he is a pure point but because of his size he plays every position

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #601 on: July 31, 2011, 05:51:57 AM »

Thank you KOB.

« Reply #602 on: July 31, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »

Exactly, KOB!  Mr. Versatile!  Put him at 1-5 and he'll be able to play each position with efficiency.

I tell 'ya....   I really want this kid.

« Reply #603 on: July 31, 2011, 04:47:02 PM »
The more highlights I see of this kid he reminds me of Lloyd "Sweet Pea" Daniels. He beats you like our own Bootsy Thorton used to-as his juco coach used to say about Bootsy "he is like slow death". The great Wizard of Westwood used to say that basketball is a game of quickness but Anderson proves that there is another way-slow death!

« Reply #604 on: July 31, 2011, 04:54:51 PM »
The more highlights I see of this kid he reminds me of Lloyd "Sweet Pea" Daniels. He beats you like our own Bootsy Thorton used to-as his juco coach used to say about Bootsy "he is like slow death". The great Wizard of Westwood used to say that basketball is a game of quickness but Anderson proves that there is another way-slow death!

He may be foot slow.
But his quickness is in his mind.
Brother can see the next play before it happens. Special player.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

crgreen

« Reply #605 on: July 31, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »

Exactly, KOB!  Mr. Versatile!  Put him at 1-5 and he'll be able to play each position with efficiency.

I tell 'ya....   I really want this kid.

Really amazed at the number of posters (mostly other boards) who've seen the videos of him, and DON'T see a guard.  As if they think you're not as quick or fast as a Chris Paul you can't play a pg spot. 

It reminds me of the Great Vin Scully calling a world seriese game, many years ago.  ABC was carrying, and they had a split broadcast crew for 3 innings - the ABC guys, in this case Howard Cossell (yes, THAT long ago), and the participating team's broadcaster - Scully.  Dodger 3rd basemen Ron "The Penguin" Cey was on 2nd base with two out, catcher Joe Fergueson was at the plate.   Cosell was pontificating as always - "Fergueson will have to get at least a double to get the very slow Penguin home".   To which Vinnie corrected him on the air.  "That's a misconception about Ron, because of his build.  He's not a fast runner.  But he's a GOOD runner -  he has AVERAGE major league speed - he can get home from 2nd on anything thru the infield".    In other words, as fast as he needs to be to do the job.   Not the fastest MLB guy, but he'd beat the absolute snot out of the average Joe in a footrace...

That was the same game Vin DIDN'T embarrass Howard by correctnig him on another point - also regarding Cey.   When he'd come up to bat, Cossell referred to him as "The Penguin", then proceeded to tell the national audience that "of course, they call Cey the Penguin because he waddles like a duck".   And while Vinnie bit his tongue on the air, a couple million Dodger fans were screaming at their TVs, "No, they call him Penguin because he waddles like a Penguin.  If he waddled like a duck, they'd call him....THE DUCK"....

Anyway - I look at Anderson, and see a kid who could get it done from 4 positions - including the Point.   Heck - he's at least as fast as Ernie DiGregorio - only 8 inches taller!    I watched my Bruins win two  NCAA titles with the equally slow John Vallely at the point - then 2 more with speed-challenged Greg Lee at the point - with Lee beating out cat-quick (and very talented) classmate Tommy Curtis for the job.   Lee saw the floor better, could feed the bigs inside better (Walton), and (what he had in common with Vallely) while he didn't have a flashy handle, he had a SOLID handle - when Lee (or Vallely) brought the ball upcourt, you KNEW it would GET to the frontcourt - NO ONE took the ball from Greg Lee - if the break wasn't there, you knew he was getting the ball up the court, and the team into it's offense.   That's very much what I see in Anderson.    Whether it's from the  1, 2, 3, or 4.  Whether he's primary bringing the ball up or secondary - he'll get his team into their offense.

« Reply #606 on: July 31, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »

He may be foot slow.
Totally agree. I was trying to be complimentary. Sweat Pea was a great talent. Anderson can score but is also a great passer. Maybe Magic Johnson like-but Magic in my opnion was best ever.

crgreen

« Reply #607 on: July 31, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »

He may be foot slow.
Totally agree. I was trying to be complimentary. Sweat Pea was a great talent. Anderson can score but is also a great passer. Maybe Magic Johnson like-but Magic in my opnion was best ever.

Wow - thats some statement from someone with YOUR screen-name!

In the olden days (pre-web), when folks used to meet in bars to discuss such things over a couple of pitchers of beer, I used to always be able to goad my Boston acquaintences by getting into a "who's better - Bird or Magic" discussion.    I'd point out Magic's decent stats, while making his team and his temmates better, so he won MORE Championships.   My Boston-Bird supporters would then start quoting chapter and verse on Birds significant superiority in Pts, Rebounds, Shooting percentage, etc. - making Larry the obvious choice for better player.

To which I'd say, thanks for confirming Wilt was better than Russell  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:10:23 PM by crgreen »

boo3

« Reply #608 on: July 31, 2011, 05:14:53 PM »

He may be foot slow.

In the olden days (pre-web), when folks used to meet in bars to discuss such things over a couple of pitchers of beer, I used to always be able to goad my Boston acquaintences by getting into a "who's better - Bird or Magic" discussion.    I'd point out Magic's decent stats, while making his team and his temmates better, so he won MORE Championships.   My Boston-Bird supporters would then start quoting chapter and verse on Birds significant superiority in Pts, Rebounds, Shooting percentage, etc. - making Larry the obvious choice for better player.

Great documentary on Magic and Bird on recently. Its either one of those ESPN 30/30 or and HBO special. I thought it was great.  I'm 38 so i was fortunate enough to catch these guys towards the end of their careers.  Never realized how much they truly despised each other early on though.  As their careers and personalities matured they became great friends.  Awesome story.  Highly recommend it. 

Almost impossible to pick the better player. Bird was a flat out killer, Magic was Showtime!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:15:16 PM by boo3 »

MCNPA

« Reply #609 on: July 31, 2011, 05:16:14 PM »
I'd add what is also underrated is the fact that Anderson has a nice jump shot and fadeaway that he also has honed.  He need to be guarded as smaller players are going to be shot over for easy midrange high post jumpers.  Gotta land him. 

Gumby

« Reply #610 on: July 31, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
Wow, over 600 posts on KA.  And as someone mentioned earlier this might be an all time record.

So, KA that must show you how interested we are in welcoming you on board.  We have ready for you the following:
*  A top level head coach who has helped a good number of college players make it in the NBA.  He is also a very fine person.
*  A top of the line coaching staff, supporting Coach Lavin, with all kinds of NBA and college experiences.
*  NBA players dropping in throughout to practice at St. John's.
*  A supporting player roster that is among the best in the country.  This Team will go far in the next few years. I think you will also like the personality of this team.
*  An opening for someone who would like to play either the PG or Point Forward positions. (Does that ring a bell?)
*  What should be a top level 2012 incoming class that already includes a buddy (the Bayou Bull) and possibly another bud (AJ)?
*  A newly refurbished MSG!
*  The Big Apple and the Media Center of the World!
*  30 minutes from home! So your Family can see up close and personal!
*  The best fan website in the nation (JJ).

So KA, we are ready to help you celebrate your birthday in Red Storm style!

« Reply #611 on: July 31, 2011, 05:55:17 PM »
I'd add what is also underrated is the fact that Anderson has a nice jump shot and fadeaway that he also has honed.  He need to be guarded as smaller players are going to be shot over for easy midrange high post jumpers.  Gotta land him. 

No doubt about it, MCN!  He always had a decent jumper, but rarely used it.  Not to mention, his fadeaway is becoming fairly consistent.  Anderson also uses his length and reach to make some tough layups.  His arms just extends out like the cartoon guy, Plastic Man.

« Reply #612 on: July 31, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »

He may be foot slow.

Based on talent I always thought Wilt was better than Russell. Magic the best because he CREATED passing angles with the dribble and than got the ball to the player in position to score making all of his teammates better players better than anyone ever which is why he is my best player ever.

« Reply #613 on: July 31, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »
I'll occasionally venture over to other teams boards when they are recruiting the same player(s) as the Johnnies.  I've noticed some Seton Hall fans and now this G'town fan DO NOT have a clue when it comes to Lavin and his recruitment of Anderson.

I believe some of these fans of the opposing teams has taken something Kyle's dad said during the Peach Jam and has totally taken it out of context.  Lavin misses one game and now it suddenly means he's missed the majority of his games and sending assistants to watch Anderson.  IMO, I think it boils down to false observation and fear.

http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=recruit&thread=19467&page=17#446412

Willard and SH have put in their work in the time they've been on the job and Lavin has half assed it--he's by far missed the most games of Anderson's--although to his defense his wallet was stolen and he had to remain out West.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:53:17 PM by mjdinkins »

Gumby

« Reply #614 on: July 31, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »
MJ, good post! 

It is always interesting to view other colleges' fan websites.  I remember the UM fan base when we signed Sir Dom. Brutal!

You are right, some of the fans at the other schools recruiting KA seem to be in a fog in regards to Coach Lavin's recruiting effort.  I guess his work last year and with the Bayou Bull were a mirage.

Stay in the dark GU and SH fans, we will show you the light on 9/20 with another Red Storm happening.

« Reply #615 on: July 31, 2011, 08:46:37 PM »
Question:  How many more scolarship does St. John's currently have to give in their 2012 class if everybody coming into St. John's from this past 2011 class qualifies this year and there's no further unexpected attrition?  [Two or three in total including Gathers?]

« Reply #616 on: July 31, 2011, 08:52:23 PM »
Gathers + 2 more.( 3 total)

There are 10 scholarship players this year with none graduating May 2012

it used to be Jevon plus 2
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:53:38 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #617 on: July 31, 2011, 08:53:34 PM »
MJ, good post! 

It is always interesting to view other colleges' fan websites.  I remember the UM fan base when we signed Sir Dom. Brutal!

You are right, some of the fans at the other schools recruiting KA seem to be in a fog in regards to Coach Lavin's recruiting effort.  I guess his work last year and with the Bayou Bull were a mirage.

Stay in the dark GU and SH fans, we will show you the light on 9/20 with another Red Storm happening.

Oh!  Michigan fans were highly ticked they "lost" Pointer to the Johnnies.  Several of 'em was ripping Lavin like none no other.  It was ridiculous over there.

The Hall and G'town fans needs a harsh lesson to be careful not to gumbump so soon.  Hopefully, humble pie will be served to both of 'em on September 20th. 

« Reply #618 on: July 31, 2011, 08:54:44 PM »
gumbump ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:56:17 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #619 on: July 31, 2011, 09:05:18 PM »
gumbump ?

LOL  Interpretation:  Running their mouths.