think that SHU's main selling point is a vacant PG spot.  SJU has much more to offer with respect to coaching, supporting cast etc.  At this point I don't think that Reinhardt would hurt us in Anderson's recruitment at all.  Canty might hurt the Hall's but I still doubt that.  The Hall needs talent and is IMO stupid if they don't take a guy like Canty when they have little talent on board.  Cosby is not a PG.  If they strike on Anderson, they're up the creek.  I think they should go hard for Canty as well as Anderson.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if they bowed out of the Anderson stakes, but that isn't happening.  They need talent a LOT more than we do.  If Anderson goes to the Hall or Georgetown it won't kill us, even though I'd love to have him.

« Reply #523 on: July 25, 2011, 09:07:25 PM »

UCLA was giving Canty some looks. Not sure if that changed after Artsis but Canty will be going to Prep out in AZ next year.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #524 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »

I think it makes more of a difference for SHU than it does for us.  I think that SHU's main selling point is a vacant PG spot.  SJU has much more to offer with respect to coaching, supporting cast etc.  At this point I don't think that Reinhardt would hurt us in Anderson's recruitment at all.  Canty might hurt the Hall's but I still doubt that.  The Hall needs talent and is IMO stupid if they don't take a guy like Canty when they have little talent on board.  Cosby is not a PG.  If they strike on Anderson, they're up the creek.  I think they should go hard for Canty as well as Anderson.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if they bowed out of the Anderson stakes, but that isn't happening.  They need talent a LOT more than we do.  If Anderson goes to the Hall or Georgetown it won't kill us, even though I'd love to have him.

Agree with your post, MCN!  Not to mention, Reinhardt projects as a SG once he gets to college.  IMO, he doesn't hurt us at all with Anderson.  I still feel confident in garnering Anderson's services.

« Reply #525 on: July 25, 2011, 09:30:54 PM »

UCLA was giving Canty some looks. Not sure if that changed after Artsis but Canty will be going to Prep out in AZ next year.

Word was Canty was set to verbal to Xavier a few weeks back and then Daniel Dingle decided to get in his ear and open up his recruitment.  He even mentioned that he thought he would be a perfect fit for a PAC 10 school.  And then you heard UCLA and Washington being thrown around.  And now he is going to prep at Westwind in Arizona.

It was a gamble on his part because Xavier quickly dropped him and just picked up Semaj Christon today.  And those PAC 10 schools were not exactly tripping over themselves trying to watch him.

UCLA in addition to getting Artis is a finalist with Texas for BOTH Jevan Felix and LJ Rose.  Not sure if he ever gets a UCLA offer.

Marillac

« Reply #526 on: July 25, 2011, 10:39:37 PM »

Agree with your post, MCN!  Not to mention, Reinhardt projects as a SG once he gets to college.  IMO, he doesn't hurt us at all with Anderson.  I still feel confident in garnering Anderson's services.

Anderson and Rehinhardt would give us absurd vision and passing from our SG an SF/PF positions. 

« Reply #527 on: July 25, 2011, 10:44:02 PM »
Anderson and Rehinhardt would give us absurd vision and passing from our SG an SF/PF positions. 

Those two would be....

« Reply #528 on: July 26, 2011, 12:13:29 PM »
Per Zagsblog....

St. Anthony point guard Kyle Anderson is still considering, UCLA, according to his dad, along with Seton Hall, St. John’s, Florida and Georgetown.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/07/26/stokes-cuts-kentucky-recruiting-roundup/

« Reply #529 on: July 26, 2011, 02:40:32 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....  A layman's guide to the Class of 2012.

Kyle Anderson, 6-7, SF (Fairview, N.J.)

Telep: "Anderson won a high school national championship as a junior. He's a 6-8 point guard ala the Magic Johnson family -- notice I didn't say he was Magic Johnson, there's a difference. St. John's, Florida, Georgetown, Seton Hall and UCLA made the final cut. To recap: He's a winner, can pass and other guys respect him."

Brennan: St. John's might have the best young crop of talent of any team in the running for Anderson's services, so it wouldn't be a killer to lose out on the unconventional point guard. Seton Hall, just now recovering from the mess that was the Bobby Gonzalez era, is in the biggest need of a high-profile recruiting upset. Perhaps the scariest prospect, at least for the rest of the SEC, is Florida's hope that Anderson will show up in time to play a year alongside shooting guard Bradley Beal, who will be a freshman of the year candidate in Gainesville this season.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6802891/a-recruiting-layman-guide-basketball-class-2012

pmg911

« Reply #530 on: July 26, 2011, 04:35:03 PM »
I have said it all along, I think he stays home and goes to Seton Hall.

« Reply #531 on: July 26, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »
He can also stay home and go to St. John's.

« Reply #532 on: July 26, 2011, 04:55:09 PM »

What will you do if he chooses SJU?

MCNPA

« Reply #533 on: July 26, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »

I don't think it is out of the question.  I think he might have a rough time there with little supporting talent, but that's his decision.  If SJU loses out on him. I still dont think we are going to lose a step moving forward.  The Hall losing out on him means big trouble for them.  He's their Darius Miles or Sylvan Landesberg.  No sweat for us.  Still want to see him here though.

« Reply #534 on: July 26, 2011, 09:23:40 PM »
new video from dyckman. Lots of KA highlights

Dyckman Park GothamHoops.com Mixtape
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #535 on: July 26, 2011, 09:42:29 PM »
Go work for Lehman you heretic ;)

crgreen

« Reply #536 on: July 27, 2011, 03:34:17 AM »

I don't think it is out of the question.  I think he might have a rough time there with little supporting talent, but that's his decision. If SJU loses out on him. I still dont think we are going to lose a step moving forward.  The Hall losing out on him means big trouble for them.  He's their Darius Miles or Sylvan Landesberg.  No sweat for us.  Still want to see him here though.

Have to disagree.   It seems like Steve has spoiled fans already.    SJU has made tremendous inroads in only 1 year.  It is landing terrific talent.  But so far nobody "top 30".  So far no McD AA's.     You CAN'T say losing a consensus top FIVE player many consider "yours to lose" to another school doesn't cost you a step moving forward.  You can't say, "oh, we'll just go grab us ANOTHER top 5 player instead".   

There's a REASON Kyle Anderson is a consensus top 5 player.   Despite the nitpicking about quickness, everyone knows he's "that" talented.   Even at Steve's "magical level" of recruiting, being THIS close to landing a top 5 player is still going to be as rare as a yeti sighting.   When you get this strong a strike on your line and DON'T land them in your boat, it IS a HUGE step lost for your program.   HUGE.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:39:23 AM by crgreen »

Poison

« Reply #537 on: July 27, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »
crgreen, how does anyone know that what kind of player he'll be at the next level?

He's a top 5 recruit, and one that will guarantee nothing for St.John's.
We have enough talent right now to make a final four run in two years.

Adding yet another swingman to a team that already has Harkless, Pointer, Garrett and Sampson
is overkill. This team needs size. I could care less if they land this kid. The fact that he's even looking at the Hall
is a strike against him. If he chooses them, he'll be the one who is sorry. Not us.

MCNPA

« Reply #538 on: July 27, 2011, 08:36:26 AM »
I agree partially cr, but don't think is as big a blow as you might think.

I don't think that SJU suffers a huge blow talent-wise if we lose him.  I think there is certainly some big dividends by landing the kid though.  You have to remember the track that SJU is on now compared to where we were.  Uconn won more titles with nary a top 10 kid than most schools in recent memory, and bunches of the kids in the lower 100 ranking. 

I think maybe that perception-wise for some it might hurt us,mbut considering where we have been and looking at the kids we're strong with over the next few years, I think we're in really great shape regardless.  What landing Kyle Anderson does, certainly does put us at a different level with respect to national recognition recruiting-wise.  It puts other schools on watch and garners a lot more attention for the program amongst bball fans.

I am still quite confident that he will choose SJU.  I still think that SJU offers the most to Kyle and he can shine more here than the others on his list with the guys that Lavin has surrounding him.  If we do lose him, it won't kill us, but landing him certainly has big benefits.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:47:05 AM by MCNPA »

Foad

« Reply #539 on: July 27, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
Have to disagree.   It seems like Steve has spoiled fans already.    SJU has made tremendous inroads in only 1 year.  It is landing terrific talent.  But so far nobody "top 30".  So far no McD AA's.     You CAN'T say losing a consensus top FIVE player many consider "yours to lose" to another school doesn't cost you a step moving forward.  You can't say, "oh, we'll just go grab us ANOTHER top 5 player instead".   

There's a REASON Kyle Anderson is a consensus top 5 player.   Despite the nitpicking about quickness, everyone knows he's "that" talented.   Even at Steve's "magical level" of recruiting, being THIS close to landing a top 5 player is still going to be as rare as a yeti sighting.   When you get this strong a strike on your line and DON'T land them in your boat, it IS a HUGE step lost for your program.   HUGE.

Agree to disagree with your assertion that a fisherman who brings a yeti to the side of the boat takes a step backward by not getting the yeti aboard. The yeti is a land based creature, so even hooking one is an accomplishment, and if the line breaks while its being gaffed or some other mishap occurs there's no shame in that. In William Faulker's The Old Man and the Yeti the fisherman protagonist (called Boo Radley) fails to land the enormous abominable snowman he hooks while trolling for the Loch Ness monster, which sasquatch is subsequently eaten by chupacabras as he tows the beast back to shore, and yet TOMATS is generally regarded as a story of human courage in the face of overwhemling adversity.

Of greater concern however, is the formatting of your post. The post contains 145 words: nearly one fifth (18 percent), 26 words out 145, have special formatting. Nine words (6 percent) are in ALL CAPS, including THIS and IS. Seventeen words (11 percent) are included within quotation marks, including 5 words and phrases in "scare quotes."  I sometimes advise readers who seemingly have difficulty understanding simple points that Im attempting that I'll underline the important bits so that they can go back and reread them at their leisure, but I do that to be rude and obnoxious. Here you are talking to my boon companion MCN as if he is a slow child to whom you are explaining how to tie his shoes, painstakingly capitalizing LACES and FEET. Are you attempting to be rude as well? Or is it TO BE ride, or to be RUDE. To be capitalized, or not be to capitalized, that is the question.

fun facts:

- The phrase top 5 appears three times, once in scare quotes, once in quotation marks, and once with no special formatting. In that phrase the number 5 appears both as the numeral and the word FIVE, in all caps, ie, top FIVE and top 5. Whereas the phrase top 30, using only numerals and lower case letters, appears but only in "scare quotes"

- In the phrase "you can't say," which begins the 7th and 8th sentences, can't is in all caps in the 7th and lower case in the 8th. So presumably although it is not not permissible to say either thing that follows, but you CAN'T say the first thing louder.

- Both can't and don't appear in ALLCAPS; doesn't, however, doesn't. Does that mean that you CAN'T capitalize doesn't, or that you can capialize it but DON'T choose to, or that you can, but one doesn't.

- Huge appears twice, both times in ALL CAPS. That's big.

- thisNthat: "That" appears in SCARE QUOTES. THIS appears in "all caps."